Aerogels could improve some of our favorite machines, such as cars
“When you hold aerogel it feels like nothing – like frozen smoke. It’s about 95 to 97 percent air,” said Ann Anderson, professor of mechanical engineering. “Nano-porous, solid and very low density, aerogel is made by removing solvents from a wet-gel. It’s used for many purposes, like thermal insulation (on the Mars Rover), in windows or in extreme-weather clothing and sensors.”
Together with Brad Bruno, associate professor of mechanical engineering, Mary Carroll, professor of chemistry and others, Anderson is studying the feasibility of commercializing their aerogel fabrication process. A time and money-saver, it could appeal to industries already using aerogel made in other ways.
During rapid supercritical extraction (RSCE), chemicals gel together (like Jell-O) in a hot press; the resulting wet-gel is dried by removing solvents (the wet part). The remaining aerogel (dried gel), is created in hours, rather than the days or weeks alternative methods take.
RSCE, Anderson said, is also approximately seven times cheaper, requiring one hour of labor for every 8 hours the other methods need.
A good place for such a process, and Union aerogel, is the automotive industry.
“Our 3-way catalytic aerogels promote chemical reactions that convert the three major pollutants in automotive exhaust – unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide – into less harmful water, nitrogen and carbon dioxide,” Anderson said. “Because aerogels have very high surface areas and good thermal properties, we think they could replace precious metals, like platinum, used in current catalytic converters.”
The Latest on: Aerogel
via Google News
The Latest on: Aerogel
- Asia-Pacific Aerogel Blanket Market Report 2019on May 12, 2020 at 11:08 pm
In this report, our team research theAsia-Pacific Aerogel Blanket market by type, application, region and manufacturer 2014-2019 and forcast 2020-2025. For the region, type and application, the sales, ...
- China Aerogel Blanket Market Report 2019on May 12, 2020 at 10:06 pm
In this report, our team research the China Aerogel Blanket market by type, application, region and manufacturer 2014-2019 and forcast 2020-2025. For the region, type and application, the sales, ...
- Europe Polymer Aerogel Market 2020 : Covid-19 Impact Analysis with Technological Advancement, Recent Trends and Demandon May 10, 2020 at 10:17 pm
The Global Polymer Aerogel Market report provides a detailed analysis of the dynamic of the market with extensive focus on secondary research. The report sheds light on the current situation of the ...
- Silica Aerogel Market: Global Industry Growth, Analysis, Research and Forecast to 2023on May 8, 2020 at 8:14 am
Silica Aerogel Market Overview Aerogels can be defined as a synthetic ultra-light material that can be sourced from the ...
- Carbon Aerogel Market: Competitive Dynamics & Global Outlook 2025on May 7, 2020 at 6:28 pm
LP INFORMATION recently released a research report on the Carbon Aerogel market analysis, which studies the Carbon Aerogel's industry coverage, current market competitive status, and market ...
- Making Aerogel, It’s Not For The Faint-Heartedon May 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Aerogel — that mixture of air and silica — is one of those materials that seems like a miracle. It is almost not there since the material is 99% air. [NileRed] wanted to make his own and he ...
- United States Aerogel Panel Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming yearson May 5, 2020 at 1:11 am
"The Aerogel Panel Market 2020 Research Report investigates the industry thoroughly and offers a complete study on Aerogel Panel volume, market Share, market Trends, Global Aerogel Panel Growth ...
- Silica Aerogel Market: CAGR of 21.5%, Global Market Size, Development Status, Industry Insights By Growth, 2023on May 3, 2020 at 11:36 pm
Global Silica Aerogel Market is segmented into form such as monolith form, blanket form, article form and panel form.
- Europe Aerogel Panel Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming yearson May 1, 2020 at 1:29 pm
This research study on the Aerogel Panel market enumerates details about this industry in terms of a detailed evaluation and also an in-depth assessment of this business. The Aerogel Panel market has ...
via Bing News