Cubli cubic robot uses flywheels to move around
Back in October, we heard about MIT‘s M-Blocks – they’re metal cubes that use internal flywheels to hurl themselves around, sticking together magnetically to form simple structures. Now, scientists from ETH Zurich have unveiled something similar. Their Cubli cubic robot also uses flywheels to move around, plus it can actually balance on one corner.
The robot measures 15 cm (5.9 in) per side and contains three “momentum wheels,” each one powered by its own brushless motor, and each located on a different face of the cube. It also incorporates inertial sensors, motor controllers, batteries and a microprocessor.
The inertial sensors allow the processor to gauge the tilt and angular velocity of the cube. In the case of the corner-balancing stunt, it then activates the wheels, using their combined and constantly-modulated torque to hold it in place. It can even maintain its balance when pushed or when its balancing surface is tilted, plus it can rotate on the spot or balance on one edge.
Additionally, as with the M-Blocks, it can move by running one or more of its wheels at high speed, then suddenly braking to transfer momentum from the wheel to the cube itself. This feature took some finessing, as the mechanical stress resulting from the sudden braking originally caused both the wheel and the Cubli’s metal frame to deform. Replacing the “metal barrier”-type brake with a modified bicycle brake fixed the problem.
The Latest on: Momentum wheels
via Google News
The Latest on: Momentum wheels
- Quick Drive: 2020 Volvo V60 Polestaron November 13, 2020 at 6:41 am
Unlike most performance wagons that grab a bullhorn and shout for attention, the V60 Polestar goes for a more sedate approach. From afar, it looks like your standard V60. Get closer and you begin to ...
- Deutsche Telekom AG (DTEGF) CEO Timotheus Höttges on Q3 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton November 13, 2020 at 4:55 am
DTEGF) Q3 2020 Earnings Conference Call November 12, 2020, 08:00 AM ET Company Participants Hannes Wittig - Head, Investor Relations Timotheus Höttges - Chief Executive Officer Christian Illek - Chief ...
- WATCH: Barkevious Mingo shows off his wheels on fake punton November 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Barkevious Mingo, a former first-round pick out of LSU, provided that for Chicago. The outside linebacker got his first career carry on a fake punt and took it 11 yards for a first down. Here’s a look ...
- '4-wheel vehicle' needed to sustain economic recoveryon November 8, 2020 at 7:36 am
A "four-wheel drive" vehicle is needed to sustain the economic recovery, a local business leader said.Frank Carbon, chief executive ...
- Mattel CEO: Barbie, Hot Wheels, 'are resonating' with consumers during pandemicon November 6, 2020 at 7:50 am
Mattel (MAT) CEO Ynon Kreiz has brought stability — and importantly for investors, profitability — to a toymaker that was struggling for direction before his arrival in April 2018. Kreiz — who has an ...
- 2021 Grand Design Momentum 381on November 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Grand Design Momentum 381 Fifth Wheel #23003340 with 1 photos and 1 videos for sale in Tucson, Arizona 85714. See this unit and thousands more at RVUSA.com. Updated Daily.
- Richard Carapaz takes 10 seconds and upward momentum into rest day of Vuelta a Españaon November 1, 2020 at 11:28 am
The Ineos Grenadiers leader is likely to lose his red jersey to Primož Roglič in the time trial Tuesday, but now takes the mental advantage after seeing his rival falter on the Angliru.
- 2022 Cadillac Blackwing Models Will Use New Magnesium Wheelson October 30, 2020 at 8:45 pm
Several months to go before the arrival of the much-awaited Blackwing models. By now, you should have heard that Blackwing models are coming. Both the Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V sedans are getting the ...
- New Sacramento Ferris wheel becomes placeholder for holiday traditions amid pandemicon October 29, 2020 at 7:26 am
Ferris wheel operators sanitize each pod in between ... and we will regain the momentum for downtown and Old Sacramento sooner rather than later," said Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg.
- Mary McAleese backs church's 'same-sex' rights moveon October 27, 2020 at 1:05 am
Speaking with Mary Kennedy, Ms McAleese said she feels the "wheels of a momentum growing" within the church. "I think that there is a momentum growing now. I feel the wheels of a momentum growing.
via Bing News