New metallic structure may be stable at ambient temperature and pressure with potential applications in science and technology
A theoretical, three-dimensional (3D) form of carbon that is metallic under ambient temperature and pressure has been discovered by an international research team.
The findings, which may significantly advance carbon science, are published online in the Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Carbon science is a field of intense research. Not only does carbon form the chemical basis of life, but it has rich chemistry and physics, making it a target of interest to material scientists. From graphite to diamond to Buckminster fullerenes, nanotubes and graphene, carbon can display in a range of structures.
But the search for a stable three-dimensional form of carbon that is metallic under ambient conditions, including temperature and pressure, has remained an ongoing challenge for scientists in the field.
Researchers from Peking University, Virginia Commonwealth University and Shanghai Institute of Technical Physics employed state-of-the-art theoretical methods to show that it is possible to manipulate carbon to form a three-dimensional metallic phase with interlocking hexagons.
“The interlocking of hexagons provides two unique features – hexagonal arrangement introduces metallic character, and the interlocking form with tetrahedral bonding guarantees stability,” said co-lead investigator Puru Jena, Ph.D., distinguished professor of physics in the VCU College of Humanities and Sciences.
The right combination of these properties could one day be applied to a variety of technologies.
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
via Google News
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
- Draw 3-dimensional structures for compounds.on August 17, 2019 at 2:24 pm
The hybridization of the central atom in a compound indicates the geometry of the atoms around the central atom. When carbon has formed only a single bond with other carbon, it is attached to four ...
- Ring-shaped multi-carbon compound cyclocarbon synthesizedon August 16, 2019 at 9:12 am
Cyclocarbon structure model. Credit: IBM Research Cyclocarbon. Bottom: artistic 3-dimensional representation of AFM data (at increased tipsample distance); top: molecular structure model.
- For a BCC iron-carbon alloy that contains 0.1 wt% C, calculate the fraction of unit cells that...on August 13, 2019 at 2:03 pm
calculate the fraction of unit cells that contain carbon atoms. The atoms in a salt, metal, or mineral crystal are arranged in an ordered 3-dimensional lattice or grid. There are many types of crystal ...
- At 38.7% CAGR, Graphene Oxide Market Size Poised to Touch USD 45 Million by 2024on May 8, 2019 at 10:41 pm
While graphite is a 3 dimensional carbon based material made up of millions of layers of graphene, graphite oxide is a little different. By the oxidation of graphite using strong oxidizing agents, ...
- RUDN chemists made an electrode for hydrogen fuel production out of Chinese flouron November 19, 2018 at 7:10 am
"A simple synthetic protocol could yield 44% of a high surface area porous carbon with a 3-dimensional porous structure. The activity of the material in electrocatalysis is better than that of most ...
- Brain function partly replicated by nanomaterialson July 12, 2018 at 8:27 am
POM consists of metal atoms and oxygen atoms to form a 3-dimensional framework ... Brain function partly replicated by nanomaterials: Molecular/carbon nanotube network devices enable artificial ...
- Carbon Readiness for the FDA Guidance on Additive Manufacturingon March 21, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Carbon is a developer of resins that can be incorporated ... At its heart, there is a digital representation of a 3-dimensional object, software used to drive the printing process, and the potential ...
- weaving carbon fiber pavilion designed by uni. of tokyo's T_ADs teamon August 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm
the ‘weaving carbon fiber pavilion’. the piece is composed of carbon fiber rods, a stretchable membrane, and stainless steel rods. by combining the two light-weight materials — steel is only used as ...
- Introducing the Incredible Linde Werdelin Oktopus Double Date Carbon-Greenon January 15, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Right off the bat, I took notice of the robust 3DTP™ (3-Dimensional Thin Ply) carbon case. As most of us may, or may not, know, carbon is extraordinarily difficult to sculpt into a complex form. Linde ...
- Industrially benign super-compressible piezoresistive carbon foams with predefined wetting properties: from environmental to electrical applicationson November 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Recently, 3-dimensional mechanically flexible structures - a novel family of porous carbon materials - synthesized from carbon nanotubes 6, graphene 7, graphene oxide 8 and their composites 9,10 have ...
via Bing News