Researchers from A*STAR IME conceptualized a novel strategy to efficiently harness low frequency vibrations as infinite power source for miniature electronic devices.
Battery replacement may soon be a thing of the past. Researchers from A*STAR’s Institute of Microelectronics (IME) are tapping into low frequency vibrations, the most abundant and ubiquitous energy source in the surroundings, to power small-scale electronic devices indefinitely. IME’s energy harvester has the ability to continuously convert the vibrations – across a wide frequency range in different environments – into electricity. This breakthrough presents a green, economical and sustainable long-term solution to eliminate the manual re-charging or replacement of power sources in miniature devices.
2. To use low frequency vibrations efficiently, common attempts focus on expanding the size of the device in order to attain maximum power output, which limit the applications of these energy harvesters. In addition, most reported designs can only operate at one fixed frequency, which significantly reduces the power generation efficiency in practical environments.
3. To address these design challenges, IME researchers have demonstrated an aluminium nitride (AlN) based energy harvester with record-high power density of 1.5 x 10-3 W/cm3 capable of generating electricity equivalent to three commercial implantable batteries over a 10-year period. As an inexorable power supply, the remarkable power density feature translates into massive savings as costs and logistics associated with power source servicing will no longer be relevant.
4. The energy harvester also extends the flexibility of low frequency vibrational sources that can be harvested by offering the widest sampling range of 10th – 100 Hz. The wide sampling range makes it now possible to more productively harness real-world vibrational sources in spite of their irregularity and randomness.
5. Dr Alex Gu, Technical Director of IME’s Sensors and Actuators Microsystems Programme, who conceptualized the energy harvester design, commented, “Our design strategy exploits the coupling effect between the Vortex shedding and Helmholtz resonating in order to enhance the Helmholtz resonating and lower the threshold input pressure. By transferring the low frequency input vibrational energy into a pressurised fluid, the fluid synchronizes the random input vibrations into pre-defined resonance frequencies, thus enabling the full utilization of vibrations from the complete low frequency spectrum.”
6. Professor Dim-Lee Kwong, Executive Director of IME, said, “This breakthrough presents tremendous opportunities to realise a practical, sustainable and efficient energy renewal model with attractive small-form factor, low cost solution for a wide range of applications from implantable medical devices, wireless communication and sensor networks, to other mobile electronics that enable future mobile society.”
The Latest on: Infinite power source
via Google News
The Latest on: Infinite power source
- Payments Panic And The Ending Of Fiat Currencieson March 24, 2020 at 9:12 am
The unilateral response from governments to the coronavirus is to helicopter money to people and their businesses in unlimited quantities. There was evidence th ...
- Halo Infinite release date, news and trailerson March 24, 2020 at 4:48 am
"Rest assured that every single one of us is doing everything in our power to continue developing and delivering quality ... On his podcast, industry reporter Brad Sams' claims that sources had told ...
- The Myth of Infinite Moneyon March 23, 2020 at 6:29 pm
The total supply of money in circulation is set by the Federal Reserve ... nearly every country in the modern era — would have unlimited spending power. However, the sovereign debt crises in Latin ...
- The New Gatekeepers, Equipotentiality vs. the Power Lawon March 22, 2020 at 8:08 pm
There is therefore a tension in the blogosphere, between the practice and principle of equipotentiality, which says that everyone can participate through self-selection, and the power law, which says ...
- Microsoft’s Xbox Series X won’t release this Thanksgivingon March 19, 2020 at 5:32 pm
For a moment, it seemed like Christmas was going to arrive a month early for gaming fans when Microsoft’s Xbox Series X and Halo Infinite were announced for a Thanksgiving launch ... For now, it ...
- BitMEX Report: Issuance of CBDCs May Lead to Inflationon March 19, 2020 at 5:10 pm
Though banks have the ability to create an infinite money supply in theory ... increased levels of state power” Recently, the Marshall Islands confirmed the issuance of the national digital ...
- Who Are the Characters of Marvel's INFINITE DESTINIES and How Do They Connect to the INFINITY STONES?on March 18, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Secretly Fadi Fadlalah, Amulet is a Lebanese American teenager from Michigan who has defensive force field powers derived from an unknown magical source. Amulet will be a key castmember ... Of all the ...
- Overcome fear, destroy illnesson March 18, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Illness can sometimes seem frightening or inevitable. But a willingness to see ourselves and others as God’s pure, flawless, beloved children lifts fear and brings God’s healing presence to light.
- The Myth of Taxpayer Moneyon March 17, 2020 at 9:47 pm
After all, there isn’t an infinite supply of money. Except ... worthy recipients of government assistance while the rich and powerful rig the levers of power to receive favor after favor. It all comes ...
- L-com Launches Ruggedized USB 3.0 Cable Assemblies with Die-Cast Shells and Thumbscrewson March 17, 2020 at 7:15 am
IRVINE, Calif., March 17, 2020 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- L-com, an Infinite Electronics brand and a preferred manufacturer of wired and wireless connectivity products, announced today that it has launched ...
via Bing News