Autodesk is hoping to kick-start three-dimensional printing in much the same way Google spurred smartphone development, with a free operating system.
The company announced on Wednesday that later this year it will release an open software platform for 3-D printing, which would enable makers of 3-D printers to spend far less on operational software. It will also sell its own 3-D printer, at least in part as a demonstration of the software’s possibilities.
“There’s been a disconnect between designing objects and being able to print them,” said Carl Bass, chief executive of Autodesk. “I saw there were 40 different types of printer software, and that is what is holding this back.”
He likened the project to Google’s Android operating system for smartphones, which is offered free to any phone maker. Android has become the world’s most popular phone operating system, benefiting Google by encouraging customers to use its mobile products.
The Autodesk printer, Mr. Bass said, is akin to “a midmarket industrial machine.” Autodesk has not named a price, but he said that sort of printer usually costs about $5,000. The company has used the machine, which makes objects with light projected on a photosensitive polymer, to make architectural models, parts for medical equipment and jewelry.
Other types of 3-D printers use metal, plastic and biological materials. Mr. Bass said any material used in 3-D printing could be used on the Autodesk software platform, which the company is calling Spark.
The Latest on: Open-Source 3-D Printing System
via Google News
The Latest on: Open-Source 3-D Printing System
- MakerBot launches SKETCH Classroom to improve access to 3D printing in educationon February 4, 2020 at 5:09 am
So we are well versed in the challenges the education system has in general and we talk about STEM education and problem solving. That's not specifically tied to 3D printing but it's also about the ...
- Artificial pericardial tissue from the 3D printeron February 4, 2020 at 3:52 am
Within the PolyKARD project, a 3D printing system for the production of class III medical products is to be established for the first time, which will also enable complete traceability of the raw ...
- Top Ten 3D Printing Companies Global Market Outlook 2023on February 4, 2020 at 3:40 am
The first working 3D printer was developed in the 1980s, but the high cost and limited range of applications of the earliest printers precluded their widespread use at the time. The convenience to ...
- Global Automated 3D Printing Market is Expected to Reach USD 8,970.67 Million by 2025 : Fior Marketson February 4, 2020 at 1:33 am
Newark, NJ, Feb. 03, 2020 -- As per the report published by Fior Markets, the global automated 3D printing market is expected to grow from USD 220.56 million in 2017 to USD.
- 8 Trends in 3D Printingon February 3, 2020 at 5:10 am
8) Software Will Push the Boundaries of Digital Manufacturing to New Levels In 2020 we will close the gap between what 3D printing and digital manufacturing hardware is capable of and what the ...
- How CAD Software and 3D Printing Are Allowing Customized Products at Scaleon February 1, 2020 at 8:14 am
And simpler options are open source--they're completely free, meaning any individual or business can use them to design custom work. Accordingly, designing new, customized products is easier and more ...
- 3D printing system uses hybrid living materials to make biomedical toolson January 31, 2020 at 10:15 am
At MIT’s Media Lab Mediated Matter group, researchers have been studying how 3D printing technologies can control the behaviour of these hybrid materials. More precisely, they hope that controlling ...
- Open-source, 3D-printed Peristaltic Pumps for Small Volume Point-of-Care Liquid Handlingon January 31, 2020 at 2:45 am
Here, we present a low-cost (~$120), open-source peristaltic pump constructed ... resource limited settings. All 3D-printed components were designed in 3D-computer aided design (CAD) software ...
- Google releases new open-source 2FA authentication security key platformon January 30, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Rust is a system programming language focused ... Stereolithography is a form of 3D printing technology used for creating models, prototypes, patterns and production parts in a layer by layer fashion.
- 3D printed 3D printer represents another significant leap forward for the technologyon January 28, 2020 at 8:18 am
In 2015 Lumi Industries patented the idea of an innovative mechanical system to make a 3D printer thinner than its ... I decided with my team to release LumiBee as free Open Source project by Lumi ...
via Bing News