The precise cellular signalling responsible for kidney regeneration and exposing the multi-layered nature of kidney growth has been pinpointed in a new study.
The research paves the way for novel cellular and molecular therapeutics to achieve human kidney regeneration and alleviate the shortage of kidney organs for transplantation.
Doctors and scientists have for years been astonished to observe patients with kidney disease experiencing renal regeneration. The kidney, unlike its neighbor the liver, was universally understood to be a static organ once it had fully developed.
Now a new study conducted by researchers at Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, and Stanford University turns that theory on its head by pinpointing the precise cellular signalling responsible for renal regeneration and exposing the multi-layered nature of kidney growth.
“We wanted to change the way people thought about kidneys — about internal organs altogether,” said Dr. Dekel, who specializes in stem-cell research, genetics, and nephrology. “Very little is known even now about the way our internal organs function at the single cell level. This study flips the paradigm that kidney cells are static — in fact, kidney cells are continuously growing, all the time.”
The Latest on: Kidney regeneration
via Google News
The Latest on: Kidney regeneration
- Multivariate patterning of human pluripotent cells reveals induced paracrine factors in kidney organoid developmenton January 22, 2020 at 7:43 am
followed by patterning them into multicellular kidney organoids. They developed a custom post-processing algorithm to quantitatively analyze the outputs of image cytometry to their phenotype—at single ...
- Regeneration of Tubular Epithelium in the Human Kidney Following Injury by Mercuric Chlorideon December 31, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Yet in the voluminous literature on renal diseases are many descriptions of regeneration in the kidney of man and experimental animals, particularly after injury by the salts of heavy metals. As long ...
- Brenner and Rector's The Kidney, 2-Volume Set. Edition No. 11 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon December 6, 2019 at 2:44 am
and emerging discoveries in stem cell and kidney regeneration, this revised edition prepares you for any clinical challenge you may encounter. Key Topics Covered: 1. Embryology of the Kidney 2.
- Resident macrophages reprogram toward a developmental state after acute kidney injuryon December 2, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The team discovered that, during acute kidney injury (AKI) in a mouse model, the kidney-resident macrophages are reprogrammed to a developmental state, resembling these same cells when they are found ...
- RegeneRx's Tβ4 Significantly Reduces Damage in Ischemic Acute Kidney Injury Modelon November 18, 2019 at 5:57 am
repair and regeneration, today announced the publication of a new scientific study demonstrating the protective effect of Thymosin beta 4 (Tβ4) in an ischemic acute kidney injury model in ...
- Scientists grow ‘mini-kidneys’ in petri disheson October 26, 2019 at 5:00 pm
“Answering this question was important for understanding the potential of mini-kidneys for clinical kidney regeneration and drug discovery.” To re-create human disease, researchers used the ...
- LyGenesis Receives $4M Convertible Debt Financingon October 21, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Its drug development pipeline includes thymus, pancreas, and kidney regeneration.
- LyGenesis Closes $4 Million Convertible Debt Financing to Begin Clinical Development of its Liver Regeneration Technologyon October 21, 2019 at 5:39 am
LyGenesis's lead allogeneic cell therapy program is focused on liver regeneration for patients with end stage liver disease. Its drug development pipeline includes thymus, pancreas, and kidney ...
- WFIRM researchers engineer vascularized functional renal tissues for kidney regenerationon May 24, 2019 at 1:04 am
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) researchers have shown the feasibility of bioengineering vascularized functional renal tissues for kidney regeneration, developing a partial ...
- Focus on regeneration, stem cell cureon March 10, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Dr V Jha dwelt on kidney regeneration. He said stem cell treatment was an advanced technique for kidney regeneration. Several types of stem cells, such as bone marrow-derived cells, adipocyte ...
via Bing News