Have you ever wished you had a virtual time machine that could show you how your street looked last century?
Très Cloîtres Numérique , due to be launched this summer, is a ‘living memorial’ to a neglected quarter of Grenoble, says VENTURI Project Coordinator Paul Chippendale. The project was designed to appeal “to people familiar with the neighbourhood as well as those who are interested in Grenoble’s rich cultural heritage and human history.”
Participants can use a tablet or smartphone to look at the city through a virtual lens. The modern-day scene that they can see through their device’s camera is overlaid with historical photographs and 3D reconstructions of ancient buildings, allowing the users to look at their surroundings, going backwards through time. Local schoolchildren have collected photographs and memories from their parents and grandparents in order to preserve their memories for future generations.
Beyond Smartphones and Tablets: Wearable AR
Whilst Très Cloitres Numérique is ambitious, it still relies on the user looking through the screen of their smart device. “But rather than having to view the world through your device,” says Mr Chippendale, “it should be possible to experience an augmented environment seamlessly through smart glasses, watches and earpieces.
“The customary ‘letterbox’ paradigm of AR – holding up your Smartphone and using it as a magic looking glass – certainly makes AR accessible to the masses, but in my opinion it is not a comfortable experience. Even though I work in this field I still do not use AR Apps in my everyday life,” says Mr Chippendale. “They are just too generic and do not give me the information that I need according to where I am, what I am doing and what I enjoy.
“However, I do believe that this is about to change. In VENTURI, we have been exploring cutting edge ‘reality sensing’ through computer-vision and sensor fusion, and have tied this together with intuitive ‘world augmentation’ through 3D audio, Smartwatch interaction and HMDs like GoogleGlass.
“It’s the aim of the VENTURI project to create augmented reality applications that blend seamlessly with the user’s interaction with the real world.” Rather than needing to stop to look at their smartphone or tablet, users would receive information that would enhance their experience of the world around them through an earpiece or smart glasses.
Using AR to Help Customers
It’s not only virtual history galleries that can be created using the VENTURI project’s augmented reality systems. Companies like Volkswagen, Audi and IKEA are working with project partner Metaio to create exciting new tools. For example, Audi customers can take a virtual tour of their new vehicle to learn its features and Volkswagen allows users to customise a car before ordering. IKEA and Mitsubishi both allow clients to see how their products would look in their homes or offices, before buying.
By working with Metaio and Sony, the VENTURI project is creating what they believe will be the first generation of ubiquitous AR tools. Says Paul Chippendale:
The Latest on: Augmented Reality
via Google News
The Latest on: Augmented Reality
- Global Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) Market Research Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 27, 2020 at 11:18 am
The global augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) market is projected to account for a revenue of $1,274.4 billion in 2030, rising from $37.0 billion in 2019, progressing ...
- TVS launch augmented reality applicationon November 27, 2020 at 12:56 am
TVS has launched an augmented reality application called A.R.I.V.E. The company has said this application allows for an “in-depth product exploration and purchase experience using AR technology”. The ...
- At 46.6% CAGR, Global Augmented Reality in Retail Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027on November 26, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Global Augmented Reality in Retail Market is valued approximately at USD 10.7 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than 46.6% over the forecast period ...
- Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (ARVR) Industry Analysis, Size, Market share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025on November 26, 2020 at 7:46 am
Summary A New Market Study, titled "Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (ARVR) Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers ...
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewers Not Impressed With Augmented Reality Balloonson November 26, 2020 at 6:14 am
Despite all the challenges presented in 2020, it isn't stopping the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. That said, things are a bit different this time around, as the crowds that are normally in attendance ...
- Global Digital Out-of-Home (DOOH) Market Report 2020-2026 - The Rise of Augmented Reality & Nex-Gen Glad-vertisingon November 26, 2020 at 6:00 am
Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global market ...
- Challenges: How COVID-19 happened and charting the path forward for Augmented Reality (AR) in Healthcare Marketon November 26, 2020 at 2:43 am
Check out How COVID-19 impact on the Augmented Reality in Healthcare Market. Click here to Connect with Analyst @ Augmented Reality in the healthcare industry has proved to be beneficial. It has wide ...
- Can Virtual Technologies And Augmented Reality Save The Struggling Food Service Industry?on November 26, 2020 at 2:40 am
The industry needs to shift away from its traditional approaches and begin to rely more heavily on virtual tools and interactive streaming platforms as a means to survive and thrive beyond the ...
- Get your first look at Goo Goo Dolls "augmented-reality movie musical" 'It's Christmas All Over'on November 24, 2020 at 10:58 am
Goo Goo Dolls have announced details of It's Christmas All Over, an "augmented-reality movie musical" inspired by their holiday album of the same name. The movie, created with the livestreaming ...
- Blue Hat Signs Cooperation Agreement to Launch New Augmented Reality Immersive Classes in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Areaon November 24, 2020 at 6:00 am
Blue Hat Interactive Entertainment Technology, a leading producer, developer and operator of augmented reality interactive entertainment games, toys and educational materials in China, today announced ...
via Bing News