Engineer Peter Fox has designed the UK’s first “giant vending machine”- style automated shops, selling groceries including eggs, milk and pet food
An engineer has designed the UK’s first automated shop, allowing villagers who have lost their local store to stock up on provisions again.
Electrical engineer Peter Fox spent two-and-a-half years honing the shop – which he describes as a ‘giant vending machine’ – before it was installed this week outside a pub in Clifton, near Ashbourne in Derbyshire.
Residents can use cash or credit cards to buy milk, eggs, toiletries, kitchen essentials, pet food and even umbrellas and the machine will send out an email when its stock levels are getting low.
Mr Fox says the stores, which will be introduced to other villages in the area in the coming months, would herald a return to convenience shopping for people in rural communities who have lost their local shop.
The 50-year-old father-of-two added: “I had this idea a few years ago but I couldn’t find a manufacturer who could deliver what I wanted, so I rolled up my sleeves and did it myself.
“The result is what essentially amounts to a huge outdoor vending machine – but the term ‘automatic shop’ is actually far more appropriate.
“The problem with vending machines is that they can’t handle the range, weight, or delicacy of a wide range of products such as milk, eggs, bread, washing powder and so on. Our shop can handle all of these and many more besides.”
The shop is fitted with an array of security features including cameras and alarms.
The Latest on: Automated shops
via Google News
The Latest on: Automated shops
- Cyber Monday weekend is here: All the best deals to shop right nowon November 27, 2020 at 10:27 pm
These early Cyber Monday 2020 price drops on the Amazon Fire stick, Apple AirPods are more are some of the best we've seen—shop our top picks.
- SHOP TALK: Cool tools, great books, stats and news for homeownerson November 27, 2020 at 3:06 pm
A roundup of household gadgets, interesting books, real estate statistics and other news of interest to homeowners and industry professionals.
- Shop the Amazon Gift Guideon November 27, 2020 at 10:39 am
There's always a good reason to buy a heartfelt holiday gift for someone special. This year, especially, we all need to embrace any opportunity to celebrate and treat our loved ones and friends with a ...
- Black Friday 2020: All the best Black Friday deals to shop on Apple, KitchenAid and moreon November 26, 2020 at 12:00 am
We've rounded up all the best Black Friday deals from every top retailer on the web, from Macy's and Kohl's to Best Buy and Wayfair—shop all of our top picks.
- Gephardt: Shop early, ship early this holiday seasonon November 25, 2020 at 10:32 am
Retailers have already started rolling out Black Friday deals. This is good news for delivery services like the United States Postal Service.
- Clinically vulnerable shop worker ‘forced to choose between work and health’ after returning from furloughon November 25, 2020 at 9:31 am
Katie Cheval, a 30-year-old retail assistant from Kent, said she was given little to no suppot by her employer ...
- Market America | SHOP.COM Partners With Packsize To Solve Packaging Constraints And Improve Efficiencies While Becoming More Environmentally Friendlyon November 24, 2020 at 5:48 pm
SHOP.COM customers are receiving the products they ordered in a right-sized box – the smallest possible box size ...
- CMOs Face Pressure to Scale Up Production of Automated Instruments to Meet Rising Demand for COVID-19 Testingon November 24, 2020 at 12:22 pm
IVD companies are continuously looking at new ways to optimize resources due to rising cost pressures and regulatory complexities, prompting industry participants to adopt innovative, integrated ...
- Krispy Kreme closes Santa Fe doughnut shopon November 21, 2020 at 3:25 pm
Krispy Kreme, a favorite among doughnut lovers, vanished overnight from Santa Fe. The doughnut shop was open Friday, but the store's sign at Cerrillos Road and Richards Avenue was down Saturday ...
- A robot barista in Golden is operating the first automated cafe in Coloradoon November 20, 2020 at 4:52 pm
As many cafes close down, an entrepreneur in Golden is betting on automation as the future of the coffee industry. He says robots can be useful in cutting costs as COVID cuts into the profits of small ...
via Bing News