The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
Computer scientists at the University of California, San Diego, have developed a tool that allows hardware designers and system builders to test security- a first for the field.
One of the tool’s potential uses is described in the May-June issue of IEEE Micro magazine.
“The stakes in hardware security are high”, said Ryan Kastner, a professor of computer science at the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego.
There is a big push to create the so-called Internet of Things, where all devices are connected and communicate with one another. As a result, embedded systems—small computer systems built around microcontrollers—are becoming more common. But they remain vulnerable to security breaches. Some examples of devices that may be hackable: medical devices, cars, cell phones and smart grid technology.
“Engineers traditionally design devices to be fast and use as little power as possible,” said Jonathan Valamehr, a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UC San Diego. “Oftentimes, they don’t design them with security in mind.”
The tool, based on the team’s research on Gate-level Information Flow Tracking, or GLIFT, tags critical pieces in a hardware’s security system and tracks them. The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
The Latest on: Internet of Things
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of Things
- Internet of Things Platform Market Analysis 2020 by Share, Top Companies, Future Growth, Revenue Analysis, Demand Forecast To 2023on May 28, 2020 at 7:06 pm
May 28, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) -- IoT is a multi-layer technology that manages, processes, and transfers information through connected devices with the ...
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) in Energy Market Size Expected to Grow from USD 20.2 billion in 2020 to USD 35.2 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 11.8%on May 28, 2020 at 3:08 am
The "Internet of Things (IoT) in Energy Market by Solution (Asset Management, Data Management and Analytics, SCADA, Energy Management), Service, Platform, Application (Oil and Gas, Smart Grid, Coal ...
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Market Overview, Cost Structure Analysis, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2026on May 28, 2020 at 2:15 am
Global “Internet of Things (IoT) Market” report presenting the detailed analysis of trends, drivers, challenges and ...
- Internet of Things Inc. Provides Annual Filings Updateon May 27, 2020 at 5:16 pm
CNW/ - Internet of Things Inc. (TSX VENTURE: ITT) (OTC: INOTF) ( FRANKFURT : 71T) ("ITT Inc." or the "Company") a software and solutions provider in the artificial intelligence and industrial IoT ...
- Itron, Discovery Education present ‘Internet of Things’ virtual field tripon May 27, 2020 at 9:14 am
In celebration of World Environment Day, Itron and Discovery Education—which specializes in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 ...
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Market Insights Report 2020 - Falling Sensor Costs Drive Proliferation of IoT - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 27, 2020 at 6:06 am
Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Internet of Things (IoT) market ...
- Know which key factors of Internet of Things (IoT) in Healthcare Market will be trendsetter in 2025? Top Players Involved-IBM, GE, Cisco, Medtronicon May 27, 2020 at 3:30 am
A Research study on Internet of Things (IoT) in Healthcare Market analyzes and offers ideas of exhaustive research on ancient and recent Internet of Things (IoT) in Healthcare market size. Along with ...
- RIoT Brick Raspberry Pi Internet of Things GPS tracker projecton May 26, 2020 at 3:37 am
Raspberry Pi enthusiasts looking for a new project to keep them busy, may be interested in this Raspberry Pi Internet of Things GPS tracker, aptly named ...
- How the Internet of Things will transform consumerism, enterprises, and governments over the next five yearson May 26, 2020 at 2:00 am
Consumers, companies, and governments will install more than 40 billion IoT devices worldwide through 2023. Business Insider Intelligence provides IoT forecasts to understand how this transformative ...
- 3 Ways Every Company Should Prepare For The Internet Of Thingson May 24, 2020 at 9:13 pm
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a technology trend that will impact every business. With the amount of smart connected devices exploding, here is how every company can get ready.
via Bing News