Can extract information from Wikipedia, “understand” it, and reason from that information, IBM claims
“Can a computer with access to large bodies of information like Wikipedia extract relevant information, digest and reason on that information and understand the context … and present it in natural language, with no human intervention?”
That’s how John Kelly III, Senior Vice President and Director, IBM Research, introduced a new feature of Watson called “The Debater” (starts at 45:25 in video below) at an April 30, 2014 session of the Milken Institute Global Conference entitled “Why Tomorrow Won’t Look Like Today: Things that Will Blow Your Mind.”
In a canned demo, Kelly chose a sample debate topic: “The sale of violent video games to minors should be banned.” The Debater was tasked with presenting pros and cons for a debate on this question.
Speaking in nearly perfect English, Watson/The Debater replied:
Scanned approximately 4 million Wikipedia articles, returning ten most relevant articles. Scanned all 3,000 sentences in top ten articles. Detected sentences which contain candidate claims. Identified borders of candidate claims. Assessed pro and con polarity of candidate claims. Constructed demo speech with top claim predictions. Ready to deliver.
It then presented three relevant pros and cons.
The Latest on: IBM’s Watson
via Google News
The Latest on: IBM’s Watson
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre completes IBM Watson trial for lung cancer patientson December 1, 2019 at 8:56 pm
Melbourne-based Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre has trialled the use of IBM Watson and found it helped reduce the time it takes for clinicians to match lung cancer patients to relevant clinical trials.
- IBM Watson Health Demonstrates Global Imaging Market Momentumon December 1, 2019 at 5:05 am
Hardin Memorial Health First to "Go Live" with IBM Watson Imaging Patient Synopsis Imaging Clinical Review 3.0 and Imaging AI Marketplace Launched CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Dec. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, ...
- IBM Watson Health Unveils Imaging AI Marketplace of FDA-Cleared Solutionson December 1, 2019 at 4:00 am
IBM Watson Health unveils two new products at RNSA 2019, Clinical Review 3.0 and The Imaging AI Marketplace. – Clinical Review 3.0, a tool recently launched in the UK that analyzes medical imaging ...
- ‘Watson,’ Grippando’s new play at GableStage, tells of dark chapter in IBM-Nazi relationshipon November 26, 2019 at 2:00 am
George Schiavone GableStage Thomas J. Watson Sr., the founding chairman and CEO of International Business Machines (IBM), was a brilliantly successful salesman and celebrated businessman for the vast ...
- IBM Engineer Bob Dennard And The Chip That Changed The Worldon November 22, 2019 at 12:57 pm
He went to work at IBM’s then partially completed Thomas J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York, designed by the neo-futurist architect Eero Saarinen. Yorktown Heights was, and ...
- IBM and ESPN take fantasy football to the next level with Watson AIon November 22, 2019 at 6:56 am
The brains behind ESPN Fantasy Football and IBM Watson sat down to discuss whether AI can really win you a championship. Millions of ESPN Fantasy Football players are rolling into week 13 of the NFL ...
- UNC REX Named One of the Nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by IBM Watson Healthon November 21, 2019 at 10:16 am
UNC REX Named One of the Nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by IBM Watson Health Recognition based on factors such as mortality, complications, readmissions and cost Business Wire RALEIGH, N.C. ...
- Frost & Sullivan Names IBM Sterling Order Management Recipient of 2019 Global Customer Value Leadership Awardon November 20, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Leveraging the artificial intelligence (AI) of IBM Watson, the solution combines a powerful cognitive engine and cutting-edge analytics to provide business users with a uniquely effective toolset.
- Lessons from IBM in Nazi Germanyon November 19, 2019 at 6:17 am
Harvard Business School professor Geoff Jones discusses his case, “Thomas J. Watson, IBM and Nazi Germany,” which explores the options and responsibilities of multinationals with investments in ...
- IBM Watson Health Announces 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in U.S.on November 19, 2019 at 5:25 am
IBM Watson Health Announces 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in U.S. 2020 Study Finds Top Performing Hospitals Provide Improved Patient Care Than Peers PR Newswire CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov. 19, 2019 ...
via Bing News