The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Is XPEL A 10-Bagger In The Making? Eyeing A Long-Term Compounderon October 12, 2020 at 9:17 am
XPEL Inc. (NASDAQ:XPEL) is a long-term compounder that sells automotive surface and paint protective films among other coatings. However, its true advantage lie ...
- Grabbing a smart lock this Prime Day? DEWALT’s Installation Kit has hit $23.50on October 12, 2020 at 6:47 am
Metal Door Lock Installation Kit (D180004) for $23.46 Prime shipped. If you are not a Prime member, orders that exceed $25 will qualify for free shipping. Matched at Home Depot. That’s roughly 25% off ...
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook 14 review: A value for money package, despite misseson October 10, 2020 at 5:38 am
Xiaomi debuted in the Indian laptop market with two variants - the premium Mi Notebook 14 Horizon Edition and the more affordable of the two, Mi Notebook 14. Here's the complete review of the latter.
- The best carry-on suitcases of 2020on October 9, 2020 at 12:54 pm
And when that day comes (which it will!), you’ll need a quality carry-on suitcase to take along for the ride. There are hundreds of carry-ons on the market these days, with offerings from both ...
- Apple's 'iPhone 12' to include hardened 'Ceramic Shield' glass coatingon October 9, 2020 at 3:32 am
Further leaked details regarding Apple's forthcoming "iPhone 12" range claim that all four models will feature a "Ceramic Shield" coating to make the glass stronger.
- WEILBURGER Graphics Presents New, Waterproof Barrier Coatingon October 8, 2020 at 3:08 am
A completely new and waterproof coating for application using flexo coating unit was presented by WEILBURGER Graphics GmbH, an international coating, flexo inks and adhesive manufacturer based out of ...
- FSP powering up and connecting to smart lifeon October 7, 2020 at 7:37 pm
In the advent of the era of intelligentization, digitalization, and networking, the FSP Group provides various stable and reliable power solutions to realize the vision of smart life and its future ...
- Global Advanced Bactericidal & Viricidal Coatings and Surfaces Market Report 2020 with Profiles of Over 130 Companieson October 6, 2020 at 3:42 am
The "The Global Market for Advanced Bactericidal & Viricidal Coatings and Surfaces" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Market for Advanced Bactericidal & Viricidal ...
- Smart Coatings Market 2020 Is Booming Worldwide : Top Key Players : 3M, PPG Industries, Akzonobel, Axalta Coating Systemson October 2, 2020 at 1:33 pm
The Smart Coatings Market report helps identify the biggest opportunities in Smart Coatings industry space and offers accurate latent demand forecasting that empowers quantitative decision making ...
- Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5 Launched In India For Rs. 2,499on October 1, 2020 at 12:27 pm
As assured, the Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5 has just been launched in India. This is the latest wearable to be launched by the company and it comes with notable improvements as compared to its predecessor, ...
via Bing News