KIT researchers have developed microstructured lightweight construction materials of highest stability.
Although their density is below that of water, their stability relative to their weight exceeds that of massive materials, such as high-performance steel or aluminum. The lightweight construction materials are inspired by the framework structure of bones and the shell structure of the bees’ honeycombs. The results are now presented in the journal PNAS, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1315147111.
“The novel lightweight construction materials resemble the framework structure of a half-timbered house with horizontal, vertical, and diagonal struts,” says Jens Bauer, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). “Our beams, however, are only 10 µm in size.” In total, the lightweight construction elements are about 50 µm long, wide, and high.
“Nature also uses open-pore, non-massive structures for carrying loads,” Oliver Kraft, KIT, explains. Examples are wood and bones. At the same density, however, the novel material produced in the laboratory can carry a much higher load. A very high stability was reached by a shell structure similar to the structure of honeycombs. It failed at a pressure of 28 kg/mm2 only and had a density of 810 kg/m3. This exceeds the stability / density ratio of bones, massive steel, or aluminum. The shell structure produced resembles a honeycomb with slightly curved walls to prevent buckling.
To produce the lightweight construction materials, 3D laser lithography was applied. Laser beams harden the desired microstructure in a photoresist. Then, this structure is coated with a ceramic material by gas deposition. The structures produced were subjected to compression via a die to test their stability.
Microstructured materials are often used for insulation or as shock absorbers. Open-pore materials may be applied as filters in chemical industry.
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
- Design software key to robotics performance, says nTopologyon January 22, 2020 at 5:46 am
The tools that robotics developers use to design new products are just as important to performance as their choice of materials and components ... to see how fast people in this space can pick it up. ...
- Advanced Phase Change Materials Market: Comprehensive Evaluation Of The Market Via In-Depth Qualitative Insightson January 20, 2020 at 5:57 am
Increase in production of lightweight automobiles and surge in infrastructure ... Nevertheless, advancement in filter material technology is expected to create multiple opportunities in the market.
- Future Mars Habitats Could Be Made From Moldy Materialon January 17, 2020 at 3:50 am
The space agency’s myco-architecture project envisions a future where human explorers can carry compact lodgings, built of lightweight material and dormant fungi ... More on Geek.com: Fungii Turn Rice ...
- Injection Molding Materials Market: Study Reveals Growth Factors and Competitive Outlook for Futureon January 14, 2020 at 4:40 am
Plastic owing to its lightweight, high durability and ease of molding is ... However, industries such as consumer goods, construction, healthcare as well as automotive is generating stable demand for ...
- Innovative lightweight construction concept for seat backson January 14, 2020 at 2:22 am
“Fibre reinforced composites are the ideal material for lightweight automotive construction, but Maezio™ can further simplify molding and streamline the manufacturing process.” In the case of a seat ...
- Lightweight and Compact Thermal Sensor Modules - An Introductionon January 14, 2020 at 1:53 am
Detecting IR emissions from poorly insulated buildings to increase efficiency and optimize building energy saving is another application ... and variations can prevent refractory and insulation ...
- Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Industry Analysis and Outlook to 2024 - Increasing Demand for Lightweight Materials in the Transportation Industryon January 6, 2020 at 5:51 am
The major drivers for growth in this market are increasing demand for lightweight materials in the transportation industry; corrosion and chemical resistance materials demand in construction and ...
- 'Buildings' in human bone may hold key to stronger 3D-printed lightweight structureson December 5, 2019 at 1:37 pm
"Bone is a building. It has these columns that carry ... this design would be useful for creating more resilient lightweight materials. "When something is lightweight, we can use less of it ...
- Automotive Lightweight Materials Market Size Worth US$ 155,985 Mn By 2026on November 24, 2019 at 2:01 pm
also these lightweight materials are ideal for vehicle frame construction. The major key factor flourishing the market growth of automotive lightweight material market is due to the increasing ...
- EVs to Grab Potential Offered by Lightweight Construction Materialson October 25, 2019 at 4:37 am
taking into account the cyclical transient material behavior, in order to be able to increase the lightweight construction potential of the new manufacturing processes. »With these more precise ...
via Bing News