Shape memory alloys, or SMAs, possess the ability to return to their original shape after being severely deformed, either spontaneously or following the application of heat.
This makes them useful materials, not just for making spectacle frames but also for technical applications such as thermostats, stents and micro-actuators. Other applications in the construction industry are conceivable too, for example in the reinforcement of bridges.
If a concrete beam is cast with reinforcing rods made of an SMA material, these can then be “activated” through the application of heat. They attempt to return to their original shape, but because of their concrete sheath they cannot do so, thus exerting a pre-stressing force on the beam. This effect can be used, for example, to pre-stress a complete bridge span. In order to generate the necessary force the SMA rods must simply be heated by passing an electric current through them. This obviates the need for using elaborate tensioning systems and jacket tubes, as used in conventional pre-stressing techniques.
The Latest on: Shape-memory alloy
via Google News
The Latest on: Shape-memory alloy
- Breathing Walls With Shape Memory Alloy Wireon May 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
When you need something quietly bending or moving, don’t underestimate SMA’s (or Shape Memory Alloys). The Living Glass project by architects [David Benjamin] and [Soo-in Yang] catalogs an ...
- shape memory alloyon May 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
You’ve likely heard of Nitinol wire before, but we suspect the common base knowledge doesn’t go much beyond repeating that it’s a shape-memory alloy. [Bill Hammack], the Engineer Guy ...
- These little tires could go to Marson May 8, 2020 at 4:00 am
It’s rocky. It’s sandy. It’s flat. It’s cratered. It’s cold. The surface of Mars is a challenging and inhospitable place, especially for rovers. As future missions to Mars become more complex, NASA’s ...
- NASA “memory metal” tires could give future Mars rovers a wheel upgradeon May 7, 2020 at 10:54 am
NASA is working on shape memory alloy tires for future missions to Mars, figuring out ways to give rovers and more an airless, shapeshifting wheel. While NASA’s Perseverance rover is headed ...
- Shape Memory Alloys Market Size Worth $26.0 Billion by 2025: Grand View Research, Inc.on May 2, 2020 at 1:54 pm
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- HTPB Market (2019 to 2027) – Regional Analysis and Forecasts by Treatment Type, End User and Countryon April 30, 2020 at 8:23 am
Global HTPB Market is segmented based on the end-use as Electrical Appliances, Hot Water Supply, Construction & Housing, Automobiles & Trains, Aerospace Engineering and Bio- Medical. Based on ...
- Smarter Alloys' Extract Energy Heat Engine Demonstrates Electricity Generation from Industrial Waste Heaton April 23, 2020 at 7:17 am
The Extract Energy Heat Engine captures LGWH and converts it into electrical energy using a shape memory alloy (SMA) core that is processed using proprietary Smarter Alloys processing techniques.
- HTPB Market Size 2020 | Top Companies, Growth Overview, Technology, Latest Trends and Forecast 2025on April 20, 2020 at 4:04 am
The global HTPB Market report covers detailed study with the underlying influencing factors for the variations in the industry growth trends. Global HTPB Market share consists of several players ...
- Shape Memory Alloys: Global Market Insights, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 8, 2020 at 4:02 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Shape Memory Alloys Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
via Bing News