Human interaction with robots is about to get a little more personal. Meet the face of tomorrow’s interactive technology.
An increasingly important – and sometimes frustrating – part of daily life is dealing with so-called “user interfaces”. Whether it’s a smartphone or an airport check-in system, the user’s ability to get what they want out of the machine relies on their own adaptability to unfamiliar interfaces.
But what if you could simply talk to a machine the way you talk to a human being? And what if the machine could also ask you questions, or even address two different people at once?
These kinds of interactive abilities are being developed at KTH Royal Institute of Technology with the help of an award-winning robotic head that takes its name from the fur hat it wears.
With a computer-generated, animated face that is rear-projected on a 3D mask, Furhat is actually a platform for testing various interactive technologies, such as speech synthesis, speech recognition and eye-tracking. The robot can conduct conversations with multiple people, turning its head and looking each person straight in the eye, while moving its animated lips in synch with its words.
Samer Al Moubayed, one of the KTH researchers behind the development of Furhat, says the project represents the third generation of spoken dialogue systems that has been in development at KTH’s Department for Speech, Music and Hearing during the last 15 years.
Interest in the robot extends far beyond its home at KTH’s Stockholm campus. Furhat won an outstanding demonstration award at the ICMI conference in Los Angeles in 2012, and has been featured at robotics conventions in the U.K., France and Portugal. In addition, Al Moubayed received the Christian Benoit Award, a cash prize of EUR 7,500 awarded to promote promising research in the field of speech communication. Furhat also was named runner up for the international Robotdalen Innovation Award in 2013.
The Furhat team aims to develop its technology for commercial use, with the help of funding from Sweden’s Vinnova, a government agency that supports innovation projects.The team behind the development of Furhat also includes: Jonas Beskow, Joakim Gustafson, and Gabriel Skantze.
“Furhat is becoming a popular research platform for scientists around the world who study human interaction with machines,” Al Moubayed says. “It’s very simple, it’s potentially very cheap to make, and people want to use it in their own research areas.”
Furhat also has attracted attention from researchers at Microsoft and Disney. “They have been following the development of Furhat for a long time,” says Al Moubayed, who returned last week from a two-week visit to the U.S., where he presented the hardware and software behind Furhat at Microsoft’s and Disney’s research labs.
Al Moubayed says that Furhat has potential as an interactive user interface for a variety of applications. In schools, it could be used to conduct knowledge games with children. In assisted living centres, it could share information and chat with people.
Perched on a stand atop a bureau in Al Moubayed’s office, Furhat greets a visitor and asks their name. It then addresses Al Moubayed, and after a couple more questions, asks if the visitor has any questions for Furhat. During a pause in the exchange, the robot offers to tell a joke.
Part of what sets Furhat apart from other interactive robots is its ability to make not only conversation, but eye contact – an important element of communication.
The Latest on: Social robot
- 'Clive' the fruit-picking robot gets to work in Goulburn Valley to cover seasonal worker gapon November 27, 2020 at 12:57 pm
In what is believed to be an Australian first, a robot fruit picker will work on two Goulburn Valley properties to see if it is a commercially viable alternative to human labour.
- UCF Investigates Artificial Intelligence to Help Children Teach Coding to Classmates While Learning Social Skillson November 27, 2020 at 8:33 am
UCF Investigates Artificial Intelligence to Help Children Teach Coding to Classmates While Learning Social Skills | Read more about UCF Colleges & Campus News, Community, Research, Orlando and Central ...
- Black Friday deals on laptops, watches, robot vacuum cleaners and more that you won't want to misson November 27, 2020 at 8:09 am
Black Friday is here and some of the best savings of the year are now available. Start your holiday shopping early and save with these special offers from Amazon. 1. HUAWEI Watch Fit - Smartwatch, ...
- Shhh… Robot Vacuum Lidar Is Listeningon November 27, 2020 at 1:07 am
There are millions of IoT devices out there in the wild and though not conventional computers, they can be hacked by alternative methods. From firmware hacks to social engineering, there are tons ...
- Hyundai Wants to Buy the Robot Dog So It Can Make Its Cars Look Like Thison November 26, 2020 at 8:39 am
According to a Bloomberg report, Softbank is reportedly looking to sell Boston Dynamics to Hyundai for $1 billion. We're speculating that this has something to do with the South Korean automaker's ...
- Arizona Cardinals use Zoom, robots to give back to community at Thanksgiving timeon November 25, 2020 at 5:33 pm
The team purchased two robots, inspired by similar ones at the Phoenix Children's Hospital, so that players can still interact with kids at events.
- Social Robots Market will Showcase Neutral Impact during 2020-2024 |Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast | Research Report by Technavioon November 25, 2020 at 10:05 am
Technavio has been monitoring the social robots market and it is poised to grow by USD 878.71 million during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 13% during the forecast period. The report offers ...
- 3 Questions: Christine Walley on the evolving perception of robots in the USon November 23, 2020 at 11:33 am
MIT professor of anthropology Christine Walley describes a research brief about how robots have often been a symbol for anxiety about AI and automation.
- Can We Make Our Robots Less Biased Than We Are?on November 23, 2020 at 11:01 am
Bomb squad” robots are marketed as tools for safely disposing of bombs, not for delivering them to targets. (In 2018, police officers in Dixmont, Maine, ended a shootout in a similar manner.). Their ...
- Spotted: Amazon robot maps sidewalks north of Seattle, laden with cameras and sensorson November 21, 2020 at 5:12 pm
While I was out on an ordinary drive through Everett Saturday morning I spotted something interesting: An unmarked six-wheeled robot being driven down the sidewalk on ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Interactive robots
- Can we make our robots less biased than we are?on November 27, 2020 at 11:00 am
Dallas Police Chief David Brown called the decision sound. Before the robot attacked, Johnson had shot five officers dead, wounded nine others and hit two civilians, and ...
- Reimagine What It Means to 'Play Smart' With ClicBot, the Most Advanced STEAM Robot Ever Brought to Lifeon November 27, 2020 at 6:41 am
KEYi Tech, an innovative robotics company with expertise in designing and developing STEAM educational robots, today introduced ClicBot, an innovative, intelligent STEAM ...
- Toys Holiday Gift Guide 2020: Retro gaming, robots, and bustin'ghostson November 26, 2020 at 9:36 am
Looking for the perfect toy for your kids, friend's kids, or just looking to pick up some collectibles for yourself? We've got you covered with a list of toys that should make a child of any age smile ...
- Robots taking jobs, but creating careerson November 26, 2020 at 8:52 am
The good news is, whatever they end up doing is likely to be more fulfilling than the mundane, repetitive tasks that the robots have taken over from them. The bad news is there will be a period when ...
- Co-op extends robot delivery to Northampton as it expands onlineon November 25, 2020 at 4:00 am
Co-op continues to expand its autonomous robot deliveries, rolling out a fleet of Starship Technology droids on the streets of Northampton today. The move comes as the retailer ramps up its online and ...
- Global Exoskeleton Wearable Robot Market 2020 Sales Channels, Technology and Production Analysis, Business Growth by 2025on November 24, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Global Exoskeleton Wearable Robot Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 reveals the overview of the global industry, encompassing the latest industry data and ...
- Global Exoskeleton Robots in Medical Market 2020 Future Estimations with Top Key Players, Production Development and Opportunities to 2025on November 24, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Global Exoskeleton Robots in Medical Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 offers a clear view of the current proceeding within the market. The report analyzes ...
- Starship and Co-op bring robot deliveries to second UK townon November 24, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Grocery delivery robots are rolling out on the streets of Northampton today, as Co-op brings its partnership with Starship Technologies to a second UK town. The service will serve customers within a ...
- Disney Unveils New Lifelike Animatronic Robots with a Human-Like Gazeon November 23, 2020 at 10:53 am
Keep an eye out for Disney’s new impressive yet eerie robots. Disney has created new humanoid robots to be implemented at its parks. (Image courtesy of Disney Research.) Disney, the leader of ...
- RICK AND MORTY’S “Pass the Butter” Robot Can Now Be Yourson November 19, 2020 at 7:53 am
Rick and Morty's "Pass the Butter" robot can now be yours, with an official working replica that isn't actually sentient, but will act like it is.
via Bing News