Engineers at the University of California, San Diego, have created new ceramic materials that could be used to store hydrogen safely and efficiently.
The researchers have created for the first time compounds made from mixtures of calcium hexaboride, strontium and barium hexaboride. They also have demonstrated that the compounds could be manufactured using a simple, low-cost manufacturing method known as combustion synthesis.
The work is at the proof of concept stage and is part of a $1.2 million project funded by the National Science Foundation, a collaboration between UC San Diego, Alfred University in upstate New York and the University of Nevada, Reno. The manufacturing process for the ceramics is faster and simpler than traditional methods used to manufacture these types of materials. The researchers presented their work in March 2014 at the third International Symposium on Nanoscience and Nanomaterials in Mexico.
“We are looking for solid materials that can store and release hydrogen easily,” said Olivia Graeve, a professor at the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego, who has gained international recognition as a nanomaterials manufacturing expert. Storing hydrogen has become increasingly important as hydrogen fuel cells become more popular power sources in industry and elsewhere. But hydrogen, the lightest element on the periodic table, is difficult to store. It tends to diffuse through the walls of pressurized tanks. It also needs to be compressed in order to occupy manageable amounts of space when stored.
The resulting ceramics are essentially crystalline structures in a cage of boron. To store hydrogen, the researchers would swap the calcium, strontium and boron with hydrogen atoms within the cage.
Engineers mixed boron with metal nitrates and organic fuels, such as urea, in a box furnace at temperatures below 400 degrees Celsius—roughly 750 degrees Fahrenheit—cooler than a commercial pizza oven. The nitrates and organic fuels ignite, generating heat that then drives the reaction without the need for an external source of power. This method is known as combustion synthesis.
“It’s a very simple, nice process,” Graeve explained.
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
- 'I'm bullish on hydrogen' — Jim Cramer breaks down his top hydrogen playson October 9, 2020 at 8:45 pm
"Over the next 10 to 20 years, I expect hydrogen to take major market share in transportation," the "Mad Money" host said.
- Sempra's SDG&E plans green hydrogen storage projectson October 9, 2020 at 4:50 pm
San Diego Gas & Electric discloses plans to place two long-duration green hydrogen storage projects into service by 2022, the first such projects in California.If realized by 2022, the projects would ...
- Nikola talks up hydrogen potential in its latest prototype presentationon October 9, 2020 at 7:01 am
Nikola (NASDAQ:NKLA) showed off its prototypes to the hydrogen industry yesterday at an event that also covered the company's patents and strategy to be a technology integrator.
- Nikola Celebrates National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell Day 2020on October 8, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Nikola Corporation today highlighted its ongoing hydrogen and fuel-cell efforts in celebration of National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell Day 2020. "We are excited to celebrate National Hydrogen and Fuel-Cell ...
- Idaho laboratory joins national research programs for making 'green' hydrogenon October 8, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Idaho National Laboratory is a member of two new Department of Energy research consortia charged with exploring new methods and technologies for hydrogen production. Hydrogen can effectively store ...
- RIX Industries and Element 1 Corporation Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systemson October 8, 2020 at 9:44 am
RIX Industries ("RIX"), a leading developer of pneumatic energy technology, announced today that it has licensed proprietary methanol-based M-Series hydrogen generator technology from Element 1 Corp ...
- SoCalGas & Longo Toyota Donate 1,008 Meals to Mark National Hydrogen Day and Bring Attention to Carbon-Free Fuelon October 8, 2020 at 9:42 am
In recognition of National Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Day and the hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai, Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) and Longo Toyota of El Monte are donating 1,008 meals to non-profit, ...
- FuelCell Energy Celebrates National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day: Providing Hydrogen for ...on October 8, 2020 at 6:20 am
Will provide Toyota the distributed green hydrogen needed at the Port of Long Beach, California to accelerate the adoption of fuel cell car and truck transportation, ...
- Element 1 Corp and RIX Industries Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systemson October 7, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Element 1 Corp and RIX Industries Partner to Deploy Hydrogen Generators for Fuel Cell Propulsion Systems for Marine Vessels ...
- Hydrogen Double-Decker Buses Arrive in Europe’s Top Oil Cityon October 6, 2020 at 9:00 pm
The world’s first double-decker hydrogen buses will arrive in Aberdeen, Scotland, on Wednesday, a city best known as a base for some of the world’s top oil companies.
via Bing News