Engineer brings new twist to sodium ion battery technology with discovery of flexible molybdenum disulfide electrodes
Gurpreet Singh, assistant professor of mechanical and nuclear engineering, and his student researchers are the first to demonstrate that a composite paper — made of interleaved molybdenum disulfide and graphene nanosheets — can be both an active material to efficiently store sodium atoms and a flexible current collector. The newly developed composite paper can be used as a negative electrode in sodium-ion batteries.
“Most negative electrodes for sodium-ion batteries use materials that undergo an ‘alloying’ reaction with sodium,” Singh said. “These materials can swell as much as 400 to 500 percent as the battery is charged and discharged, which may result in mechanical damage and loss of electrical contact with the current collector.”
“Molybdenum disulfide, the major constituent of the paper electrode, offers a new kind of chemistry with sodium ions, which is a combination of intercalation and a conversion-type reaction,” Singh said. “The paper electrode offers stable charge capacity of 230 mAh.g-1, with respect to total electrode weight. Further, the interleaved and porous structure of the paper electrode offers smooth channels for sodium to diffuse in and out as the cell is charged and discharged quickly. This design also eliminates the polymeric binders and copper current collector foil used in a traditional battery electrode.”
The research appears in the latest issue of the journal ACS-NANO in the article “MoS2/graphene composite paper for sodium-ion battery electrodes.”
For the last two years the researchers have been developing new methods for quick and cost-effective synthesis of atomically thin two-dimensional materials — graphene, molybdenum and tungsten disulfide — in gram quantities, particularly for rechargeable battery applications.
For the latest research, the engineers created a large-area composite paper that consisted of acid-treated layered molybdenum disulfide and chemically modified graphene in an interleaved structured. The research marks the first time that such a flexible paper electrode was used in a sodium-ion battery as an anode that operates at room temperature. Most commercial sodium-sulfur batteries operate close to 300 degrees Celsius, Singh said.
Singh said the research is important for two reasons:
1. Synthesis of large quantities of single or few-layer-thick 2-D materials is crucial to understanding the true commercial potential of materials such as transition metal dichalcogenides, or TMD, and graphene.
2. Fundamental understanding of how sodium is stored in a layered material through mechanisms other than the conventional intercalation and alloying reaction. In addition, using graphene as the flexible support and current collector is crucial for eliminating the copper foil and making lighter and bendable rechargeable batteries. In contrast to lithium, sodium supplies are essentially unlimited and the batteries are expected to be a lot cheaper.
“From the synthesis point of view, we have shown that certain transition metal dichalcogenides can be exfoliated in strong acids,” Singh said. “This method should allow synthesis of gram quantities of few-layer-thick molybdenum disulfide sheets, which is very crucial for applications such as flexible batteries, supercapacitors, and polymer composites. For such applications, TMD flakes that are a few atoms thick are sufficient. Very high-quality single-layer flakes are not a necessity.”
The Latest on: Rechargeable battery applications
via Google News
The Latest on: Rechargeable battery applications
- Europe 26650 Rechargeable Lithium Batteries Market 2020 is Evolving Rapidly with Economic Growth, Demand, and Forthcoming Opportunitieson May 11, 2020 at 9:25 pm
"The global 26650 Rechargeable Lithium Batteries market report offers information relating to the leading regions, competitive landscape, growth trends, and other crucial information about the growth ...
- Aluminum Laminated Film Market to reach US$ 88.7 Mn globally by end of 2027, Says CMIon May 11, 2020 at 7:02 am
The global aluminum laminated film market was valued at US$ 28.9 Mn in 2019, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 15.0% over the forecast period (2020-2027), in terms of revenue. The aluminum ...
- Microsoft still working on a wirelessly rechargeable Surface Penon May 9, 2020 at 10:06 am
You’ve been able to magnetically stow your Surface Pen to your tablet for ages now, but so far to charge the accessory you still needed an AAAA battery every 6 months. This does not mean Microsoft has ...
- New simple method for measuring the state of lithium-ion batterieson May 7, 2020 at 7:57 am
Scientists at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) and the Helmholtz Institute Mainz (HIM) in Germany have presented a non-contact method for detecting the state of charge and any defects in ...
- Is dendrite-free lithium sufficient for next-generation Li metal battery technology?on May 7, 2020 at 5:42 am
Scientists revealed that eliminating the growth of the dendritic Li structure seemed not to be sufficient to propel the LMB technology from laboratory research to practical applications considering ...
- Flexible Thin Film and Printed Battery Market to Reach $11.03 Bn, Globally, By 2027 at 30.9% CAGR: Allied Market Researchon May 6, 2020 at 8:05 am
Allied Market Research published a report titled, “Flexible Thin Film and Printed Battery Market By Chargeability (Rechargeable, Non-Rechargeable) and.
- Flexible Thin Film and Printed Battery Market to Reach $11.03 Bn, Globally, By 2027 at 30.9% CAGR: Allied Market Researchon May 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
The Non-Rechargeable ... Period Based on application, the consumer electronics segment accounted for nearly one-fourth of the global flexible thin film and printed battery market share in 2019 ...
- Best head torches 2020: headlamps for running, hiking, camping and fishingon May 4, 2020 at 7:40 am
Whether you want a head torch for running or to find your way around the campsite at night, these headlamps are unbeatable ...
- Global Rechargeable Poly Lithium-Ion Battery Market 2020 Top Companies – Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, Olympus, Motorolaon May 1, 2020 at 5:19 am
Changchun, BASF, SABIC, DuBay Polymer (Lanxess, DuPont) Global Rechargeable Poly Lithium-Ion Battery Market 2020 Top Companies ...
- Rechargeable Lithium Battery Market Key Players, Shares, Types, Manufacturers, Industry Analysis, Growth, Trends, Drivers, Challenges 2020 to 2027on April 30, 2020 at 8:48 pm
A new research report titled “Global Rechargeable Lithium Battery market” successfully exhibits the complete scenario of the global and an individual analysis of the various regional segments. "Global ...
via Bing News