In what could be their most revolutionary project to date, CERN physicists are set to begin an experiment to determine if antigravity exists.
Researchers will use the unique ability of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) to produce and store antimatter to test an idea that has so far existed only in the realms of science fiction. According to some theories, antimatter may generate a gravitational field that repels anything around it rather than attracting it in the way that normal matter does.
If proven, such a discovery would revolutionise physics – and might have radical practical applications, ranging from aircraft that need scarcely any fuel to space drives that could reach other star systems, The Sunday Times reported. “Antimatter is an enigma,” said Professor Jeffrey Hangst, a lead investigator on the team building the Alpha-2 experiment at CERN which will investigate antimatter’s properties. ”We know that it is like the mirror image of matter, with many of its key properties reversed. What we want to find out is whether that includes its gravitational properties. “Put simply, if we put antimatter into a gravitational field like that of the Earth, does it fall upwards or downwards? If it falls upwards, repelled by the Earth, then we would have discovered something very new and exciting,” he was quoted by the paper as saying. At CERN, Hangst and his colleagues have created a magnetic trap, where atoms of antihydrogen can be held almost stationary in a powerful magnetic field. ALPHA was the first experiment to trap atoms of antihydrogen – neutral antimatter atoms held in place with a strong magnetic field for up to 1000 seconds.
The problem is that this field is so powerful that scientists cannot measure the effect of gravity. Current theoretical arguments predict that hydrogen and antihydrogen atoms have the same mass and should interact with gravity in the same way. If an atom is released, it should experience a downward force whether it’s made of matter or antimatter. “Our apparatus cannot even show us if antimatter falls up or down, so we are building something much more sensitive,” said Hangst.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Watchmaking Wizard Who Doesn’t Like Watcheson October 12, 2020 at 1:57 pm
I love the mechanics,” Eric Coudray said, “but the watch itself as an object, it doesn’t really touch me.” Credit...Aurélien Bergot for The New York Times By Alexandra Cheney When Eric Coudray ...
- Hackaday Prize Entry: Antigravity Arm Floatieson October 6, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Thus, [Mike] invented 3D printed antigravity arm floaties. The name basically tells the story — these antigravity arm floaties work well to counter the pull of gravity for individuals with lo ...
- ‘Antigravity’ Sailboat Floats under the Water’s Surfaceon October 2, 2020 at 5:19 am
In this digitally colorized image, one of two small sailboats floats on the underside of a blue layer of water. Researchers filled a container with viscous liquid, which they vibrated vigorously at a ...
- Ishaan Khatter Spills Beans on Fitness Regime He Undertook for Khaali Peeli, Says Went All Out in Terms of Dieton October 1, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Ishaan Khatter has left no stone unturned to achieve a certain body type in his upcoming project, Khaali Peeli.
- Went all out in terms of diet: Ishaan Khatter as he dishes on fitness regime for 'Khaali Peeli'on October 1, 2020 at 6:57 am
The 24-year-old actor shared that he has left no stone unturned to achieve a certain body type in his upcoming project and 'went all out in terms of his diet' for the special role in the film.
- Introducing Antigravity® Yoga at Four Seasons Hotel Bahrain Bayon September 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The Spa at Four Seasons Hotel Bahrain Bay announces an exciting new addition to its health and wellbeing offering: AntiGravity Aerial Yoga. The first urban resort in the Middle East to offer ...
- Kohl's shoppers adore this antigravity chair—and it's half off right nowon September 10, 2020 at 9:54 am
And right now, Kohl’s is offering a pretty big incentive to shop one of its most popular models—the Sonoma Goods For Life antigravity chair—as it's currently 50% off. Need help finding products?
- Vibration overcomes gravity on a levitating fluidon September 2, 2020 at 10:22 am
It now emerges that an ‘antigravity’ effect enables objects to float upside down on the air–fluid interface. Vibrational forces can induce upside-down floating. Skip to main content ...
- Did Boyd Bushman Provide Evidence of Alien Contact?on March 18, 2019 at 9:38 am
Patterson shortly before he passed away at age 78 in August 2014: Bushman went out with an extraterrestrial disclosure bang, making claims about having worked on projects involving antigravity ...
- Increase your agility with "AntiGravity Yoga"on August 21, 2018 at 8:22 am
Created by NY-based aerial performance group "AntiGravity" (think Cirque de Soleil) and Crunch yoga director Jess Gronholm, the new class combines yoga, Pilates, aerial moves, inversions and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Multi-billion CERN experiment 'proves GOD' is real, claims Bible experton October 9, 2020 at 6:02 am
SCIENTISTS at CERN have proven the existence of God when they observed for the first time the ultra-rare decay of the so-called "God Particle", a Christian evangelist has bizarrely announced.
- The Future of CERN's Large Hadron Collider For Humanity: a Necessity or a Waste?on October 9, 2020 at 2:22 am
While there are voices that disagree with the ongoing modernization and expansion of CERN, Alexandr Jucov and his team believe such research is vital to our future. In a press release, World Lab ...
- The Future of CERN’s Large Hadron Collider For Humanity: a Necessity or a Waste?on October 9, 2020 at 2:12 am
Story continues While there are voices that disagree with the ongoing modernization and expansion of CERN, Alexandr Jucov and his team believe such research is vital to our future. In a press release, ...
- The Future of CERN’s Large Hadron Collider For Humanity: a Necessity or a Waste?on October 9, 2020 at 2:09 am
© 2020 Insider Inc. and finanzen.net GmbH (Imprint). All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service and ...
- CERN breakthrough: Physicists observe extremely rare decay of the GOD Particleon October 8, 2020 at 7:14 am
PARTICLE physicists at CERN have observed for the very first time the decay of the enigmatic God Particle, hoping the breakthrough could explain why matter has mass.
- Extremely rare Higgs boson decay process spottedon October 7, 2020 at 5:56 am
The Higgs boson reached overnight fame in 2012 when it was finally discovered in a jumble of other particles generated at CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland. The discovery was ...
- Why Google builds quantum computers, the LGBT+ experience in physics, CERN’s carbon footprinton October 1, 2020 at 8:19 am
In this episode of the Physics World Weekly podcast Google’s Sergio Boixo explains why the tech giant is building its own quantum computers. Boixo will be a plenary speaker at the upcoming Quantum ...
- Overlooked for the Nobel: the CERN physicists who discovered the Higgs bosonon September 29, 2020 at 8:54 am
The Higgs boson had been discovered at CERN in July 2012, and it was pretty obvious that the 2013 prize would be related to the discovery. The big question was would it go to the theorists who ...
- Pope Francis names CERN chief Gianotti to science academyon September 29, 2020 at 4:13 am
(ANSA) - VATICAN CITY, SEP 29 - Pope Francis on Tuesday named CERN Director-General Fabiola Gianotti a member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. Gianotti, who turns 60 on October 29 ...
- Pope names CERN chief Gianotti to science academyon September 29, 2020 at 3:53 am
Pope Francis on Tuesday named CERN Director-General Fabiola Gianotti a member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. Gianotti, who turns 60 on October 29, is an experimental particle physicist, and ...