Birmingham City University is set to showcase the concept and design behind what could prove to be the world’s first affordable hydrogen fuel-cell powered mass transport vehicle.
In a partnership with UK motorsport entrepreneur and manufacturer Spencer Ashley and the DYPDC centre for automotive research in Pune, the University’s pioneering project will be unveiled in India later this week at the Auto Expo Motor Show (http://www.autoexpo-themotorshow.in/index.aspx).
In development since last Summer at Walsall-based manufacturer Spencer Ashley Ltd, the steer for the collaborative project stemmed from the Indian government’s Hydrogen Highway initiative which aims to ensure that at least 1 million hydrogen-fuelled vehicles hit the roads by 2020. The model, along with plans of a Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (otherwise known as the ‘Millennium Tuk-Tuk’ hydrogen car), will be showcased at the event and could provide a primary mode of public transport in India in the future.
The joint collaborative project between the University, DYPDC and Spencer Ashley has been set up to produce a four-wheeled replacement for the abundant auto-rickshaw vehicle, affectionately known as the Tuk Tuk utility vehicle.
The powertrain for the new and innovative car which produces zero exhaust emissions, consists of a hydrogen fuel cell, an electric motor and a complex control system. Hydrogen for the vehicle is stored in a cluster of low pressure metal hydride cylinders, providing a safe means of fuelling the system. A thermal compressor retrieves the produced hydrogen by splitting water into its component elements – hydrogen and oxygen – via solar energy. Hydrogen storage cylinders can then be used to power equipment including mobile phones, computers and lighting in remote and developing areas or in a humanitarian disaster situation, as well as powering an electric vehicle.
Parmjit Chima, Head of the School of Engineering, Design and Manufacturing Systems at Birmingham City University, said: “With the current climate agenda of a low-carbon economy and the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and pollution, the way vehicles are reliant on fossil fuels needs to change.
“With an abundance of sunshine in India, we have also been developing a ‘Hydrogen Tree’™ concept with a simple and aesthetically elegant design which would be capable of charging multiple hydride stores to power not only vehicles but other appliances and devices too. This research into extracting and storing hydrogen is a real game-changer.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen car
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen car
- His Holiness' hydrogen car: Toyota converts fuel-cell Mirai into a Popemobile to be used by the supreme pontiff in Japan next monthon October 12, 2020 at 8:29 am
The modified hydrogen-electric popmobiles, feature a redesigned rear section, with a traditional elevated seat and safety cage fitted so Pope Francis can greet large crowds while on the move.
- Environmentally friendly! India's first hydrogen fuel cell car trial run held successfully in Puneon October 12, 2020 at 5:33 am
Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology uses chemical reactions between hydrogen and oxygen to generate electrical energy, eliminating the use of fossil fuels.
- India's first hydrogen fuel car completes maiden test runon October 12, 2020 at 4:51 am
The FC vehicle was fitted with a hydrogen tank with 1.75 kg of H2 stored at about 350 bar pressure (a unit to measure pressure). The FC vehicle is capable of running 250 km under typical Indian road ...
- CSIR, KPIT Technologies complete trial run of India’s first hydrogen fuel cell passenger caron October 11, 2020 at 10:10 pm
The entire fuel cell stack and its associated components with the powertrain were retro-fitted in a standard 5-seater sedan car ...
- Trial run of India's first hydrogen fuel cell car successfully conducted by CSIR, KPITon October 10, 2020 at 7:33 pm
Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology uses chemical reactions between hydrogen and oxygen (from air) to generate electrical energy, eliminating the use of fossil fuels.The trials were run on a battery-electri ...
- CSIR, KPIT conduct successful trial runs of hydrogen fuel cell prototype caron October 10, 2020 at 8:31 am
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and KPIT Technologies successfully ran trials of India's first Hydrogen Fuel Cell (HFC) prototype car running on an indigenously developed fuel ...
- Trucking into the hydrogen eraon October 9, 2020 at 9:59 am
After years of unmet promises, hydrogen vehicles could finally be catching on. If so, it'll be a convoy of clean semi-trucks — not a bunch of quirky passenger cars — leading the way. The big picture: ...
- SoCalGas & Longo Toyota Donate 1,008 Meals to Mark National Hydrogen Day and Bring Attention to Carbon-Free Fuelon October 8, 2020 at 9:26 am
In recognition of National Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Day and the hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai, Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) and ...
- FuelCell Energy Celebrates National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day: Providing Hydrogen for ...on October 8, 2020 at 4:30 am
Will provide Toyota the distributed green hydrogen needed at the Port of Long Beach, California to accelerate the adoption of fuel cell car and truck transportation, improving air quality in the ...
- Polestar 2 recall, hydrogen carried in oil, Jeep Wrangler plug-in hybrid off-road: Today’s Car Newson October 6, 2020 at 8:50 am
An issue with the Polestar 2 gets fixed before its U.S. launch. Hyundai invests in the idea of hydrogen being transported in oil. And we look at how the Jeep Wrangler plug-in hybrid is configured for ...
via Bing News