Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Coinbase Co-Founder Invests In Project To Bridge Bitcoin And Ethereumon April 3, 2020 at 3:21 pm
The Keep network, a privacy layer for Ethereum, has closed a private $7.7M token sale led by Paradigm, Fenbushi Capital, ParaFI Capital, A. Capital, and Collaborative Fund.
- Bitcoin Is Not A Store Of Valueon April 3, 2020 at 12:07 pm
A common Bitcoin bull claim is that Bitcoin is a store of value. We dispute that claim. Value is not maintained in something with Bitcoin's degree of volatility ...
- Bitcoin Extends Rally as Trading Volume for CME Futures Hits Three-Week Highon April 3, 2020 at 8:55 am
Bitcoin futures volumes on CME picked up the pace on Thursday as bitcoin extended the recent rally to levels above $7,200.
- P2P Exchange Hodl Hodl Takes First Step in Bringing Private Bitcoin Trades to BlueWallet Userson April 3, 2020 at 8:00 am
In the works since late 2019, BlueWallet, a non-custodial mobile crypto wallet for iOS and Android, is integrating with Hodl Hodl, a peer-to-peer exchange, to add private bitcoin (BTC) trades to the ...
- FBI Used Bitcoin Trail to Catch Russian Rapper Accused of Money Launderingon April 3, 2020 at 5:34 am
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) used bitcoin wallet activity and an old exchange account as key evidence to arrest a Russian rapper on charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering. In an ...
- Here’s Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90Mon April 3, 2020 at 4:08 am
... s surge above the $6,900 and $7,100 resistance was propelled by $90 million worth of liquidations on BitMEX and Bitfinex The Bitcoin (BTC) price spiked from $6,900 to $7,300 across major ...
- Bitcoin futures volumes hits 2-Week high as buyers pile back into BTCon April 3, 2020 at 3:55 am
Bitcoin (BTC) is capturing investor attention once more as futures markets hit their highest volume since markets crashed below $4,000. According to data from monitoring resource Skew, April 2 saw the ...
- Satoshi Nakaboto: ‘Bitcoin exchanges see user influx since coronavirus outbreak’on April 3, 2020 at 3:14 am
That’s a respectable 2.82 percent increase in 24 hours, or $186. It was the highest closing price in twenty-one days. We’re still 66 percent below Bitcoin‘s all-time high of $20,089 (December 17 2017) ...
- Manufacturers Mark Down Bitcoin Miners as Price Drop, Halving Change Calculuson April 3, 2020 at 1:06 am
causing most miners to be less profitable if bitcoin’s price doesn’t increase significantly by then. Related: Binance Crypto Exchange Is Launching Its First Bitcoin Mining Pool For instance, DJ Miner, ...
- Bull Bitcoin Announces Canadian Dollar Payments on Liquid Through L-CADon April 2, 2020 at 12:08 pm
Bull Bitcoin, a Canada-based Bitcoin exchange, has announced that it has developed Liquid CAD (L-CAD), a non-custodial, prepaid voucher denominated in Canadian dollars, issued on the Liquid network.
via Bing News