The immediacy and fast pace of the Internet can be magical.
But when someone makes a comment that the masses disagree with, a mob with 140-character pitchforks can develop in seconds and the Internet can become terrifyingly bellicose.
We saw this happen late-last week when Justine Sacco, now the former communications director for InterActiveCorp, better known as I.A.C., tweeted: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” before boarding a flight to Africa from London.
The response on social media came quickly. And the speed with which it turned ugly was even scarier.
At first the discussion around her tweet was relatively trivial, with people wondering if Ms. Sacco’s account had been hacked. Yet as soon as it was clear that she had made similar comments in the past, the Internet turned into a voracious and vengeful mob. Ms. Sacco was tried and judged guilty in a public square of millions and soon attacked in a way that seemed worse than her original statement.
Within hours, people threatened to rape, shoot, kill and torture her. The mob found her Facebook and Instagram accounts and began threatening the same perils on photos she had posted of friends and family. Not satisfied, people began threatening her family directly. The incident was a trending topic on Twitter and a huge forum thread on Reddit.
This all happened while Ms. Sacco was on a 12-hour flight without Wi-Fi to Africa. When she landed, it was game over. She deleted her entire social footprint online, including her Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and was fired from her job, effective 12 hours earlier.
“This default to hate, this automatic mockery and derision, needs to be viewed with the same hatred as Sacco’s tweet,” wrote Tauriq Moosa, a tutor in ethics, bioethics and critical thinking at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. “Indeed, more so, since more people do it, no one is arbiter of said hate, and it’s constant, wide-ranging and terrifying if you’re the target.”
The Latest on: Internet mob
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet mob
- Outrage Mob Claims Popular NYT Food Writer as Latest Victimon May 27, 2020 at 8:08 am
Popular chef and food writer Alison Roman is now jobless after comments she made about media personality Chrissy Teigen and lifestyle guru Marie Kondo made her the target of the social media outrage ...
- What else? Woke mob wants more blood after ‘Ultimate Karen’ fired for calling police on black manon May 26, 2020 at 3:18 pm
After a viral video showed Amy Cooper mistreating her pet and threatening to call the cops on an African American man and saying he was threatening her life, she has been fired — but that’s not enough ...
- Trolls who whipped up lockdown frustrations are to blame for anti-Dominic Cummings mobon May 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
I became a national hate figure. Now I know that sounds dramatic, but depressingly, it’s pretty accurate. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates An opinion I ...
- The Best Shaming Happens in Privateon May 26, 2020 at 11:19 am
Internet mobs go after those who break social-distancing rules, but society has a better way to enforce norms.
- MTK Global attempt to clarify relationship with mob boss Daniel Kinahanon May 23, 2020 at 8:00 am
Boxing power-player MTK Global is forced to respond after Bob Arum claims mob boss Daniel Kinahan is an ‘advisor’ for the company.
- Minecraft Dungeons guide: List of monsters, mobs, enemies, and bosseson May 20, 2020 at 11:50 am
Minecraft Dungeons has an ecosystem of bloodthirsty baddies just waiting for their chance to destroy you, as well as some much more helpful mobs. Here's everything you need to know about all the mobs ...
- Chrissy Teigen can't dodge responsibility for getting Alison Roman canceledon May 20, 2020 at 11:33 am
The first time I ever heard of Alison Roman, it was because approximately half of the internet decided to direct their quarantine-fueled rage toward her for two slightly bitter-sounding remarks in an ...
- The Mafia Cashes In On COVID Fears With Fake Black-Market Testson May 20, 2020 at 5:18 am
As people try to emerge from the pandemic lockdown, antibody tests are crucial, and the Mafia says it can help you. But what the mob really wants is your contact tracing data.
- Cancel culture is a racket! Woman sics SJWs on innocent TikTok star, then brags about donationson May 20, 2020 at 4:50 am
A viral TikTok star is enduring nonstop vitriolic abuse as ‘social justice’ warriors prove that their movement is about everything but social justice. It’s merely a facade for fauxgressive bad actors ...
- 5th Combat Communications Group keeps warfighters connected during pandemicon May 19, 2020 at 9:07 am
Composed of three units – 5th Combat Communications Support Squadron, the 52nd Combat Communications Squadron and the 51st Combat Communications Squadron – the group has worked tirelessly to make sure ...
via Bing News