A new nanotechnology that doubles the life of smartphone, laptop and electric-vehicle batteries even after being charged and discharged more than 1,000 times
A new nanotechnology that doubles the life of smartphone, laptop and electric-vehicle batteries even after being charged and discharged more than 1,000 times has been developed by researchers at the University of Limerick.
The breakthrough means the research team could be tapping into a market estimated to be worth US$53.7bn by 2020.
“We have developed a new germanium nanowire-based anode that has the ability to greatly increase the capacity and lifetimes of lithium-ion batteries,” said lead researcher Dr Kevin Ryan.
The research published by the journal Nano Letters outlines the findings.
“This breakthrough is important for mobile computing and telecoms but also for the emerging electric-vehicle market, allowing for smaller and lighter batteries that can hold more charge for longer and maintain this performance over the lifetime of the product.”
Small is the next big thing
The research team has also ensured its nanotechnology solution is scalable, low-cost and low-energy, making the technology both greener and commercially viable.
The Latest on: Battery life
via Google News
The Latest on: Battery life
- Over 50 ‘criminal’ Android apps draining your phone’s battery life and performance revealedon March 24, 2020 at 8:47 am
A SET of 50 dodgy apps used by cyber crooks to hack into people's phones has been found by security buffs. Almost one million people have unintentionally downloaded the malicious software, which could ...
- Here Are 4 Phones With Really Long Battery Life That Are On Sale In India Right Nowon March 24, 2020 at 3:50 am
One of the most important things to consider these days while buying new phones is the battery life. Since smartphones are now capable of doing pretty much anything and everything you can imagine, a ...
- LG Gram 14 2-in-1 review: So much battery life, so little weighton March 23, 2020 at 4:06 am
The 2.5-pound durable convertible is ready to work all day away from an outlet.
- LG Gram 14 review: This thin, light 2-in-1 boasts exceptional battery lifeon March 23, 2020 at 3:03 am
That means we’re looking for impressive numbers from the Gram when it comes to battery life. However, cramming such a big four-cell battery into the Gram’s svelte chassis also (probably) means you’ll ...
- Powerbeats deliver balanced sound, 15-hour battery life and comfort for $149on March 19, 2020 at 11:56 am
Beats knocked it out of the park last year with Powerbeats Pro, quickly perching itself atop the crowded field of wireless earbuds.
- Best laptops with the longest battery life in 2020: Dell, Acer, Asus, HP, Lenovo, and moreon March 19, 2020 at 11:43 am
A laptop with good battery life used to be mean a skinny, under-powered notebook that sacrificed performance to squeeze every extra minute out of a charge. Obviously the more powerful a system is, the ...
- Battery life won't be a problem for AMD's Ryzen 4000 notebookson March 16, 2020 at 6:18 pm
But what hasn’t been confirmed is just how well AMD’s new Ryzen 4000 CPUs will compete on the most important number for many laptop users: battery life. It’s worth digging into, as battery life has ...
- Apple just revealed new Powerbeats wireless headphones that have super-long battery life at a much cheaper price than the Powerbeats Proon March 16, 2020 at 9:06 am
At just $150, Apple's new wireless headphones are much more affordable than the Powerbeats Pro and offer super-long battery life.
- Extend your phone’s battery life with these four easy stepson March 15, 2020 at 7:30 pm
To own a smartphone is to know the frustration of having its battery die right when you need it most—whether you’re approaching your next high score or need to call Mom. Modern-day displays and phone ...
- Does dark mode save battery life?on March 14, 2020 at 3:07 am
Question: I was told that using dark mode on my laptop and smartphone will save battery life; is this true? Answer: With all of the time we spend staring at digital displays throughout the day, it’s ...
via Bing News