Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin Closes on First February Price Loss Since 2014on February 28, 2020 at 3:34 am
If history is a guide, bitcoin may yet rise above the June 2019 high of $13,880 ahead of the May 2020 halving, setting a new cycle top from the bear market low of $3,122 reached in December 2018.
- Exclusive: Leak Reveals Surprising Reason Major Bitcoin Exchange Luno Is Adding Ripple’s XRPon February 28, 2020 at 3:02 am
London-based bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange Luno is adding support for Ripple's XRP, the third-largest cryptocurrency by value behind bitcoin and ethereum. Here's ...
- Price of Bitcoin Drops After $150 Million Liquidated on BitMEXon February 28, 2020 at 2:48 am
BitMEX exchange saw a YTD record as a huge number of Bitcoin was liquidated for $150 million. Over $150 million worth of Bitcoin was sold on major cryptocurrency exchange BitMEX today Today the ...
- Bitcoin Daily: Steven Seagal To Pay $314,000 Fine - pymnts.comon February 28, 2020 at 2:17 am
Actor Steven Seagal was at the center of charges now settled with the Securities and Exchanges commission related to cryptocurrency investments, according to CNBC on Thursday (Feb. 27). Seagal, ...
- SEC Fines Steven Seagal For ‘Unlawfully Touting’ Bitcoin-Wannabe Bitcoiin In 2017 ICOon February 27, 2020 at 4:08 pm
Actor Steven Seagal, known for a string of blockbuster martial arts movies through out the late 1980s and 1990s, has been charged with "unlawfully touting" a bitcoin-wannabe by the U.S. Securities and ...
- Bitcoin Fraud Class Action Shows Crypto Litigation Hurdleson February 27, 2020 at 8:52 am
The vulnerability of the cryptocurrency market to market manipulation was a critical consideration in the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission denial of Bitcoin exchange-traded fund applications by ...
- SEC Quashes Dreams of Bitcoin ETF With Another Rejectionon February 26, 2020 at 1:28 pm
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission disapproved the last proposal for a Bitcoin exchange-traded fund, likely destroying any remnants of hope from digital currency fans that a fund would get ...
- ‘Short Bitcoin’ ETP Available to Investors on Germany’s Second-Largest Exchangeon February 25, 2020 at 7:04 am
A "short bitcoin" exchange-traded product (ETP), which inversely tracks the value of the top cryptocurrency by market cap, is now available to investors throughout Europe. Swiss crypto product ...
- Insolvent Exchange FCoin Had Bitcoin Outflow Problems Just Two Months After Launch: Reporton February 21, 2020 at 1:02 pm
The FCoin exchange, which revealed its insolvency this week, may have already had issues as early as July 2018.
- Infographic: An Overview of Compromised Bitcoin Exchange Eventson May 24, 2019 at 1:14 pm
This article was originally published in Bitcoin Magazine's 2019 print issue. It is periodically updated as exchange compromises occur. This infographic visualizes some of the most significant bitcoin ...
via Bing News