“MixFab:A mixed-reality environment for personal fabrication” creates a way for non-specialists to make their own 3D models and print them out.
The research is to be given the Best Paper award at the world-leading ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, which takes place in Toronto in April 2014.
The authors are Christian Weichel, Dr Manfred Lau, and Professor Hans Gellersen from the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University and Microsoft’s David Kim and Nicolas Villar (who completed a PhD at Lancaster before joining Microsoft in Cambridge).
Professor Gellersen said: “This marks the research as one of the most significant contributions to the field made over the last year.”
Personal fabrication machines, such as 3D printers and laser cutters, are becoming increasingly ubiquitous. But designing objects for fabrication still requires 3D modelling skills, making them inaccessible without specialist training.
MixFab enables users to design objects in an immersive augmented reality environment, interact with virtual objects in a direct gestural manner and can introduce existing physical objects effortlessly into their designs.
Christian Weichel said: “MixFab is designed to lower the barrier for users to create content for 3D printing. By using augmented reality, users can create virtual 3D models of objects and see them projected into their working environment. They can shape the 3D models with intuitive hand gestures, and even use physical objects, for example to make the model fit to the shape of an existing object. Once they are done, the 3D model is printed out and immediately usable as a new physical object.”
He said a problem which novices have is 3D manipulation and navigation in “flat” 3D design environments.
“However, we all know how to interact with 3D objects in the real world. MixFab transfers this knowledge into the design world by situating the design environment in the physical space and making the virtual objects handleable as if they were physical entities.”
The Latest on: Personal fabrication
via Google News
The Latest on: Personal fabrication
- As Outbreak Hits New Highs, Stitt Continues Defying Guidelines He Tells Oklahomans To Followon October 9, 2020 at 12:24 pm
(This story was updated on Fri., Oct. 9, at 2:52 p.m. to include comments from Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum received after publication.) ...
- Outbreak Reaching New Highs, Stitt Maintains 'Do As I Say, Not As I Do' Attitude On Virus Guidelineson October 9, 2020 at 11:34 am
As COVID-19 continues to ravage Oklahoma and the state sets grim records for hospitalizations and new cases, Gov. Kevin Stitt remains seemingly immune to ...
- Tektronix Introduces S530 Series Parametric Test System with KTE 7 Software to Support Wide Bandgap (WBG) Fabricationon October 6, 2020 at 5:13 am
Tektronix, Inc., a leading worldwide provider of test and measurement solutions, today released the new Keithley S530 Series Parametric ...
- Tektronix introduces S530 Series to support Wide Bandgap (WBG) fabricationon October 5, 2020 at 6:31 am
Tektronix has announced the release of the Keithley S530 Series Parametric Test System with KTE 7 software and other enhancements. The S530 platform enables semiconductor fabs to add parametric test ...
- NXT BLD 2020 — Goes Virtual and Interactive in Octoberon October 5, 2020 at 5:20 am
Speakers from The Bartlett, Epic, Royal BAM, AA, Proving Ground — and more complete lineup for NXT BLD 2020 conference — provide glimpse of future ...
- Victor Wanyama releases statement after personal misconduct allegationson September 30, 2020 at 7:22 am
Kenya captain Victor Wanyama has released a statement on his official Twitter account after allegations were made by a teenager during an Instagram Live interview. "My attention has been drawn to a ...
- Global TEK Fabrication Co Ltd 4566on September 24, 2020 at 5:00 pm
As an employee of Morningstar, Inc., Mr. Davidson is guided by Morningstar, Inc.'s Code of Ethics and Personal Securities Trading Policy in carrying out his responsibilities. For information ...
- Pysaruk Calls VAB Bank’s Case a Fabrication and Total Absurdityon September 21, 2020 at 8:50 am
Pysaruk, a former IMF employee, has stated that the VAB Bank refinancing case investigated by NABU is a fabrication and total absurdity ... I’m shocked on a personal level… No apologies, please. I don ...
- Primex Design & Fabrication Employees Step Up for Pandemic Responseon September 21, 2020 at 8:21 am
21, 2020 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Primex Design & Fabrication, PD&F ... PD&F has been producing its PrimexProtect™ line of personal protective equipment (PPE) and social distancing products ...
- Local company expands to produce PPE during pandemicon September 20, 2020 at 7:16 am
Kaye Stone-Gansz worked in management at Xerox for 26 years before becoming the CEO of LaGasse Machine & Fabrication ... to include the production of personal protective equipment or PPE.
via Bing News