In many parts of the world, shark attacks are a very real possibility for anyone entering the ocean.
While suspended nets do help keep the toothsome fish separated from swimmers, they’re far from from 100 percent reliable, plus sharks (along with other marine animals) regularly get caught in them and perish – as sharks are one of the ocean’s apex predators, removing them from the ecosystem could have disastrous consequences. The Clever Buoy, however, may prove to be an effective method of keeping humans and sharks apart, with no harm coming to either.
Currently being developed by Australian tech firm Optus, the buoy is anchored to a seabed-located box, that emits sonar signals into the surrounding water. A processor in the buoy analyzes the reflections of those signals, and is able to identify the sonar signature of shark-sized objects in the vicinity. To lessen the chances of it being fooled by animals like dolphins, it also takes note of how such objects propel themselves through the water, to see if they’re moving in a shark-like fashion.
The Latest on: Shark alarm
via Google News
The Latest on: Shark alarm
- Sharks thump undermanned Sea Eagles as key quartet finally clickson June 28, 2020 at 1:03 am
Alarm bells are ringing north of the Sydney Harbour Bridge after Manly were thumped by their cross-town rivals.
- Boy captures heart-stopping drone video as shark sizes up surferson June 25, 2020 at 6:16 am
Extraordinary drone footage showing a great white shark inspecting a group of surfers who are initially unaware of the danger has been captured by a South African boy.
- Surge Of COVID-19 Cases In Parts Of Country Prompts New Jersey To Issue Travel Restrictionon June 25, 2020 at 5:24 am
New Jersey To Place Travel Restrictions On Visitors Coming From States Where COVID-19 Cases Are SpikingJan Carabeo reports. 11 minutes ago Man Wrestles Shark With His Bare Hands On Delaware BeachIt ...
- New Jersey To Place Travel Restrictions On Visitors Coming From States Where COVID-19 Cases Are Spikingon June 25, 2020 at 5:13 am
Cases In Parts Of Country Prompts New Jersey To Issue Travel RestrictionJan Carabeo reports. 1 hour ago 2 Men Shot In North PhiladelphiaThere is no motive in this shooting. 2 hours ago Couple Shot In ...
- Panic on Spain’s Costa del Sol over possible shark sighting in tourist hotspoton June 24, 2020 at 10:50 pm
THE possible presence of a shark in the sea off Torremolinos has sparked alarm among swimmers. Witnesses claimed to have seen a shark lurking in waters of the tourist town’s Playamar beach yesterday.
- Shark survival under review by panelon June 20, 2020 at 6:12 am
The survival of SA’s sharks lies in the hands of an expert panel conducting a review on the management and conservation of the species, starting this month, said white shark expert and operator Chris ...
- The 45 Best Moments From JAWS at 45on June 18, 2020 at 2:46 pm
We're celebrating Jaws's 45th anniversary by listing the 45 best moments from Steven Spielberg's iconic summer blockbuster thriller.
- Man forced to abandon dead parents and swim through shark-infested waters to safety after fishing boat capsizedon June 18, 2020 at 2:24 pm
A MAN was forced to leave the bodies of his parents and swim through shark-infested waters after a horrific fishing accident. Ryan Oostryck was faced with the agonising decision to abandon the ...
- Son performed CPR on parents after boat capsized on Coral Bayon June 18, 2020 at 10:57 am
Oostryck, in their 70s, were fishing off Coral Bay - about 1,100km north of Perth - with their son Ryan and his girlfriend Galina on Tuesday when freak waves flipped their 6.1-metre fishing boat.
- Son’s desperate swim after parents’ bodies surfaceon June 17, 2020 at 6:34 pm
A man had to leave the bodies of his dead parents behind and swim 3km with his girlfriend through shark-infested seas after the boat all four were on flipped, throwing them into the ocean.
via Bing News