Working on dye-sensitized solar cells – researchers from University Malaya (UM) and National Tsing Hua University (NTHU) have achieved an efficiency of 1.12 %, at a fraction of the cost compared to those used by platinum devices.
This work has been accepted for publication in the journal, Nanoscale published by the Royal Society of Chemistry and has been selected for the front cover of the issue.
The study carried out in Taiwan took on the challenge of making the technology behind dye-sensitized solar cells more affordable by replacing the costly platinum counter-electrodes with bismuth telluride (Bi2Te3) nanosheet arrays.
Using a novel electrolysis process, the group managed to closely manipulate the spacing between individual nanosheets and hence control the thermal and electrical conductivity parameters to achieve the high efficiency of 1.12%, which is comparable to platinum devices, but at only at a fraction of the cost.
The research was led by Prof. Yu-Lun Chueh of the Nanoscience & Nanodevices Laboratory, NTHU, and Alireza Yaghoubi, UM HIR Young Scientist. “In light of the recent report by the United Nations about the irreversible effects of fossil fuels on climate change and as we gradually run out of economically recoverable oil reserves, we think it is necessary to look for a sustainable, yet practical source of energy” Yaghoubi stated.
Meanwhile at University Malaya, Dr. Wee Siong Chiu and colleagues were working on controlling the secondary nucleation and self-assembly in zinc oxide (ZnO), a material which is currently being scrutinized for its potential applications in dye-sensitized solar cells as well as photocatalytic reactions to generate clean electricity by splitting water under sunlight.
In this work, Dr. Chiu and Alireza Yaghoubi demonstrated a new route for synthesis of various zinc oxide nanostructures using the lipophilic interactions between a novel precursor and a number of fatty acids. They are hoping to further use this method to increase the efficiency of photocatalysts in the visible regime where most of the sunlight energy lies.
According to the researchers, if this approach is successful, generating electricity is as easy as pouring some bioinert nanomaterials into a lake and fusing the split oxygen and hydrogen atoms back into water in a photoelectrochemical cell.
The Latest on: Dye sensitized solar cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Dye sensitized solar cell
- Making Solar Cellson February 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
We will admit that it is unlikely you have enough gear in your basement to make a solar cell using these steps. However, it is interesting to see how a bare silicon wafer becomes a solar cell.
- A titanium solar cell with 24% efficiencyon February 13, 2020 at 3:20 am
The research group said their cell concept could be expanded to bring the technology to production. Most dye-sensitized – Grätzel – solar cells are based on titanium dioxide thin film – a ...
- Dye-sensitized Cell Market Growth Report 2019 - 3GSolar, Dyesol, Exeger, Fujikura, G24 Power, Merck, Nissha Printingon February 6, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Global Dye-sensitized Cell Market Research Report 2019-2025 includes an elaborative summary of the Dye-sensitized Cell market which contains data that has been carefully analyzed in the various ...
- Ricoh launches solar cell for indoor applicationson February 5, 2020 at 3:11 am
Ricoh Company Ltd has launched a solid-state, dye-sensitized solar cell for integration with sensors and other standalone devices that require low levels of electricity. The cells are connected in ...
- Self-powered textile for wearable electronics by hybridizing fiber-shaped nanogenerators, solar cells, and supercapacitorson February 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm
1 School of Material Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332–0245, USA. 2 State Key Laboratory of Silicon Materials, School of Materials Science and Engineering, ...
- Preparation 8.5%-efficient submodule using 5%-efficient DSSCs via three-dimensional angle array and light-trapping layeron January 30, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Dye-sensitized solar cells are of particular interest in this regard, owing to their superior electricity production in dim light; however, an improvement in dye-sensitized solar cells efficiency ...
- Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2020 - 2025|Market Research Engineon January 29, 2020 at 1:41 am
Jan 29, 2020 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, January 29, 2020: The global Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) market is segregated on the basis of Application as Portable Charging, BIPV/BAPV ...
- The most beautiful solar cells are inspired by natureon January 28, 2020 at 6:02 am
Organic solar cells are usually less effective than silicon solar cells. But there is still a market for them—and they're beautiful and exciting. Chemists at NTNU are working with a type of ...
- Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) Market 2020 Growth, Status and Forecast by 2025 – Market Research Engineon January 23, 2020 at 2:11 am
Jan 23, 2020 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, January 23, 2020: The global Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) market is segregated on the basis of Application as Portable Charging, BIPV/BAPV ...
- Steady Growth Forecasted for Dye Sensitized Solar Cellson January 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Conservative growth is expected within the dye sensitized solar cells, DSSCs, market, forecasted to reach $130 million by 2023. The market for third generation solar technology is expected to see some ...
via Bing News