The first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human
Last Wednesday in Paris, a 75 year-old man received an artificial heart. That in itself might not be newsworthy, as such devices have been in use since the early 80s. In this case, however, the gadget in question was the first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human. According to its inventor, cardiac surgeon Alain Carpentier, it’s the world’s first self-regulating artificial heart.
When Carpentier uses the term “self-regulating,” he refers to the Carmat’s ability to speed up or slow down its flow rate based on the patient’s physiological needs – if they’re performing a vigorous physical activity, for instance, the heart will respond by beating faster. This is made possible via “multiple miniature embedded sensors” and proprietary algorithms running on its integrated microprocessor.
Most other artificial hearts, by contrast, beat at a constant unchanging rate. This means that patients either have to avoid too much activity, or risk becoming breathless and exhausted quickly.
According to a Reuters report, although the Carmat is similar in size to a natural adult human heart, it’s a little on the big side. It should therefore fit inside 86 percent of men, but only 20 percent of women – that said, the company has stated that a smaller model could be made. It’s also almost three times heavier than a real heart, tipping the scales at approximately 900 grams (2 lb).
Power comes from an external lithium-ion battery pack worn by the patient, and a fuel cell is in the works.
The Latest on: Artificial heart
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial heart
- Artificial Heart Lung Machines Market Key Trends, Manufacturers in Globe, Benefits, Opportunities to 2025on December 2, 2019 at 7:18 am
Dec 02, 2019 (Market Research Analyst via COMTEX) -- An artificial heart-lung machine is used in open heart surgeries to support the proper functioning of the heart and body during the surgery. The ...
- World Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Industry Outlook, 2019-2024 - Market Set to Register a CAGR of 6.5% Over 2019-2024on November 20, 2019 at 3:55 am
DUBLIN, Nov. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024" report has been added to ...
- Global Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market Report, 2019-2024 Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 18, 2019 at 7:02 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market Study (2019-2024): World Market Projected to Surpass $410 Million by 2024on November 18, 2019 at 6:10 am
Dublin, Nov. 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024" report has been added to ...
- 7-month-old St. Augustine girl gets artificial heart transplant, still waiting for her permanent hearton September 11, 2019 at 5:32 pm
The Shands Children's Hospital in Gainesville is where they've been for the past seven months. On Wednesday, Phoebe got an artificial heart during a seven to eight-hour surgery. "She has been so ...
- Kolkata man completes a decade with artificial hearton September 10, 2019 at 2:21 am
KOLKATA: For the last one decade, Kolkata resident Santosh Dugar has been living with an artificial heart, making him one of the longest survivors in the country with a prosthetic device that is ...
via Bing News