“The stem cells were unable to self-renew, which resulted in long-term and irreversible impairment of tumour growth. In other words, the cancer was permanently shut down.”
Scientists and surgeons at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre have discovered a promising new approach to treating colorectal cancer by disarming the gene that drives self-renewal in stem cells that are the root cause of disease, resistance to treatment and relapse. Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related death in the Western world.
“This is the first step toward clinically applying the principles of cancer stem cell biology to control cancer growth and advance the development of durable cures,” says principal investigator Dr. John Dick about the findings published online today in Nature Medicine.
He talks about the research in this video.
Dr. Dick pioneered the cancer stem cell field by first identifying leukemia stem cells (1994) and colon cancer stem cells (2007). He is also renowned for isolating a human blood stem cell in its purest form – as a single stem cell capable of regenerating the entire blood system – paving the way for clinical use (2011). Dr. Dick holds a Canada Research Chair in Stem Cell Biology and is a Senior Scientist at University Health Network’s Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine. He is also a Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, and Director of the Cancer Stem Cell Program at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research.
In pre-clinical experiments, the research team replicated human colon cancer in mice to determine if specifically targeting the stem cells was clinically relevant. First, the researchers identified that the gene BMI-1, already implicated in maintaining stem cells in other cancers, is the pivotal regulator of colon cancer stem cells and drives the cycle of self-renewal, proliferation and cell survival. Next, the team used an existing small-molecule inhibitor to successfully block BMI-1, thus demonstrating the clinical relevance of this approach.
Lead author Dr. Antonija Kreso writes: “Inhibiting a recognized regulator of self-renewal is an effective approach to control tumor growth, providing strong evidence for the clinical relevance of self-renewal as a biological process for therapeutic targeting.”
Dr. Dick explains: “When we blocked the BMI-1 pathway, the stem cells were unable to self-renew, which resulted in long-term and irreversible impairment of tumour growth. In other words, the cancer was permanently shut down.”
The Latest Google Headlines on: Colon cancer
The Latest Bing News on: Colon cancer
- Syntenin-1 promotes colorectal cancer stem cell expansion and chemoresistance by regulating prostaglandin E2 receptoron June 28, 2020 at 3:07 pm
The protein syntenin-1 is expressed by a variety of cell types, and is upregulated in various malignancies, including melanoma, breast cancer and glioma. Although the mechanism by which elevated ...
- Early-onset colorectal cancer study in young adult men reveals 'hotspots' of death in USon June 26, 2020 at 10:58 am
Over the last three decades, colorectal cancer survival in the United States has improved significantly. But in young people—particularly men diagnosed with colorectal cancer before age 50 ...
- Spermine synthase and MYC cooperate to maintain colorectal cancer cell survival by repressing Bim expressionon June 26, 2020 at 2:10 am
Polyamine metabolism is frequently dysregulated in cancers. Here, the authors show that a polyamine biosynthetic enzyme, spermine synthase, is overexpressed in colorectal cancers and cooperates with ...
- The Future of Colorectal Cancer Care is Precision Medicineon June 25, 2020 at 11:20 am
Doctors and researchers are abuzz about the field of precision medicine as it alters the landscape of cancer care. Precision ...
- Colorectal Cancer Highlights from ASCO 2020on June 24, 2020 at 4:23 pm
H or MMRd metastatic colorectal cancer, and other key CRC results presented during the ASCO 2020 virtual meeting are discussed by Dr Benjamin Weinberg.
- Colorectal Cancer Therapeutics Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis By Size, Growth Rate and Trends With Forecast To 2026on June 24, 2020 at 6:12 am
Colorectal Cancer Therapeutics Market2020 Global Industry Trends, Size, Share Analysis Report. According to this ...
- Guardant Health's Blood Cancer Test Detects Early-Stage Colon Canceron June 22, 2020 at 2:08 pm
Results from a study by Guardant Health (NASDAQ: GH), presented at the American Association for Cancer Research Virtual Annual Meeting II, showed the company's Lunar-2 blood test can detect ...
- Florida father recovering from colon cancer says his son was instrumental in recoveryon June 21, 2020 at 6:05 am
A Florida father made a remarkable recovery in time for Father’s Day. “You don’t have family, you don’t have anything,” Sean Schwinghammer ...
- Trey Mancini, Orioles partner with Colorectal Cancer Alliance to raise awareness for colon canceron June 18, 2020 at 5:44 pm
Trey Mancini and the Orioles are partnering with the Colorectal Cancer Alliance to help raise awareness for colon cancer.
- Orioles to sell #F16HT T-shirts in support of Mancini's fight against colon canceron June 18, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Baltimore Orioles outfielder Trey Mancini is raising awareness that you can't be too young to be diagnosed with colon cancer.
The Latest Google Headlines on: Therapeutic stem cells
The Latest Bing News on: Therapeutic stem cells
- Leukemia Therapeutics Market 2020 By Therapy, Type, Share, Growth, Recent Trends and Forecast Analysis to 2026on June 29, 2020 at 8:37 am
Leukemia Therapeutics Market with COVID-19 impact analysis provides wholesome information about the market size, share, and future trends. The insightful details mentioned by Value Market Research ...
- Global Leukemia Therapeutics Market By Factor, By Severity, By Blood Cell, By Age Groups, By Sex, By Treatment,on June 29, 2020 at 7:08 am
Global Leukemia Therapeutics Market By Factor (Artificial ionizing radiation, Viruses, Chemotherapy, Genetics, Immune suppression, Others), By Severity (Acute, Chronic), By Blood Cell (Lymphocytic, ...
- R3 International Offering New Program for Stem Cell Therapy for Liver Failure in Mexicoon June 28, 2020 at 9:32 pm
R3 International is now offering a new program for stem cell therapy for liver failure in Mexico. The program offers up to 200 million stem cells, with the cost starting at only $8975.
- New leader of Minneapolis' Be The Match breaks down stem-cell process, busts mythson June 27, 2020 at 1:39 pm
The international nonprofit organization based in Minneapolis provides lifesaving blood stem cell therapy to people of all ages around the world.
- New leader of St. Paul's Be The Match breaks down stem-cell process, busts mythson June 26, 2020 at 12:16 pm
The international nonprofit organization based in St. Paul provides lifesaving blood stem cell therapy to people of all ages around the world.
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market By Current Industry Status,Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, Target Audience And Forecast To 2027on June 26, 2020 at 1:35 am
Stem cell reconstructive surgery involves the treatment of injured or damaged part of body. Stem cells are undifferentiated biological cells, which divide to produce more stem cells. The major factors ...
- Stem Cell Market Research Report 2020-2025: Adult, Human Embryonic, & Pluripotent Stem Cells, and Other Typeson June 25, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2020-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global stem cell market is experiencing growth, owing to the increasing number of clinical ...
- New insights into the ex vivo expansion of transplantable human blood stem cellson June 25, 2020 at 9:47 am
Researchers from Lund Stem Cell Center have identified a novel target for the expansion of human blood stem cells ex vivo and shed light on the mechanism of action of a stem cell promoting molecule, ...
- Emerging routes to the generation of functional β-cells for diabetes mellitus cell therapyon June 25, 2020 at 6:35 am
This Review highlights the research advances, advantages and challenges in several different strategies for generating functional β-cells for therapeutic use in diabetes mellitus. In addition, ...
- R3 International Offering Stem Cell Therapy Program for Anti Aging in Mexicoon June 23, 2020 at 9:13 pm
R3 Stem Cell International announced a new program offering stem cell therapy for anti aging in Mexico. The program offers several o ...