It’s the energy storage industry’s equivalent of the Oklahoma land rush.
While most Americans were paying attention to election results, news emerged out of California on Wednesday that truly heralds a new era for the energy storage industry. Utility Southern California Edison announced that it will acquire 2200 megawatts (MW) of new power generation assets, of which 250 MW will be energy storage systems. This is the end result of the “Lowest Cost Resource” request for proposals that is designed to eventually replace the generation provided by the shuttered San Onofre nuclear power plant.
While the sheer scale of the announcement is staggering (no utility has ever purchased 250 MW of non-pumped-hydro energy storage before), the details of the announcement are even more impactful. Although SCE was expected to use some of this bid for energy storage (it listed energy storage as a “preferred resource” on the RFP), Navigant Research assumed the energy storage part of the purchase would be about 50 MW. By ordering five times that amount of energy storage, SCE is making a very loud statement about how highly it values energy storage as a grid management tool.
The Land Rush Begins
Another important aspect of this move is that it was done on a completely level playing field. SCE decided to purchase 250 MW of energy storage because it felt it had a higher value than any other generation asset (including natural gas, wind and solar). That in itself is an extremely important positive note for the energy storage industry.
Even more important for the industry is that SCE’s big vote of confidence for energy storage happened just before the launch of three big RFPs that were designed as part of the energy storage mandate that California is forcing on the big utilities. By December 1st, all three of the large investor-owned utilities in the state will introduce a total of more than 200 MW of energy storage purchases. It’s the energy storage industry’s equivalent of the Oklahoma land rush.
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- The Promise and Challenges of Energy Storage: NJ Spotlight Roundtableon September 29, 2019 at 9:11 pm
As New Jersey pursues its clean-energy agenda, the challenge of effective storage and distribution has emerged as critical to realizing the state’s renewable energy potential. At an NJ Spotlight ...
- NEC Provides Energy Storage Solution to SP Group’s Award-Winning Hybrid Energy Storage Piloton September 27, 2019 at 5:00 am
WESTBOROUGH, Mass. & SINGAPORE--(Business Wire)--NEC Energy Solutions and NEC Asia Pacific jointly revealed today that NEC provided its 400kW, 400kWh GSS® end-to-end Grid Storage Solution and AEROS® ...
- This Edinburgh start-up hopes to use gravity to harness energy storageon September 26, 2019 at 6:56 am
An Edinburgh start-up that has developed energy storage technology utilising gravity is heading to Holland to compete for a major European prize. Gravitricity’s technology uses gravity to store large ...
- Sungrow Introduces Latest PV & Energy Storage Portfolio at Solar Power Internationalon September 25, 2019 at 9:57 pm
SALT LAKE CITY, Sept. 26, 2019 /CNW/ -- Sungrow, the world's most bankable inverter brand, presented the latest product portfolio for PV and energy storage applications at Solar Power ...
- Check out all of our energy storage resourceson September 25, 2019 at 12:49 pm
“This is what we’ve been working on for years,” says Blake Richetta, CEO of the U.S. business at Shell-owned sonnen.
- Renewable Energy Test Center Provides New Battery and Energy Storage System Testing Services with VDE Renewableson September 25, 2019 at 12:27 pm
New North American service for advanced, full-service energy storage testing to assist customers in ensuring bankability and predictive modeling for battery technologies FREMONT, Calif., Sept.
- Broad Reach Power, Utility-Scale Energy Storage Independent Power Producer, Forms with Backing by EnCap Investments and Yorktown Partnerson September 25, 2019 at 6:54 am
HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Broad Reach Power, a utility-scale storage independent power producer (IPP), announced today its formation and backing by leading energy investors EnCap Investments L.P.
- Energy Storage Gets Bipartisan Boost in Senateon September 25, 2019 at 5:49 am
You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.
- Engines of Our Ingenuity 2776: Asimov and Energy Storageon September 24, 2019 at 10:06 pm
Episode: 2776 Isaac Asimov’s fantastic worlds, robots that roam among us, and energy storage methods. Today, our guest Haleh Ardebili talks about Isaac Asimov and Energy Storage.
- Energy Storage Systems Market 2019 Size, Industry Share, Approaches and Forecast By 2024 - MRE Reporton September 24, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Sep 25, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, September 25, 2019: The key roles played by energy storage systems in power grids include time shifting to manage peak loads, providing power quality by ...
via Bing News