Cubli cubic robot uses flywheels to move around
Back in October, we heard about MIT‘s M-Blocks – they’re metal cubes that use internal flywheels to hurl themselves around, sticking together magnetically to form simple structures. Now, scientists from ETH Zurich have unveiled something similar. Their Cubli cubic robot also uses flywheels to move around, plus it can actually balance on one corner.
The robot measures 15 cm (5.9 in) per side and contains three “momentum wheels,” each one powered by its own brushless motor, and each located on a different face of the cube. It also incorporates inertial sensors, motor controllers, batteries and a microprocessor.
The inertial sensors allow the processor to gauge the tilt and angular velocity of the cube. In the case of the corner-balancing stunt, it then activates the wheels, using their combined and constantly-modulated torque to hold it in place. It can even maintain its balance when pushed or when its balancing surface is tilted, plus it can rotate on the spot or balance on one edge.
Additionally, as with the M-Blocks, it can move by running one or more of its wheels at high speed, then suddenly braking to transfer momentum from the wheel to the cube itself. This feature took some finessing, as the mechanical stress resulting from the sudden braking originally caused both the wheel and the Cubli’s metal frame to deform. Replacing the “metal barrier”-type brake with a modified bicycle brake fixed the problem.
The Latest on: Momentum wheels
via Google News
The Latest on: Momentum wheels
- Nissan eyes speedy momentum in India with new Magnite compact SUVon November 20, 2020 at 5:42 am
The carmaker would need to instil confidence about its long-term plans in the country for people to give the Magnite the second look it rightfully deserves.
- Steering Wheel Switches Market statistics and research analysis released in latest reporton November 18, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Global Market Insights, Inc :How will the growth of heavy commercial vehicles segment foster the business dynamics of the global steering wheel switches market by 2025? Highly channelized by the ...
- REE finds partner to develop chassis & wheel solution for its EV platformon November 17, 2020 at 6:15 am
After partnering with major automotive manufacturer Mahindra, the Israeli EV startup keeps the momentum by teaming up with a Brazilian automotive component manufacturing giant to develop its modular ...
- Don’t Lose Momentum: the Election May be Over, but the Work of Democracy Continueson November 15, 2020 at 4:54 pm
This past weekend marked the beginning of the end of what may be the one of the most controversial presidencies in history. Seeing ...
- New Volvo V90 D5 Momentum reviewon November 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
It'll likely be quite a bit more expensive to buy, though. We tested the V90 D5 in Momentum trim, running on 18-inch wheels. They look just as neat at the larger alloys, but compliment the V90's ...
- WATCH: Barkevious Mingo shows off his wheels on fake punton November 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Barkevious Mingo, a former first-round pick out of LSU, provided that for Chicago. The outside linebacker got his first career carry on a fake punt and took it 11 yards for a first down. Here’s a look ...
- '4-wheel vehicle' needed to sustain economic recoveryon November 8, 2020 at 7:36 am
A "four-wheel drive" vehicle is needed to sustain the economic recovery, a local business leader said.Frank Carbon, chief executive ...
- Richard Carapaz takes 10 seconds and upward momentum into rest day of Vuelta a Españaon November 1, 2020 at 10:38 am
From there on, Carapaz was flying solo as Robert Gesink, Jonas Vingegaard, and finally Sepp Kuss loaned their wheel to Roglič on the Angliru summit finish. “This [Angliru] climb made a natural ...
- New Sacramento Ferris wheel becomes placeholder for holiday traditions amid pandemicon October 29, 2020 at 7:26 am
Ferris wheel operators sanitize each pod in between ... and we will regain the momentum for downtown and Old Sacramento sooner rather than later," said Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg.
- 2022 Genesis GV70 is a Curvy Compact SUVon October 27, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Genesis is keeping momentum going with our first official ... This one gets an even more aggressive front bumper treatment, unique 21-inch wheels, and a different rear bumper with large, circular ...
via Bing News