“While our process is not yet optimised, we estimate that an ammonia decomposition reactor no bigger than a two-litre bottle will provide enough hydrogen to run a mid-range family car. “
A new technique for producing hydrogen from ammonia could allow for a new generation of clean, green vehicle fuels. Energy researchers at the UK’s Science and Technology Facilities Council have developed a way of turning ammonia into hydrogen that’s far cheaper than previous methods.
While hydrogen is an excellent fuel source, and totally carbon-free, it’s difficult to store on board a vehicle in a safe and efficient manner — just ask the pilots of the Hindenburg. Converting existing fossil fuel infrastructure to hydrogen is also an expensive and complex task.
Ammonia has been eyed as a possible solution to both of those problems for some time. The gas could be stored on board vehicles at low pressures in plastic tanks, and delivered in a petrol station through the same infrastructure used for traditional fuel.
But turning that ammonia into hydrogen, a process known as “cracking”, has always been tricky. The best catalysts, which accelerate the process, are very expensive precious metals. The team’s breakthrough came from using two simultaneous chemical processes in place of that catalyst — achieving the same result at a fraction of the cost.
The Latest on: Hydrogen from ammonia
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen from ammonia
- A drug for cattle cuts the pollution of manure and pee, but the industry isn't using iton July 22, 2019 at 5:53 am
By the ton. It’s in their manure and especially in their urine. Because that pungent ammonia is a compound of nitrogen and hydrogen, it can form nitrous oxide and pump more greenhouse gas into the ... […]
- Set sail for the 1700s: Why the shipping industry is returning to technology from the history bookson July 21, 2019 at 3:41 am
Wartsila sees the future of the shipping industry ultimately lying elsewhere. Andrea Morgante, the vice president in charge of business development, believes hydrogen or ammonia could become the ... […]
- Carbon price key to hydrogen planson July 19, 2019 at 7:24 am
Yara International vice-president Sam Van Den Broeck told The Weekend Australian Yara plans to push ahead into a study into producing hydrogen at its Pilbara ammonia plant, but said the push by state ... […]
- Alkylamines Market Size 2019 2025 Is Predicted To See Lucrative Gains From Rubber Processing Applicationson July 16, 2019 at 12:29 am
Attachment of alkyl group on nitrogen atom of amine forms alkylamines compounds, they are being characterized by numbers of alkyl group substituting hydrogen atoms in ammonia. Alkylamines ... […]
- ‘Toxic gases’ from Gurugram’s Cyber City STP worry residentson July 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm
The letter also named pollutants such as carbon monoxide, ammonia, methane and hydrogen sulphide, as gases allegedly emanating from the plant. “We are sure this is not in compliance with pollution ... […]
- Sky Watch: Jupiter and its many moons put on a show this weekon July 7, 2019 at 9:28 am
It’s basically a big ball of hydrogen and helium gas with a diameter of around 88,000 ... The clouds are made up of methane, ammonia and sulfur compounds. There’s actually some subtle color to them. ... […]
- How many hydrogen bonds can ammonia form?on July 5, 2019 at 7:17 am
Of the covalent intermolecular attractive forces, hydrogen bonding is the strongest. It is though a special class of dipole-dipole attraction having the strongest dipole moments capable in a covalent ... […]
- EPA: Factory Farms Don’t Need to Report Emissionson July 2, 2019 at 2:05 am
Previously, farms had been required to report ammonia and hydrogen sulfide emissions over a certain threshold to local agencies. The same farms haven’t had to report emissions to federal authorities ... […]
- Diesel generators and trucks to use green ammonia fuelon June 16, 2019 at 6:06 pm
... and transport trucks to use Hydrofuel ammonia fuel and Ammonia Solutions multi-fuels systems. NH3 is the most environmentally benign fuel compared to gasoline, gaseous or liquid hydrogen, ... […]
- Japanese team synthesizes ammonia using water, nitrogenon April 25, 2019 at 2:04 am
Ammonia is widely used as a raw material for such products as synthetic fabrics and chemical fertilizers. Its global production amounts to about 150 million tons per year. Hydrogen, which is a fuel ... […]
via Bing News