The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
Computer scientists at the University of California, San Diego, have developed a tool that allows hardware designers and system builders to test security- a first for the field.
One of the tool’s potential uses is described in the May-June issue of IEEE Micro magazine.
“The stakes in hardware security are high”, said Ryan Kastner, a professor of computer science at the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego.
There is a big push to create the so-called Internet of Things, where all devices are connected and communicate with one another. As a result, embedded systems—small computer systems built around microcontrollers—are becoming more common. But they remain vulnerable to security breaches. Some examples of devices that may be hackable: medical devices, cars, cell phones and smart grid technology.
“Engineers traditionally design devices to be fast and use as little power as possible,” said Jonathan Valamehr, a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UC San Diego. “Oftentimes, they don’t design them with security in mind.”
The tool, based on the team’s research on Gate-level Information Flow Tracking, or GLIFT, tags critical pieces in a hardware’s security system and tracks them. The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
The Latest on: Internet of Things
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of Things
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Market to Grow with a High CAGR- Global Industry Analysis, Key Manufacturers, Trends, Size, and 2025 Forecastson May 25, 2020 at 5:52 am
Global Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Market industry valued approximately USD 110.3 billion in 2016 is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than 26.8% over the forecast period ...
- Russia Internet of Things (IoT) Market Projected to Worth USD 74.0 Billion by 2023|IBM, Amazon, Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems Inc., PTC Inc.on May 25, 2020 at 12:27 am
Based on components, the Russia internet of things (IOT) market has been segmented into devices, sensors, actuators ...
- 3 Ways Every Company Should Prepare For The Internet Of Thingson May 24, 2020 at 9:13 pm
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a technology trend that will impact every business. With the amount of smart connected devices exploding, here is how every company can get ready.
- IoT 101: Your Essential Guide to the Internet of Thingson May 22, 2020 at 9:02 am
A new report from Business Insider Intelligence outlines the basics of the IoT and what this next wave of technology means to the everyday individual.
- Technology Platforms for Internet of Things (IoT) Market 2020 Global Covid-19 Impact, Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026on May 21, 2020 at 9:26 am
Covid-19 Impact on Technology Platforms for Internet of Things (IoT) Market 2020 Global Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Opportunities and Growth, Forecast 2026” Report Overview The report displays an ...
- Internet of Things (IoT) market worldwide is projected to grow by US$714.5 Billionon May 20, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Internet of Things (IoT) Industry" - Poised to reach over US$363.3 Billion by the year 2025, Applications & Analytics will bring in ...
- Alibaba Invests $1.4B In AI And Internet of Things Systems For Its Smart Speakerson May 20, 2020 at 8:54 am
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE: BABA) announced Wednesday it is investing 10 billion yuan ($1.4 billion) in an artificial intelligence and Internet of Things smart speaker system.What Happened Alibab ...
- Internet of Things (IoT) in Energy Market Expected to Grow $35.2 Billion by 2025on May 18, 2020 at 8:52 am
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire Northrook, IL -- ( SBWIRE) -- 05/18/2020 -- According to a research report " Internet of Things (IoT) in Energy Market by Solution (Asset ...
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Market & COVID-19, Forecast to 2021 - Pandemic Driven Opportunities and Challengeson May 18, 2020 at 1:03 am
Impact on the Internet of Things (IoT) Market by Components (Software Solutions, Platforms, Services), Vertical ...
- Sierra Wireless's Internet of Things Business Can't Catch a Break Right Nowon May 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm
Not surprisingly, Internet of Things (IoT) semiconductor and service provider Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ:SWIR) had a rough start to 2020. Supply-chain disruptions due to the economic lockdown to fight ...
via Bing News