The discovery could significantly reduce the risk of deadly hospital-acquired infections and revolutionise the way the medical industry deals with infection control.
Secondary infections are a serious and potentially deadly complication for hospital patients.
Antibacterial fabrics do not allow nasty disease-causing bacteria to stick to and grow on their surface – creating an infection free environment.
Associate Professor Vipul Bansal from RMIT University’s School of Applied Sciences, who leads the NanoBiotechnology Research Laboratory team, said fabrics with the built-in ability to fight bacteria could relegate hospital-acquired infections to the sidelines.
“There is potential for special bedding, linens and surgical aprons on which bugs and bacteria do not grow, so we can maintain an infection-free environment in our healthcare settings,” he said.
“We may also have dressings and Band-Aids that can kill bacteria in the wound, resulting in faster healing. These will all have a major impact on the cost of the Australian healthcare system.”
Associate Professor Bansal said the new antibacterial fabric will have important environmental and clinical applications.
The next generation of smart textiles will be free from bacteria and odour and have a range of potential applications from clothing – putting an end to smelly socks – to sporting gear and uniforms.
The Latest on: Antibacterial fabric
via Google News
The Latest on: Antibacterial fabric
- Elastomer Coated Fabrics Market: Comprehensive study explores Huge Growth in Futureon November 17, 2019 at 5:14 am
Elastomer coated fabrics are anti-static, antibacterial, and anti-fungus in nature and offer advantages such as enhanced elasticity, high visibility, weldability, and resistance to flame, UV radiation ...
- Clothes that cureon November 15, 2019 at 11:02 am
Can clothing cure? Sustainable and ethical fashion brands certainly seem to think so, going by the increasing number of designers and brands that are using Ayurvedic recipes to dye their fabrics, and ...
- Eco-Friendly Bedding: Here’s What You Should Knowon November 11, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Eco-friendly bedding is made with fabrics that boast benefits like moisture wicking and antibacterial properties and are, generally, easy to recycle. They’re fashioned through processes that use less ...
- Global Antimicrobial Textile Markets, Forecast to 2024 - Synthetic Organic Compounds Active Agent Expected to Drive the Marketon November 8, 2019 at 3:43 am
12.11.13 Barjan Manufacturing Ltd. 12.11.14 Suzhou Chunshen Environment Protection Fiber Co. Ltd.
- Development of electroless plating equipment for fabrics (Advert Reference: SF19/EE/MCE/LAFDI)on November 8, 2019 at 1:50 am
Medical fabrics are susceptible to potential damage during operating ... Cumpson, L.G. Dover, S. González. Antimicrobial properties of Cu-based bulk metallic glass composites after surface ...
- Alé does recycled fabrics, gravel and graphene kit for 2020on November 5, 2019 at 2:00 am
Alé is now making garments that incorporate graphene too, which apparently offers anti-static, antibacterial and thermal regulating properties. The kit also makes use of textured fabrics for improved ...
- The global antimicrobial textile market is estimated to grow USD 9.5 billion in 2019 to USD 12.3 billion in 2024, at a CAGR of 5.4%on November 4, 2019 at 12:41 am
New York, Nov. 04, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Antimicrobial Textile Market by Active Agents, Application, Fabric ...
- The Best Weightlifting Gloves (Plus, How to Clean Them)on October 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm
If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission. Complete with antimicrobial fabric to help control odor, these weightlifting gloves goes above and beyond. The enhanced ...
- New Antimicrobial Fabrics: Two Mechanisms Better Than Oneon October 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
New data quantifying the specific effects of various characteristics of antimicrobial fabrics were presented at IDWeek last week in San Diego. IDWeek is the new joint meeting of the Infectious ...
- Global Antimicrobial Textile Market Analysis, 2018-2027 by Fabric, Type, Active Agent, Finishing Techniques, Application, Geography, and Competitionon September 26, 2019 at 7:55 am
12.9 Stafford Textile Ltd. 12.10 Sun Dream Enterprise Co. Ltd. 12.11 Surgicotfab Textiles Private Limited 12.12 Suzhou Chunshen Environment Protection Fiber Co. Ltd. 12.13 Swicofil AG 12.14 Toyobo Co.
via Bing News