Electronics are getting smaller all the time, but there’s a limit to how tiny they can get with today’s materials.
Researchers now say, however, that they have developed a way to shrink capacitors — key components that store energy — even further, which could accelerate the development of more compact, high-performance next-gen devices. The study appears in the journal ACS Nano.
Takayoshi Sasaki and colleagues point out that many recent improvements have already downsized capacitors significantly. But current technology has almost reached its limit in terms of materials and processing, which in turn limits the performance that manufacturers can achieve. In response, researchers have gone to the nanoscale, but “nanocapacitors” are not easy to make. They require harsh, difficult-to-use methods and even then, they may not work that well. So Sasaki’s team developed an easier approach, and they use it to make high-performance “ultrathin” capacitors.
The researchers found that they could use gentle techniques and mild conditions to create a sandwich consisting of layers of two different types of oxide nanosheets to produce an ultrathin capacitor. In addition, the new capacitor has a capacitance density about 2,000 times higher than that of commercially available products. They say that, in the future, the ultrathin capacitors could be used in printed circuit boards and in memory storage devices, for example.
The Latest on: Ultrathin capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Ultrathin capacitors
- UW’s Leonard Receives NSF Grant for Materials Science Researchon September 17, 2019 at 10:38 am
Leonard will study intercalation, or insertion chemistry, that can be critical for future technological applications, such as batteries, smart windows and ultra-thin electronic components such as ...
- Top USA and International Capacitor Manufacturers and Supplierson August 7, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Capacitors are passive electronic devices which perform a ... Paper Battery Company, or PBC Tech, manufacturers ultrathin supercapacitors as replacements for lithium batteries. It offers ultrathin ...
- Highly flexible, foldable, and rollable microsupercapacitors on an ultrathin polyimide substrate with high power densityon July 29, 2018 at 5:00 pm
The design and functionality of extremely flexible, foldable, and rollable microsupercapacitors (MSCs) with in-plane interdigital electrodes that consist of single-walled carbon nanotube (SWCNT) ...
- CDE THA Thinpack Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors | Tech Specson January 10, 2018 at 10:32 am
which adds a stainless steel sleeve that pushes that to 3000 hours at 105°C and a still-ultra-thin 9 mm profile. The high energy density and low profile make CDE’s THA series capacitors ideal for many ...
- Ferroelectric phenomenon proven viable for oxide electrodes, disproving predictionson August 1, 2017 at 9:27 am
These closed-loop domains have garnered attention among researchers studying new ferroelectric devices, ranging from data storage components and spintronic tunnel junctions to ultra-thin capacitors.
- Global Paper and Plastic Film Capacitors Industryon December 8, 2016 at 4:39 pm
RECENT INDUSTRY ACTIVITY.....II-40 Treofan Receives Trophy for "PHD 1.9" Ultra-Thin Capacitor Film II-40 Borealis ... Energy Products Market Benefiting Demand for Paper and Plastic Film Capacitors....
- Oxide nanosheets trump current state-of-the art capacitor materialson March 18, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Schematic illustration (left) and cross-sectional high-resolution TEM image (right) of the all-nanosheet ultrathin capacitor. Many recent improvements have already downsized capacitors significantly.
- Advance in energy storage could speed up development of next-gen electronicson February 19, 2014 at 8:41 am
So Sasaki's team developed an easier approach, and they use it to make high-performance "ultrathin" capacitors. The researchers found that they could use gentle techniques and mild conditions to ...
- Advance in energy storage could speed up development of next-gen electronicson February 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm
the ultrathin capacitors could be used in printed circuit boards and in memory storage devices, for example. American Chemical Society. (2014, February 19). Advance in energy storage could speed up ...
via Bing News