Positioning technology developed at KTH will save lives and protect emergency responders in hazardous environments.
Fire, smoke and zero visibility – a firefighter’s working environment is extreme. Now, with sensor-equipped footwear developed at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, firefighters can be even more effective at saving lives and property.
An innovative digital positioning system that uses sensors inside the heel of a boot makes it possible for emergency commanders to follow firefighters’ movements independently of infrastructure, and even 25 metres below ground.
Behind the project are Peter Händel, Professor of Signal Processing, John-Olof Nilsson, a researcher at KTH, and Jouni Ranta Kokko, a KTH researcher and research leader at the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI).
The system they designed includes advanced sensors such as accelerometer and gyroscope, plus a processor. It can withstand shock and extremely high temperatures and remains operational where GPS positioning systems fail.
A wireless module worn on the shoulder sends the data to operational command. The precise information about responders’ location and movements enables emergency coordinators to control operations remotely and ensure that the firefighters remain effective and safe under extremely dangerous conditions.
“When the firefighters can work safer and more efficiently, they can also save more lives,” says Peter Händel, Professor of Signal Processing at KTH, one of those who worked on the development of the sensor shoe.
The system has been tested successfully with firefighters in real time, 25 metres below ground.
The positioning capability can also be used by others – such as police and military response forces, or medical services at major incidents. Even rescue work far below the ground, as in mines, can be facilitated by being able to position both workers and rescue teams without the need for extensive infrastructure.
The next step for the researchers is to make the sensors part of the sole, which would increase flexibility and open up more uses than when built into the heel. The idea is also that the sole will also generate its own power supply. The aim is also that the sole can be thin enough for use in ordinary shoes.
The Latest on: Digital positioning system
via Google News
The Latest on: Digital positioning system
- Bank on steroids: Once lanky UnionBank builds up digital muscleson November 14, 2019 at 1:51 pm
SINGAPORE—IT’S sort of a “coming out” party for Aboitiz-led Union Bank of the Philippines, says president Edwin Bautista, describing the Philippine bank’s prominent positioning this year at the ...
- Mobile Mapping System Market Emerging Trends and Future Opportunities Till 2022on November 13, 2019 at 4:00 am
It facilitates the creation ofaccurate 3D model or digital maps of the roads, buildings and the moving objects to enhance the mobile positioning and communication technology. The dynamic data ...
- Former Fed Chair Alan Greenspan says there's 'no point' for central banks to pivot to digital currencyon November 12, 2019 at 6:20 am
Greenspan also criticized Facebook's Libra project, noting the digital coin won't have the dollar's key support from sovereign credit.
- SFAS Framework Analysis on Europe's Top 5 Armored Vehicle Manufacturers: BAE Systems, GDELS, Rheinmetall, KNDS & Iveco Defense Vehicles (2019-2020)on November 12, 2019 at 4:59 am
Dublin, Nov. 12, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Europe's Top 5 Armored Vehicle Manufacturers (BAE Systems, GDELS, Rheinmetall ... on each of Europe's Top 5 Armored Vehicle Manufacturers based on an ...
- Digital Farming Market Size: Astonishing Growth,Future Scope,Major Keys: Vodafone Group PLC, Trimble Navigation Ltd and Cisco Systems Incon November 12, 2019 at 3:40 am
Among these segments, hardware segment is likely to be the dominating segment during the forecast period. Digital faming involves a number of hardware components including GPS (global positioning ...
- Companies are positioning for growth as the global healthcare sector continues to digitiseon November 10, 2019 at 7:58 pm
Healthcare is another sector where organisations are moving to leverage data insights, with companies such as the ASX-listed Alcidion (ASX:ALC) positioning for growth in the sector ... strategic ...
- Global Digital Transformation Industry Study, 2019: An Evaluation of Key Technologies, Opportunities, Companies, Strategies & Solutionson November 7, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Thiswill have a profound effect on both overall strategic positioning andday to day tactical operations. New technologies and tools being rapidlyintegrated into production and service systems ...
- 32 rev cycle and IT directors on the investment health systems must make to stay competitiveon November 7, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Accessibility is the linchpin to a consumer-oriented healthcare system. Hospitals that can give patients whole access through a digital journey are positioning themselves to leapfrog their competition ...
- Bentley Systems and Topcon Positioning Systems Launch Their Digital Construction Works Joint Venture, to Close the Constructioneering Advancement Gapon October 23, 2019 at 1:39 am
jointly owned company Bentley Systems, the leading global provider of comprehensive software and digital twin cloud services for advancing the design, construction, and operations of infrastructure, ...
- Bentley Systems, Topcon launch Digital Construction Works ventureon October 21, 2019 at 4:18 pm
Bentley Systems and Topcon Positioning Systems have announced their new, jointly owned company — Digital Construction Works — is open for business. Bentley is a global provider of comprehensive ...
via Bing News