Aerogels could improve some of our favorite machines, such as cars
“When you hold aerogel it feels like nothing – like frozen smoke. It’s about 95 to 97 percent air,” said Ann Anderson, professor of mechanical engineering. “Nano-porous, solid and very low density, aerogel is made by removing solvents from a wet-gel. It’s used for many purposes, like thermal insulation (on the Mars Rover), in windows or in extreme-weather clothing and sensors.”
Together with Brad Bruno, associate professor of mechanical engineering, Mary Carroll, professor of chemistry and others, Anderson is studying the feasibility of commercializing their aerogel fabrication process. A time and money-saver, it could appeal to industries already using aerogel made in other ways.
During rapid supercritical extraction (RSCE), chemicals gel together (like Jell-O) in a hot press; the resulting wet-gel is dried by removing solvents (the wet part). The remaining aerogel (dried gel), is created in hours, rather than the days or weeks alternative methods take.
RSCE, Anderson said, is also approximately seven times cheaper, requiring one hour of labor for every 8 hours the other methods need.
A good place for such a process, and Union aerogel, is the automotive industry.
“Our 3-way catalytic aerogels promote chemical reactions that convert the three major pollutants in automotive exhaust – unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide – into less harmful water, nitrogen and carbon dioxide,” Anderson said. “Because aerogels have very high surface areas and good thermal properties, we think they could replace precious metals, like platinum, used in current catalytic converters.”
The Latest on: Aerogel
via Google News
The Latest on: Aerogel
- Silica Aerogel Insulation Materials Market Technology Advancements and Business Outlook 2020-2024on July 3, 2020 at 1:12 am
Jul 03, 2020 (Stockestic via COMTEX) -- The Silica Aerogel Insulation Materials Market provides qualitative and quantitative research to provide a complete and comprehensive analysis of the ...
- Aerogel fashioned into world's lightest electromagnetic shieldingon July 2, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Containing the electromagnetic radiation generated by electronic components is a key consideration for designers of electronic devices, but today’s metal-based shielding materials have their downsides ...
- Researchers Create Lightest Shielding Material in the Worldon July 2, 2020 at 8:53 am
The ideal solution would be a light, flexible, and durable material with extremely high shielding effectiveness. A breakthrough in this area has now been achieved by a research team led by Zhihui Zeng ...
- Ceramic Aerogel Meets Stretch Goalson July 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm
However there’s always a downside, traditional aerogel material is brittle. Any attempt to compress it beyond 20% of its original size will change the material. Researchers at UCLA and eight ...
- Global Aerogels Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2020 | , Empa, Enersens, Green Earth Aerogel Technologies, Guangdong Alison Hi-Tech Coon June 30, 2020 at 9:32 pm
The Aerogels Market was estimated to be worth USD XXX billion in 2017 and is projected to reach USD XXX billion by the end of 2023, growing at a CAGR of XX% over the forecast period of 2018-2023. The ...
- Aerogel Prices to Drop by 90 Percent?on June 25, 2020 at 11:00 am
Policy & regulation are aligning with renewables cost declines to make projects more profitable and portfolios more sustainable. Batteries are helping to optimize the power grid and opening up new ...
- Anisotropic and hierarchical [email protected]on June 24, 2020 at 11:02 am
Here, to overcome these obstacles, a [email protected] 2 nanowire aerogel with a nanowire-assembled anisotropic and hierarchical microstructure was prepared by using directional freeze casting and subsequent ...
- Global Aerogel Blanket Market Growth Analysis predict CAGR of 18.49% In Major Regions along side Plastics, Polymers, and Elastomers sector.on June 17, 2020 at 10:57 pm
GlobalAerogel Blanket MarketReport Focuses on the Production Capacity, Industry Chain Structure, and Technical Data.
- Making Aerogel, It’s Not For The Faint-Heartedon June 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Aerogel — that mixture of air and silica — is one of those materials that seems like a miracle. It is almost not there since the material is 99% air. [NileRed] wanted to make his own and he ...
- Watch this aerogel insulated jacket withstand liquid nitrogenon June 11, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content ...
via Bing News