The new screening method used by the scientists has the potential to search millions of different spider toxins for safe pain-killing drugs and therapies
Screening more than 100 spider toxins, Yale researchers identified a protein from the venom of the Peruvian green velvet tarantula that blunts activity in pain-transmitting neurons. The findings, reported in the March 3 issue of the journal Current Biology, show the new screening method used by the scientists has the potential to search millions of different spider toxins for safe pain-killing drugs and therapies.
The researchers note that they tested the spider toxins on only one of a dozen suspected human pain channels.
“The likelihood is that within the vast diversity of spider toxins we will find others that are active against other channels important for pain,” said Michael Nitabach, associate professor of cellular and molecular physiology and of genetics, and senior author of the paper.
The researchers screened the toxins from a variety of tarantula species to find one that blocked TRPA1, an ion channel on the surface of pain-sensing neurons that is implicated in inflammation and neuropathic pain.
In a process dubbed toxineering by the Yale researchers, the team generated another small library of mutated versions of the tarantula toxin to find one that blocked TRPA1 but had no effect on activity of other channels on the surface of neurons.
“The beauty of the system is we can also screen engineered toxins not found in nature, and identify higher-potency and more specific molecular variants that lack deleterious effects on essential nerve functions,’’ Nitabach said.
The Latest on: Spider toxins
via Google News
The Latest on: Spider toxins
- NIH releases footage of 'horrific' taxpayer-funded primate experiments after lawsuiton February 25, 2020 at 3:17 pm
The primates used for the experiments, which have taken place at an NIH laboratory in Bethesda, Maryland, since 1977, first had parts of their brains “sucked out” or destroyed with toxins to ...
- People Are Horrified After Seeing Massive Golden Orb Spider In Australiaon February 24, 2020 at 8:43 pm
While they might not administer a toxic venom that kills us quickly, their size is enough to terrify the pants off most Australians. Since the humungous spider went viral on Reddit, people have been ...
- Ivy Spider Planton February 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm
A common houseplant, the spider ivy (Chlorophytum comosum), or ... NASA scientists revealed the plants purify poor air, removing toxins like benzene, found in tobacco products, and formaldehyde ...
- Toxic ‘death tree’ can burn your skin if you stand under it – and its fruit makes you BLEED insideon February 21, 2020 at 6:57 am
THE WORLD'S "most dangerous tree" is so toxic that standing under it during rain will cause your skin to burn and ... If female ferrets don't have sex they will die of aplastic anaemia unless medical ...
- Absolute Antibody Partners with the Technical University of Denmark to Offer Antibodies against Animal Venom Toxinson February 20, 2020 at 7:24 am
Antibodies targeting various snake and spider toxins are now commercially available in newly engineered formats, providing valuable research tools for scientists worldwide striving to produce better ...
- What houseplants are toxic to cats? Avoid these Now!on February 19, 2020 at 12:46 pm
What houseplants are toxic to cats? The following list is just some that might shock you ... diarrhoea and liver failure are likely to result as well as death. Some people believe that spider plants ...
- Aloe Vera, English Ivy, Pothos: THESE plants purify the toxic air around youon February 19, 2020 at 2:17 am
According to a recent study, indoor plants can purify the air by removing toxins to help us breathe easily. Some of the most common air pollutants are benzene, formaldehyde and trichloroethylene which ...
- Spider Mites On Weed: Guide To Identification And Mitigationon February 18, 2020 at 2:46 pm
In worst-case scenarios (which will probably only come into play if you’ve got Borg mites), insecticide sprays containing pyrethrum or Floramite Spidercide will definitely kill spider mites, but can ...
- VENOM 2 Set Video Reveals Woody Harrelson Pulling Off Some Weird Moves After Being Confronted By Policeon February 18, 2020 at 5:20 am
and speculation continues running rampant that Spider-Man could make a cameo appearance. In one of Venom and Carnage's most entertaining clashes, the two Symbiotes went to war after Toxin was born.
- Spider numbers in the UK are DROPPING but dragonflies are thrivingon February 17, 2020 at 8:04 am
Unfortunately this isn't the case for spider and centipedes but work to improve air quality ... Every year, 300 to 400 million tons of heavy metals, solvents and toxic sludge are dumped into the world ...
via Bing News