Fire-fighting robots designed to withstand intense heat are to be tested by the US Navy this summer.
The Shipboard Autonomous Fire-fighting Robot (SAFFiR) has been built by engineers at Virginia Tech and other US universities.
The robots are expected to perform a variety of tasks – balancing, turning valves, picking up and dragging a fire hose and jetting water on the fire.
They also have a vision system to search for survivors.
“The human-sized autonomous robot is capable of finding and suppressing shipboard fires and working seamlessly with human fire-fighters,” says the Office of Naval Research’s website.
Such a machine should be “able to withstand higher heat for longer periods than human fire-fighters,” it adds.
Two versions of the robot, made by researchers at Virginia Tech and the universities of California, Los Angeles and Pennsylvania, will be tested on board the decommissioned USS Shadwell.
The ship is regularly set on fire to test new equipment.
The Latest on: Robotic fire-fighters
via Google News
The Latest on: Robotic fire-fighters
- Fire Chief Jim Coppinger: My Farewell Messageon March 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
With a federal grant provided by International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters, purchased "Sparky" the robot fire engine, and created a very popular comprehensive fire education ...
- IAFF Calls for Stand Down June 21 for Fire Fighter Safetyon March 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF), along with other fire service organizations ... The newsletter explains how and why companies are using robotics, augmented reality, wearable ...
- Fire Fighters Praise Confirmation of Ridgeon March 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Fire fighters, city and county governments ... The newsletter explains how and why companies are using robotics, augmented reality, wearable devices, drones and predictive analytics to better protect ...
- Taking Control of Today's Skilled Labor Shortageon March 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Today's elite manufacturing multi-skilled technician will be trained in hydraulics, robotics, electrical and computer science ... were recognized and rewarded for being extraordinary fire fighters.
- West Bengal to procure robots to fight along with firemen in critical caseson March 3, 2020 at 10:10 pm
A prototype of the robot, which is being acquired by the state KOLKATA: The state fire department will soon have robots in its squad to flight alongside firemen. It is in an advanced stage of ...
- Nurturing scientific mindson February 28, 2020 at 8:58 am
It is not too bold to imagine a future where robot doctors and robot fire-fighters carry out tasks that are too hazardous or beyond the capacity of humans. While it is the developed countries of the ...
- Can This Fire Fighting Robot Take The Heat?on February 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm
It’s a prime candidate for some robot helpers, and [Ivan] has stepped in with a fun build that, while it won’t be serving in your municipal department any time soon, gets us thinking about the ...
- first responderson February 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm
T5 Robotic Rover: The High-Tech Crime FighterBuilt ... Michigan first responders – police officers, fire fighters and emergency medical technicians – and a guest will receive free admission ...
- Spring 2015 Inside Consumer Reportson February 3, 2020 at 1:57 pm
The local fire fighters arrived fast ... We set the automatic grill-cleaning robot to work in a closed grill equipped with a camera. It did an OK job on the tops of the grates, but you’ll ...
- Robotics In Textile Industry - A Global Scenarioon August 21, 2018 at 8:29 am
3) Robotics for melt-blowing to form shaped/molded fabric structures The production of nonwoven and tailored 3D structures for protective garments (such as those worn by fire fighters) using ...
via Bing News