The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Optical Coatings Market Witness Significant Growth 5.6% by 2027on December 1, 2020 at 2:01 pm
The optical coatings market report provides the growth and year to year projections from 2016 to 2027. The global optical coatings market was valued at US$ 13.21 billion in 2019 and expected to reach ...
- Silk’s shelf life boost: New food coating tech to begin commercialisation journey with high value productson November 30, 2020 at 6:02 pm
New tech created in Singapore that utilises silk proteins to preserve food and extend shelf-life is moving into the commercialization space with high-value products including fresh fruit and meat.
- Market for conformal coating in electronics anticipates growthon November 29, 2020 at 4:23 am
The global conformal coating in the electronics market size is expected to grow by USD $978.13 million during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of almost 8% during the forecast period, according to a ...
- The age of Coronatech: Check out these masks that boast of technology and smart designingon November 28, 2020 at 3:37 pm
JabberMask is a voice-activated cotton face mask that smiles when asked to. It has LEDs in the shape of a mouth that imitates your facial movements.
- Liquid window smart enough to reduce power billson November 27, 2020 at 11:37 pm
Windows are an essential part of any building’s design but they are also the least energy efficient part of the structure. In a new research, scientists in Singapore have developed a ‘smart’ liquid ...
- Insights on the Global Conformal Coating in Electronics Market 2020-2024 | COVID-19 Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats | Technaon November 27, 2020 at 8:03 am
ConformalCoatinginElectronicsMarket--The global conformal coating in the electronics market size is expected to grow by USD 978.13 million during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of almost 8% during ...
- Global Optical Coatings Market is Estimated to Account for US$ 18,187.8 Mn by End of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI)on November 27, 2020 at 6:11 am
The global optical coatings market is estimated to account for US$ 18,187.8 Mn in terms of value by the end of 2027 growing at a CAGR of 7.2% during forecast period 2020-2027. Growing demand for ...
- Apple Wins Smart Fabrics Patent that details Technology that could be applied to Future Over-Ear Headphones, an HMD, Glasses & moreon November 25, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Yesterday the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office officially granted Apple a patent relating to smart fabrics by forming electrical connections in fabric-based items that could include bags, clothing and ...
- Patterning method could pave the way for new fiber-based devices, smart textileson November 25, 2020 at 6:16 am
Multimaterial fibers that integrate metal, glass and semiconductors could be useful for applications such as biomedicine, smart textiles and robotics. But because the fibers are composed of the same ...
- Smart Coating Market: Global Industry Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2024on November 23, 2020 at 9:30 pm
The global smart coating market size is expected to grow by USD 30.28 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of almost 53% during the forecast period. Click & get FREE sample Report in ...
via Bing News