British aerospace firm Reaction Engines has been working on an aircraft it believes would be able to take passengers anywhere in the world in just four hours.
If that doesn’t sound utterly awesome enough, how about this: The vehicle would also be able to fly in outer space.
Reaction Engines says there’s only one truly new technology in the aircraft that makes those things possible: the precooler.
In a new video, chief engineer Alan Bond explains that air entering the new “Sabre” engine system could be cooled by more than 1,000 degrees Celsius in .01 seconds. That ability would allow a jet engine to run at higher power than what is possible today.
And more power equals more speed. Enough to fly at Mach 5, five times the speed of sound, “pretty easily,” Bond says.
The Telegraph explained the technology in an article in late 2012:
The breakthrough technology is a cooling system which uses an array of thin pipes, arranged in a “swirl” pattern and filled with condensed helium, to extract heat from air and cool it to minus 150C before it enters the engine.
In normal circumstances, this would cause moisture in the air to freeze, coating the engine with frost, but the company has also developed a method which prevents this from happening.
The company eventually hopes to use its cooling technology to build a plane that transports 300 passengers and flies like a rocket. It will “transform high-speed aviation,” Bond says, adding, “We have no competitors. We are unique.”
The Latest on: High-speed aviation
via Google News
The Latest on: High-speed aviation
- Connected Aircraft Market is estimated to reach $11.7 billion by 2025; growing at a CAGR of 17.2% from 2020 to 2025on November 28, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Comserve Inc. / -- Connected aircraft has capability to send & receive the real time data from ground based operating systems, which delivers the critical information associated to avionic system in ...
- Classic Aero-TV: High-Speed Match-up - Venom and GE Rebirth A Legendon November 26, 2020 at 9:05 pm
Major Engine Supplier Joins Forces With Small Aircraft Manufacturer… GE recently made an agreement with Venom Aircraft to supply engines for the kit-built airplane wh ...
- Eurostar is 'fighting for survival' after Covid caused 95 per cent drop in demand as rail operator complains that aviation rivals have been given £1.8bn of taxpayer supporton November 25, 2020 at 4:41 am
Channel rail operator claimed it is being treated unfairly after the aviation sector was given extra assistance due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Hong Kong’s battered aviation sector expected to receive boost in policy address as stakeholders call for ‘as much help’ as possibleon November 24, 2020 at 6:43 pm
The upcoming policy address by Hong Kong's leader should include measures to bolster connectivity in the Greater Bay Area in southern China to help the air travel industry, which has been battered by ...
- Global 5G Market in Aviation Market Outlook to 2027: Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 48.85%on November 23, 2020 at 8:30 am
Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. According to the report, the Global 5G Market in Aviation market accounted for $0.22 billion in 2019 and ...
- Aircraft Communication System Market to Exhibit 7.95% CAGR; Rising Need for Cockpit Voice Recorder to Boost Growth 2020 to 2026on November 23, 2020 at 1:52 am
The report further mentions that the aircraft communication system market size was USD 915.5 million in 2018 is projected to reach USD 1,688.0 million by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 7.95% during the ...
- Aviation taxes would endanger fleet renewal: Air France-KLM chiefon November 20, 2020 at 9:03 am
New aviation taxes proposed in France would reduce the ability of Air France-KLM to address its impact on the environment through fleet renewal programmes, according to the group's chief executive Ben ...
- North America Aircraft Fairings Market Size to Expand at Over 3% CAGR through 2026on November 19, 2020 at 11:43 pm
Graphical Research :According to the Graphical Research new growth forecast report titled North America Aircraft Fairings Market Size, By Aircraft (Commercial [Narrow-body, Wide-body], Regional, ...
- Fighter Aircraft Market Size 2020 with Covid 19 Impact Analysis, Driving Factors by Manufacturers, Growth and Forecast 2028on November 19, 2020 at 4:43 pm
Comserve Inc. / -- The fighter aircraft market is estimated to record a notable CAGR over the forecast period i.e.
- Physics challenges for green aviationon November 17, 2020 at 5:24 am
The aviation industry is exploring new directions to become environmentally friendly, as Brian Tillotson explains ...
via Bing News