Anyone who has blown a bubble and seen how quickly it pops has first-hand experience on the major challenge in creating stable foams.
At its most basic level, foam is a bunch of bubbles squished together. Liquid foams, a state of matter that arises from tiny gas bubbles dispersed in a liquid, are familiar in everyday life, from beer to bathwater. They also are important in commercial products and processes, including pharmaceutical formulation, oil production, food processing, cleaning products, cosmetics, or hair and skin care products. Lightweight dry foams for the construction of buildings, automobiles and airplanes are key materials in the push for sustainability and energy efficiency. Making lightweight foam has one big challenge, however, keeping the foam stable.
A team of researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology has developed a new type of foam – called capillary foam – that solves many of the problems faced by traditional foams. The new research shows for the first time that the combined presence of particles and a small amount of oil in water-based foams can lead to exceptional foam stability when neither the particles nor the oil can stabilize the foams alone.
“It’s very difficult to stabilize foams, and we want foams that are stable for months or years,” said Sven Behrens, study co-author and professor in the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at Georgia Tech. “We’ve developed a way to make foams that is much easier and more broadly applicable that what is traditionally used.”
The Latest on: Dry Foams
via Google News
The Latest on: Dry Foams
- St. Lucie County turning Styrofoam packaging into picture frameson December 1, 2020 at 1:35 pm
As you unpack new electronics and products from Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals, did you know the Styrofoam packaging can be reprocessed and reused?
- Holiday Gift Guide 2020: Travel Gifts That Give Backon December 1, 2020 at 10:11 am
All of these travel gifts give back so you can shop with a conscience and easily rationalize buying for yourself as well as your loved ones. SeaVees’ Hawthorne slip on is a wardrobe essential in ...
- 52 Cyber Monday Fashion Deals On Amazon That Are SO Damn Cheapon November 30, 2020 at 2:39 pm
With so many great deals, Cyber Monday is the perfect time to stock up on everything from cookware to face masks, but did you know that you can also score serious savings on essential fashion items?
- Firefighting Foam Market Research Report by Mode, by Age, by Interface, by End User, by Distribution - Global Forecast to 2025on November 25, 2020 at 5:52 pm
The Global Firefighting Foam Market is expected to exceed more than US$ 869.7 Million by 2024 at a CAGR of 4.11% in the ...
- This Futuristic Outdoor Furniture Stays Clean and Dry All Year Longon November 17, 2020 at 11:54 am
They make outdoor furniture that’s as comfortable and high-quality as what you use indoors, but gets made with an advanced, patent-pending process keeping it clean and dry despite the elements.
- The Best Mattresses for People with Shoulder Painon November 17, 2020 at 9:49 am
A memory foam layer on top and a layer of coils at the ... The cover is made of cotton and Merino wool to help keep you cool and dry. The microcoils in this mattress are situated near the ...
- The 6 Best Memory Foam Bath Matson November 15, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Maybe not necessary, but I did hang to dry...Highly recommend." The stand-out feature of this plush mat is its one-inch pile of shaggy polyester chenille on top of a memory foam-core making it ...
- spray foamon November 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm
[Tyler] also uses expanding spray foam to soften up areas such as the hunched ... which [Tyler] made out of painted air-dry clay. It’s an awesome detail, though almost impossible to see once ...
- ELLE Edit: 12 Of The Best Dry Shampoos For Squeaky Clean Second Day Hairon November 13, 2020 at 2:36 am
The best bit? It's vegan and cruelty-free, plus it smells amazing. Dry shampoo that's a foam? You better believe it. Pantene's genius moisture-defying foam formula brings dirty, flat hair back to ...
- Everything You Wanted To Know About Co-Washing Your Hairon November 9, 2020 at 12:01 am
“Shampoo usually foams a lot, while co-wash doesn’t foam ... healthy oils so that it doesn’t get dry and brittle. Since co-washing cuts down on your hair-washing days, it helps improve ...
via Bing News