Pioneering work using touchless technology for vascular surgery is now being extended to neurosurgery.
Dr Mark Rouncefield and Dr Gerardo Gonzalez from the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University were part of a collaborative team from Microsoft Research, Guy’s Hospital, St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, and King’s College London to pilot the technology in the operating theatre.
Following the successful pilot of the technology in vascular surgery procedures, the team from Lancaster and Microsoft have now partnered with neurosurgeons at Addenbrookes NHS Foundation Trust and Cambridge University to apply the technology to the manipulation of 3D volumetric models of the brain for neurosurgery. The new system is currently being piloted in the operating theatres.
Dr Rouncefield said: ““This project on ‘Touchless Interaction’ has successfully combined the skills and knowledge of social and computer scientists with the professional experience of surgeons, to design and develop an application that is already proving of real benefit in the operating theatre”
The pioneering work explores the use of touchless interaction within surgical settings, enabling surgeons to view, control and manipulate medical images without contact.
The Latest on: Touchless technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Touchless technology
- Rochester nursing homes using new technology to keep residents safeon August 13, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Nursing homes and schools are getting some added help in keeping their residents safe thanks to thermal facial recognition cameras and touchless check-in technology.
- Santa Clara County Installing Touchless Pedestrian Crossing Devices at Intersectionson August 13, 2020 at 1:35 pm
In an effort to slow the spread of germs, Santa Clara County is embarking on a mission to replace buttons at crosswalks with touchless devices that will simply require pedestrians to wave a hand in ...
- Touchless Crosswalk Control Unveiled In Santa Clara Countyon August 13, 2020 at 12:30 pm
New, touch-free crosswalk devices were being installed in Santa Clara County Thursday, aimed at protecting pedestrians in this era of COVID-19.
- Stay on top of your health at home with this top-rated touchless thermometer: 'Must have for any family!'on August 13, 2020 at 11:58 am
As an Amazon’s choice item for home health care, this quick and easy thermometer has so far earned a 4.3 star rating with more than 100 customer reviews. It’s gained a reputation as an easy to use ...
- Nashville airport debuts touchless ID tech using eye and finger scanson August 13, 2020 at 7:45 am
Ken Stockman was one of the first Nashville International Airport passengers to pass through security without flashing an identification card on Wednesday morning. Instead, he stared briefly into a ...
- Nashville airport introduces biometric identity technologyon August 13, 2020 at 1:41 am
Nashville International Airport has introduced expedited lanes that use biometric technology to replace traditional identification documents before air travel.
- Fairport resident bringing thermal recognition technologyon August 12, 2020 at 11:01 pm
With Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s recent announcement about school openings, there still stands the question about what exactly schools will do to not only ...
- Coronavirus sparks huge demand for clean home technology innovationson August 12, 2020 at 8:23 am
The coronavirus pandemic has heightened concerns about air quality and safety of indoor spaces, including the homes we live in. New cleaning technology is being rapidly added to houses across the ...
- GM Develops and Shares New Workplace Safety Technologyon August 12, 2020 at 6:28 am
General Motors has developed new technology to aid workplace safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the company is sharing its innovations with the world for potential use in job sites as diverse as ...
- FreedomPay Rolls Out Touchless Commerce In Las Vegas & Bostonon August 11, 2020 at 6:00 am
As businesses across the US resume operations and safely welcome back customers, FreedomPay, a global leader in Next Level Commerce™, ...
via Bing News