Mass production of industrial goods, such as furniture, clothing or ball pens, is inexpensive. In the future, even small series of individualized products might be manufactured rapidly and efficiently by means of intelligent machines that communicate with each other.
To this end, researchers of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) coordinate the SkillPro EU research project that is aimed at finding innovative solutions to considerably reduce changeover times in the production process.
Having completed one order, manufacture of any new product ordered mostly requires a modification of the production process. When manufacturing small series, preparation, setup, and programming of the machine park often take much longer than manufacture proper. “Machines equipped with additional intelligence and communicating with each other are expected to significantly reduce the changeover time,” says engineer Thomas Maier, Managing Director of KIT’s Institute for Information Management in Engineering (IMI). A machine equipped with camera sensors, for instance, can recognize any workpiece even in case of changing products. Having examined the workpiece’s shape and position, the machine can decide how to apply its gripper or suction caps and where to place the workpiece. Depending on the product, machines having gripping, welding, or bonding skills can determine their next task or production step. They “communicate” with neighboring machines and know whether they have to ask for a mobile robot to transport the product to the next workstation or the shipping department of the company.
The Latest on: Intelligent Machines
via Google News
The Latest on: Intelligent Machines
- What Kind Of Relationship Are We Going To Have With Our Machines In The Future? OPINIONon June 28, 2020 at 7:48 pm
Great mathematics and IT-pioneers like Alan Turing wormed our way into an advanced reality we’re living today interacting with super-intelligent machines able to communicate, self-learn, and create.
- Get ready for the rise of ‘intelligent’ RPA in APACon June 28, 2020 at 5:54 pm
Companies in APAC are looking to bounce back strong post-pandemic, by adopting intelligent process automation (IPA) systems to enhance business productivity ...
- AI Conversations: Paving a Path to Intelligent Manufacturingon June 25, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Manufacturers need to capitalize more fully on artificial intelligence, edge computing, and related emerging technologies to increase productivity and gain greater control over operations.
- Blue Ridge Enhances Machine Learning Capabilities for Price Optimizationon June 24, 2020 at 7:34 am
Blue Ridge announced today enhancements to its suite of next-gen cloud-based Price Optimization solutions, which leverage machine learning to quickly.
- IBM and SAP Announce New Offerings to Help Companies' Journey to the Intelligent Enterpriseon June 24, 2020 at 5:11 am
IBM (NYSE: IBM) and SAP SE (NYSE: SAP) today announced their partnership's next evolution, with plans to develop several new offerings designed to create a more predictable journey for businesses to ...
- Intelligent Virtual Assistant (IVA) Market – Industry Demand, Share, Size, Growth Opportunities and Future Trends by 2026on June 24, 2020 at 12:33 am
Growing application areas for Artificial Intelligence (AI) based systems and solutions will power the global intelligent virtual assistant market, according to Fortune Business Insights, which shares ...
- Intelligent Process Automation Market Outlook By Size, Share, Future Growth and Forecast From 2020-2026on June 23, 2020 at 11:35 pm
Kenneth Research has published a detailed report on Intelligent Process Automation Market which has been categorized ...
- Health Intelligent Virtual Assistant Market to...on June 23, 2020 at 1:40 am
The global Health Intelligent Virtual Assistants Market size is projected to touch USD 2.95 billion by the end of 2025, as ...
- Have Some Dad Fun: Tell Him That Self-Driving Cars On Earth Might Discover Intelligent Life On Other Planets And See What He Sayson June 20, 2020 at 9:29 am
Ask him if there is intelligent life beyond our planet. Nobody yet knows, though there are plenty of efforts to find out. The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has been going on for many ...
- Intelligent Automation Innovation Contract Awardedon June 19, 2020 at 8:14 am
Accenture Federal Services was awarded a opportunity to support the United States Patent and Trademark Office with intelligent automation, artificial intelligence, blockchain and other technology ...
via Bing News