Platelets, whose primary function is to prevent bleeding, are vital for treating various forms of trauma and blood diseases.
However, they can only be obtained through blood donations at present. Researchers reporting online February 13 in the Cell Press journal Cell Stem Cell recently found a way to create platelets without the need for donated blood, an advance that could possibly erase supply shortages and ensure platelet treatments for all who need them.
The supply of donated platelets, which have a short shelf life and must be kept at room temperature, is often insufficient to meet clinical needs. In addition, while transfused platelets do not typically need to be immune-matched to patients, repeated transfusion of unmatched platelets leads to an immune reaction that eventually renders patients unresponsive to platelet transfusion therapy.
To address these limitations, investigators from Japan developed a strategy to derive functional platelets from human induced pluripotent stem cells. Induced pluripotent stem cells can be generated from various types of cells in the body, and they can in turn be coaxed to develop into nearly any other cell type. In the current study, the approach involved genetically manipulating such stem cells to become stable immortalized lines of platelet-producing cells called megakaryocyte progenitors.
The megakaryocyte progenitors could produce large quantities of platelets with clotting capabilities that were similar to those of donated platelets. Unlike freshly donated platelets, though, the immortalized megakaryocyte progenitors could be expanded and frozen for long-term storage.
“Here we established a method to achieve the long-term self-replication of megakaryocyte progenitors as an immortalized cell line, which could eventually contribute to large-scale cultivation and production of platelets,” says senior author Dr. Koji Eto of Kyoto University and the University of Tokyo.
The Latest on: Platelet supply
via Google News
The Latest on: Platelet supply
- Human Platelet Lysate Market Latest In-Depth Report Segment by Manufacturers, Type, Applications and Dynamicshon February 17, 2020 at 10:08 pm
The report provides rational insights along with historical and forecast data to said in better understanding of the Global Human Platelet Lysate Market. The report provides a comprehensive analysis ...
- Donate Blood In Alameda County This Februaryon February 14, 2020 at 2:28 pm
ALAMEDA COUNTY, CA — Cancer patients use nearly a quarter of the U.S. blood supply, and the American Red Cross is launching its Give Blood to Give Time campaign to raise awareness about the patient ...
- Donate Blood In Contra Costa County This Februaryon February 14, 2020 at 2:23 pm
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA — Cancer patients use nearly a quarter of the U.S. blood supply, and the American Red Cross is launching its Give Blood to Give Time campaign to raise awareness about the ...
- Donate Blood In Tri-Valley This Februaryon February 14, 2020 at 8:09 am
TRI-VALLEY, CA — Cancer patients use nearly a quarter of the U.S. blood supply, and the American Red Cross is launching its Give Blood to Give Time campaign to raise awareness about the patient demand ...
- Cancer patients use more blood than those fighting any other diseaseon February 12, 2020 at 11:15 pm
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass® to complete ... How to donate All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card ...
- Coronavirus Inactivation Reported in Recent INTERCEPT Blood System Publication in Transfusion Medicineon February 12, 2020 at 12:44 pm
INTERCEPT Blood System product information for platelets and plasma can be accessed on the US and international product websites: Cerus Corporation is dedicated solely to safeguarding the world’s ...
- Platelet-rich Plasma Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020 - 2027: Harvest Technologies, DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Zimmer Biometon February 11, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Platelet-rich Plasma Market Research report ... consumption, import/export, supply/demand, gross, market share, CAGR, and gross margin. Additionally, the report presents a comprehensive study ...
- American Red Cross and American Cancer Society Presents "Give Blood to Give Time" Campaignon February 11, 2020 at 11:04 am
The American Red Cross says patients fighting cancer need more blood than patients fighting any other disease, using nearly one-quarter of the nation's blood supply. According to the American Cancer .
- Senior Center to hold blood drive Wednesday, Feb. 19on February 10, 2020 at 9:27 am
SIDNEY – The Senior Center of Sidney-Shelby County will help keep the winter blood supply “Donor Strong” by hosting a community blood drive Wednesday, Feb. 19, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 304 S. West ...
- Platelets induce increased estrogen production through NF-κB and TGF-β1 signaling pathways in endometriotic stromal cellson January 28, 2020 at 2:17 am
Since platelets are the first responder to injury ... In essence, this therapeutic approach is based on the idea of cutting off the fuel supply to lesion growth. Along this line, there is a hypothesis ...
via Bing News