Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin whale clusters show these are the strong support levelson November 27, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Whale clusters show that the key short term support areas for Bitcoin are $16,694, $16,411, and $16,064. Since topping out at $19,484, Bitcoin price has struggled to reclaim the $17,000-$18,000 level.
- Here are key reasons bitcoin prices are tumbling, and the bullish factors that may buoy themon November 27, 2020 at 11:40 am
Bitcoin prices on Friday were being pummeled, pushing the cryptocurrency into correction territory. Here are some key reasons.
- $50 Billion Crash—What Next For Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple’s XRP, Litecoin And Chainlink?on November 27, 2020 at 4:12 am
The sudden sell-off wiped around $50 billion from the value of the world's combined cryptocurrencies and has left bitcoin and crypto traders fearful a further drop could be on its ...
- Quick Bitcoin Price Recovery Looks in Doubt as Whales Move Coins Onto Exchangeson November 27, 2020 at 4:09 am
Bitcoin may have a tough time charting a V-shaped recovery to recent highs in the short term, with on-chain activity showing increased selling pressure in the market. Blockchain analytics firm ...
- Bitcoin Steadies After Biggest Slump Since March’s Meltdownon November 26, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Bitcoin and other digital coins steadied Friday after posting some of the biggest declines since the onset of the pandemic, a selloff that stoked fresh questions about this year’s boom in ...
- A Millennial Crypto Victory Bigger Than the Price of Bitcoinon November 26, 2020 at 3:06 pm
The Indian entrepreneurs are like the lemonade-stand kids who beat back Big Government. Their elders will catch up.
- Bitcoin dives as red-hot rally hits the bufferson November 26, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Bitcoin plunged on Thursday to its lowest level in 10 days, slamming the brakes on its blistering rally and sparking a sell-off among smaller digital coins.
- Crypto exchange Coinbase hit by connection, latency problems as bitcoin plummetson November 26, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase said on Thursday its retail and professional-focused platforms were hit by tech problems, with users reporting difficulty trading as bitcoin plunged towards its ...
- Asset Manager Vaneck Launches Physically-Backed Bitcoin Exchange-Traded Noteon November 25, 2020 at 8:18 pm
The Vaneck issued exchange-traded note is physically-backed by bitcoin and listed on the trading exchange Deutsche Böerse Xetra.
- Is This The Real Reason Bitcoin Has Suddenly Soared Toward Its All-Time Highs?on November 25, 2020 at 4:10 pm
After payments giant PayPal revealed it would begin to support bitcoin buying and spending services last month, blockchain investment firm Pantera Capital has declared a "bitcoin ...
via Bing News