MELBOURNE researchers have uncovered a pathway that controls whether bones get stronger or weaker, a breakthrough they hope will lead to the first cure for osteoporosis.
More than a million Australians suffer from the debilitating brittle bone condition, in which bone mass is lost quicker than the body can replace it.
St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research’s bone cell biology and disease unit has found that by deleting a particular receptor in the bone-forming cells of animals, they can create low bone mass and cause defects in collagen, leaving the bones more susceptible to breakage.
Lead researcher Associate Professor Natalie Sims said after proving this concept, the results of which were published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, they would now focus on shifting the balance of proteins the other way, aiming to improve bone strength.
Prof Sims said the research, backed by a $626,000 grant from the National Health and Medical Research Council, would focus on two proteins, STAT3 and STAT1, which were being investigated around the world in cancer and immunology research.
“We think that if the balance is in favour of STAT3, we will get increased bone formation. But if the balance is shifted the other way, we will get increased bone destruction,” Prof Sims said.
“At the moment there are new treatments based on STAT3 and STAT1 inhibitors and activators that are being used for cancer in preclinical trials.
“We’ll know whether they’ll actually be useful for treating bone disease as well, or whether their use for cancer will have good or bad effects on the skeleton.”
The Latest on: Osteoporosis
via Google News
The Latest on: Osteoporosis
- Kamada Enters into Partnership with Alvotech for Commercialization of Six Biosimilar Products in Israelon December 2, 2019 at 6:37 am
PF708 is a biosimilar candidate to teriparatide, an FDA approved product marketed by Eli Lilly and Company under the brand name Forteo®/Forsteo® for the treatment of osteoporosis in patients with a ...
- Hip Replacement Implants Market to Reach a Market Size of $7.4 Billion by 2025 - KBV Researchon December 2, 2019 at 5:15 am
The accelerated demand for hip replacement surgical procedures, expansion in the elderly population, and the prevailing lower extremity conditions like osteoporosis, osteoarthritis (OA), and hip ...
- Avoiding osteoporosis? Fortify your bones with calcium-rich foodson December 2, 2019 at 5:00 am
So it’s no laughing matter that one in two women age 50 or older, and one in four men, will break a bone due to osteoporosis. Most people have no idea they have osteoporosis until they break their ...
- Do soft drinks affect women's bone health?on November 29, 2019 at 8:44 am
Osteoarthritis, which is characterized by progressively weak and brittle bones, predominantly affects older adults. As Western populations age, therefore, the incidence of osteoporosis rises in step.
- Strictly Come Dancing's Emma Weymouth oozes glamour for The Royal Osteoporosis Gala Dinner in Londonon November 27, 2019 at 12:57 pm
She became the sixth celebrity voted off this year's Strictly Come Dancing. And Viscountess Emma Weymouth didn't appear too down in the dumps as she attended The Royal Osteoporosis Gala Dinner at ...
- Osteoporosis: Could selenium reduce risk?on November 27, 2019 at 7:10 am
A recent study from China finds an association between dietary intake of selenium and osteoporosis risk. Although the authors cannot determine whether the link is causal, they call for more ...
- Osteoporosis Drugs Market Worldwide Industry Share, Size, Gross Margin Analysis till 2023 | Eli Lilly, Novartis, Pfizer, Amgenon November 27, 2019 at 6:30 am
Nov 27, 2019 (Reporthive Research via COMTEX) -- Chicago, United States, Nov 27, 2019 -- Report Hive Research adds Osteoporosis Drugs market report to its market research database. This report is a ...
- A protein found in bone could play a role in osteoporosis, San Antonio researcher sayson November 25, 2019 at 10:00 pm
A protein found in bone could play a role in osteoporosis, San Antonio researcher says Xiaodu Wang, a professor of mechanical and biomedical engineering at the University of Texas at San Antonio, is ...
- Seeing his mother suffer from osteoporosis prompted this entrepreneur to launch women’s wellness startup &Meon November 24, 2019 at 4:14 pm
In 2015, when Ankur Goyal was studying at Stanford Business School, his mother was diagnosed with osteoporosis, a condition where one’s bones become fragile and porous. Incidentally, data reveals that ...
- Osteoporosis Treatment Market Emerging Technology, Global Trends, Growth Factors, Share, Industry Analysis and Forecast by 2026on November 21, 2019 at 1:19 am
Nov 21, 2019 (The Expresswire) -- Osteoporosis Treatment Market by Top Key Players are ALLERGAN, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis AG, Pfizer Inc, DAIICHI ...
via Bing News