Fire-fighting robots designed to withstand intense heat are to be tested by the US Navy this summer.
The Shipboard Autonomous Fire-fighting Robot (SAFFiR) has been built by engineers at Virginia Tech and other US universities.
The robots are expected to perform a variety of tasks – balancing, turning valves, picking up and dragging a fire hose and jetting water on the fire.
They also have a vision system to search for survivors.
“The human-sized autonomous robot is capable of finding and suppressing shipboard fires and working seamlessly with human fire-fighters,” says the Office of Naval Research’s website.
Such a machine should be “able to withstand higher heat for longer periods than human fire-fighters,” it adds.
Two versions of the robot, made by researchers at Virginia Tech and the universities of California, Los Angeles and Pennsylvania, will be tested on board the decommissioned USS Shadwell.
The ship is regularly set on fire to test new equipment.
The Latest on: Robotic fire-fighters
via Google News
The Latest on: Robotic fire-fighters
- Transformers: Bell’s V-280 Tiltrotor Aircraft Could Become a Robotic Hybrid Planeon January 17, 2020 at 5:59 pm
After all, it’s one thing to fly unmanned on a routine delivery mission. It’s another to perform complex combat tasks such inserting into or extracting personnel from constricted landing zones ...
- Russia Pushes Ahead With Development of Robotic T-72 Tanks and Moreon January 17, 2020 at 4:09 pm
Street-Fighting Robot Tank The first project ... second project is the BAS-01G Soratnik (“Companion”), a tracked fire support vehicle intended to serve alongside infantry formations.
- Forum Focus: House fire, Leg amputation, Volstead Act, Robot carson January 17, 2020 at 3:05 pm
We rely on advertising to deliver quality local news to the communities we serve. Please disable your ad blocker and refresh the page or subscribe to a digital membership and support our journalism ...
- How Mr. Robot turned a dystopian landscape into a utopian finaleon January 17, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Mr. Robot is a show that doesn't always spell out what is imagined ... His hacking group Fsociety was born out of the ashes spilled by a world on fire. Their first attempt to distribute the wealth ...
- Top Ten Signs You Should Fire Your Robot Baristaon January 15, 2020 at 4:37 pm
But the SF Chronicle reports that we can chalk one up for the good guy as Cafe X, the horrifying robot barista concept in San Francisco, has shuttered its three locations across the city. It is the ...
- Watch a fire cause a Mini's engine to start, ram parked caron January 13, 2020 at 4:17 pm
It’s hard to count how many self-driving concept cars we’ve seen in the past decade, including almost robotic ones that have grazed several motor shows around the world. However, this Mini was ...
- One dead in Christchurch house fireon January 12, 2020 at 12:55 pm
NASA's under-ice robot may be used in a future space mission to look for signs of extraterrestrial life. Video / Australian Antarctic program Maria Jiminez was beaten up after showing up at her ...
- Toilet paper robot will deliver fresh roll when you're strandedon January 10, 2020 at 7:34 am
Charmin wants to solve that familiar problem. At this week's Consumer Electronics Show, it introduced the "Charmin Rollbot" -- a two-wheeled robot that can fetch a fresh roll. "Out of toilet paper. No ...
- CES 2020: All the weirdest gadgets and products from this year's show, from an Arnold Schwarzenegger robot to fake porkon January 10, 2020 at 1:53 am
From beach-cleaning robots and miniature fire engines to automated cat pooper-scoopers and robotic sharks, companies across the world flock to Las Vegas each January to show off their wares. While ...
- Tomball High School T3 Robotics Team preparing for competitionon January 9, 2020 at 1:17 pm
The Tomball High School T3 Robotics Team has seen some success in its first two years, and is hoping to reach more success as it prepares for its third season of competition.
via Bing News