Scientists at Trinity College, Dublin say they have made a major breakthrough in treatment for age-related macular degeneration (AMD) – the leading cause of blindness in people over 50.
Through their research, they have discovered that interleukin-18 (IL-18), a component of the immune system, can protect patients from vision loss, and it can be administered in a non-invasive way. Since current treatments for AMD involve periodically injecting medication directly into the eyeball, this could have significant implications for AMD therapy.
“[IL-18] has already entered into clinical trials [for cancer research], and it has a very good safety profile when administered intravenously. It was never injected into the eye,” study author Matthew Campbell, research assistant professor in genetics at Trinity, told FoxNews.com.
“So all the signs show this could be another tool in the arsenal against wet AMD.”
AMD has two major forms: “dry,” the more common form, and “wet,” which accounts for 90 percent of the severe vision loss caused by macular degeneration. When a patient suffers from wet AMD, the blood vessels grow into the retina, the layer of tissue lining the inner surface of the eye, and begin to leak blood or fluid – causing immediate retinal blindness. Retinal blindness can be especially challenging for patients, as the retina provides sharp, central vision for reading, driving and perceiving small details.
In order to combat wet AMD, patients m? patients must receive them on a monthly basis.
Campbell and his team say IL-18 can work just as effectively as these anti-VEGF injections, as it produces cells that prevent wet AMD.
The Latest on: Age-related macular degeneration
via Google News
The Latest on: Age-related macular degeneration
- The Eyes Have It! 8 Things Your Eyes Can Reveal About Your Overall Healthon October 9, 2020 at 2:09 am
The eyes are the only organ in the body where we can see your blood vessels, retina and optic nerve, which is a part of the central nervous system,” says Aleksandra Rachitskaya, M.D., vitreoretinal ...
- Pandemic Delays Treatment, Threatening Patients and Researchon October 8, 2020 at 1:32 pm
During the recent EURETINA congress, specialists discussed the measures taken in their countries to deal with retina patients who were reluctant to present for treatment at the height of the pandemic.
- Million-dollar funding for macular disease research on World Sight Dayon October 7, 2020 at 5:22 pm
Macular Disease Foundation Australia (MDFA) will award $1 million in its latest round of research funding and has also announced an additional new ...
- OliX Pharmaceuticals Announces Expansion of Collaboration with Laboratoires Théa to Develop siRNA Therapeutics for Ophthalmic Diseaseson October 7, 2020 at 6:13 am
Companies to broaden their existing partnership on Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) treatmentsOliX grants Théa worldwide rights excluding ...
- Ocugen Engages Kemwell Biopharma for cGMP Manufacture of OCU200on October 6, 2020 at 4:30 am
Under this agreement, Kemwell will manage all CMC and clinical manufacturing activities as well as provide OCU200 supplies for IND-enabling toxicology studies and Phase 1/2a clinical trials. Kemwell ...
- 'Doctors saved my sight by injecting a gene into my eye': Experts say this cutting-edge technique could one day also help many with age-related vision losson October 5, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Lee Morris, 40, of Chorley, Lancashire, became one of the first people in the UK to have ocular gene therapy, a new treatment, which it's hoped could benefit hundreds of thousands of Britons.
- Wet Macular Degeneration: Promising data for Novartis’ Beovu unveiled at EURETINAon October 5, 2020 at 3:19 am
In a post-hoc analysis of HAWK and HARRIER, fewer Beovu (brolucizumab) patients had early persistent fluid (12.5% vs. 20.4% of afliberce ...
- Apellis Announces New Analysis Demonstrating Targeted C3 Therapy Pegcetacoplan Slows ...on October 3, 2020 at 8:05 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: APLS), a global biopharmaceutical company and leader in targeted C3 therapies, today announced the results of a post hoc analysis of the ...
- Europe Age-Related Macular Degeneration Market and Competitive Landscape Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 30, 2020 at 6:49 am
Related Macular Degeneration Market and Competitive Landscape - 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Outlook Therapeutics +5% on advancement of ONS-5010 for macular degenerationon September 30, 2020 at 5:59 am
(NASDAQ:OTLK) is advancing on multiple fronts, including: progress on its Phase 3 clinical program, manufacturing and regulatory activities, and global strategic partnering negotiations, all leading ...
via Bing News