A new measuring system is enabling sleep monitoring in your own bed.
A sensor is placed under the bed sheets, measuring e.g. heart rate, breathing, sleep quality and sleep length. The sleep data is presented to the user in a mobile app or online. The developer of the system, Joonas Paalasmaa, defended his dissertation on the subject at the University of Helsinki, Finland, on 7 February 2014.
Difficulty falling asleep, frequent waking, poor quality of sleep and a variety of sleep-related breathing problems are very common-they afflict approximately a third of the population.
-Discovering an easy way to track sleep could help improve sleep quality. The current measuring methods are uncomfortable and designed mainly for medical diagnoses, so they are unsuitable for measuring sleep independently at home, explains Joonas Paalasmaa, who defended his doctoral dissertation in computer science at the University of Helsinki, Finland, on 7 February.
Paalasmaa s dissertation demonstrates a new measuring method which makes it possible to easily measure the quantity and quality of sleep in your own bed.
A flexible film sensor is placed under the bed sheets to measure the sleeper s movement, heart rate and breathing. The sensor can obtain a great deal of sleep-related information from the measurements, such as the amount of sleep, snoring, and resting heart rate at night. This information is displayed to the user through an online service or mobile device.
The benefit of the measuring system is that the heart rate and breathing data can be measured even though the sensor is not in direct contact with the sleeper s body. The new signal processing methods can detect heart rate and breathing from the signals, as different forms of interference are accounted for in the algorithm.
The Latest on: Sleep
via Google News
The Latest on: Sleep
- The Importance of Sleep for Your Bodyon May 13, 2020 at 11:54 am
The benefits of sleep go beyond brain health. Your body also depends on a good night’s rest to function properly.
- The science of sleep: How sharing your dreams could help to improve your relationshipson May 13, 2020 at 10:16 am
When you wake up from a strange or particularly memorable dream, how likely are you to share it? Maybe you might tell your partner about it over breakfast or text a friend to tell them the details and ...
- Homeless New Yorkers say they have nowhere safe to sleep now that the subway is shutting down for nightly cleaningson May 13, 2020 at 9:53 am
The homeless have been sent to shelters, the conditions of which are susceptible to a coronavirus outbreak.
- Malibu Council Postpones Talk On Letting Homeless Sleep At Beachon May 13, 2020 at 8:48 am
The Malibu City Council decided to table a resolution to begin the process of letting homeless people sleep overnight in the Zuma Beach.
- Some of us have more time to sleep. So why are we so tired?on May 13, 2020 at 6:00 am
But some of us actually have more time to sleep. If we’re working from home, our commutes have been eliminated. We don’t have to get ourselves ready for work and the kids — and their lunches — ready ...
- How to help children sleep better during coronavirus lockdownon May 13, 2020 at 5:28 am
Wild dreams, 3am wake-ups and weary nights, the coronavirus pandemic seems to be playing havoc with our sleep. But it’s not just adults who have joined the #wideawakeclub, lockdown is also having an ...
- He gets no sleep collecting the bodies of coronavirus victims: ‘It’s not a job for everyone’on May 13, 2020 at 3:00 am
Preston Griffin never sleeps. Not really. Even when he sneaks a nap, his iPhone, set at maximum volume, is angled on the pillow, brushing his earlobe. He can’t miss the customized ringtone. The first ...
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Grubhub, Casper Sleep, BlackRock, Datadog and moreon May 12, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Check out the companies making headlines in midday trading. GrubHub, Uber — Grubhub shares soared 29.1% on news that ride-hailing company Uber has approached the company with a takeover bid. Uber’s ...
- The Best Waterproof Fitness Trackers to Record Your Swimming, Diving, Heart Rate and Sleepon May 12, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Whether you’re trying to lose some weight, beat your best running time, or want to monitor your sleep habits, you’ll want to pick up a waterproof fitness tracker. The best waterproof fitness trackers ...
- The 7 Best Blackout Curtains to Help You Sleep Better, Day or Nighton May 12, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Since there are plenty of different types of blackout curtains available on the market, we sorted through thousands of customer reviews in order to find the best options for you. We found that the two ...
via Bing News