Google has said it is testing a “smart contact lens” that can help measure glucose levels in tears.
It uses a “tiny” wireless chip and a “miniaturised” glucose sensor embedded between two layers of lens material.
The firm said it is also working on integrating tiny LED lights that could light up to indicate that glucose levels have crossed certain thresholds.
But it added that “a lot more work” needed to be done to get the technology ready for everyday use.
“It’s still early days for this technology, but we’ve completed multiple clinical research studies which are helping to refine our prototype,” the firm said in a blogpost.
“We hope this could someday lead to a new way for people with diabetes to manage their disease.”
Many global firms have been looking to expand in the wearable technology sector – seen by many as a key growth area in the coming years.
Various estimates have said the sector is expected to grow by between $10bn and $50bn (£6bn and £31bn) in the next five years.
Within the sector, many firms have been looking specifically at technology targeted at healthcare.
Google’s latest foray with the smart contact lens is aimed at a sector where consumer demand for such devices is expected to grow.
According to the International Diabetes Federation, one in ten people across the world’s population are forecast to have diabetes by 2035.
People suffering from the condition need to monitor their glucose levels regularly as sudden spikes or drops are dangerous. At present, the majority of them do so by testing drops of blood.
Google said it was testing a prototype of the lens that could “generate a reading once per second”.
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
- The Moment Cyber Monday sale gets you up to 40% off smartphone camera gear, moreon December 2, 2019 at 10:44 am
When it comes to turning your smartphone into a photography and videography powerhouse, many people turn to Moment. With its Photo Cases and snap-on lenses, Moment has made a name for itself as the go ...
- Newlyweds ditch professional photographer for smartphone picson December 2, 2019 at 9:59 am
Weldon, dubbed ‘the coolest wedding photographer in the world’, was challenged by technology company Huawei, to create wedding-ready images which showed the real story of the couple’s day using only a ...
- The Best Smartphone and Smartwatch Deals for Cyber Mondayon December 1, 2019 at 10:30 pm
Its downsides are the camera, which is versatile with three lenses but only produces adequate photos ... Here are our top choices for accessories to compliment your smartphone. Check out our favorite ...
- Best Black Friday smartphone deals under $400: iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and moreon November 30, 2019 at 5:03 am
The best bargain Android smartphone of the year sets a new bar for photography outside of expensive ... One of the most innovative phones of the year, the Nokia 9 PureView can use all five lenses on ...
- Olloclip’s latest clip system brings mobile lenses to the iPhone 11on November 29, 2019 at 4:00 pm
has announced a new clip system that brings some of the company’s new and existing mobile lenses to the iPhone 11 and Galaxy S10 lines of smartphones. The new system can be used with or without a ...
- Best Black Friday 2019 smartphone deals under $200on November 29, 2019 at 1:17 pm
The LG Stylo 5 smartphone is perfect for those looking for a budget-friendly option while still ... Then there’s the Sony Xperia 10, which has a pair of 13-megapixel and 5-megapixel lenses, the latter ...
- Smartphone lenses that will improve your mobile photographyon November 27, 2019 at 1:00 pm
The complete smartphone photography kit. Compatible with iPhone, Pixel, and Samsung Galaxy phones. If you don’t feel like shelling out a cool grand or more for the new iPhone 11 and its (admittedly ...
- Use this offer code to get 15 percent off this 3-lens smartphone camera attachmenton November 27, 2019 at 6:07 am
We all love high-end camera gear, but our smartphone camera is more than adequate for quick shots like selfies and lunches. However, there are some shots that require a little bit more oomph than your ...
- Samsung Suddenly Exposes Radical New Galaxy Smartphone [Updated]on November 26, 2019 at 5:19 pm
And now Samsung confirmed its new smartphone for the first time. Samsung Galaxy S11 concept Picked up by the ... The primary camera is understood to be 108MP with 5X optical zoom, capable of 8K video ...
- ClixPro smartphone camera lens kit with macro and super wide angleon November 25, 2019 at 4:59 am
Smartphone photographers wishing to upgrade their Smartphone camera lens to offer both macro and wide-angle, may be interested in the new accessory called the ClixPro. Launched via Kickstarter the ...
via Bing News