New South Wales professor in US rolled back the key indicators of ageing to make two-year-old mice appear six months old
Australian and US researchers hope an anti-ageing compound could be trialled on humans as early as next year, following a key breakthrough that saw the ageing process reversed in mice.
Two-year-old mice were given a compound over a week, moving back the key indicators of ageing to that of a six-month-old mouse. Researchers said this was the equivalent of making a 60-year-old person feel like a 20-year-old.
It’s hoped the research, published in Cell, will be expanded to humans as early as next year, with scientists set to look at how the theory of age reversal can be used to treat diseases such as cancer, dementia and diabetes.
The research focused on an area of cells, called mitochondria, which produce energy. Over time, the communication between this area and the cell nucleus degrades, leading to the ageing process.
Researchers injected a chemical called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NAD, which reduces in the body as we age. The addition of this compound led to the radical reversal in the ageing of the mice.
“The ageing process we discovered is like a married couple: when they are young, they communicate well, but over time, living in close quarters for many years, communication breaks down,” said the UNSW professor David Sinclair, who is based at Harvard Medical School. “And just like a couple, restoring communication solved the problem.”
Dr Nigel Turner, senior research fellow at UNSW and co-author of the study, told Guardian Australia the rate of age reversal in mice was “amazingly rapid”.
“We mapped the pathway to ageing carefully, but it was a real surprise to see the markers of ageing move back so quickly in just a week,” he said.
Turner said a “magic pill” that reverses ageing is several years away, partially due to the cost of the compound, which would be about $50,000 a day for a human.
The Latest on: Anti-ageing
via Google News
The Latest on: Anti-ageing
- Skincare Makeup Is the Rising Trend Anti-Aging Enthusiasts Will Loveon November 14, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Powder is admittedly not for everyone—unless we’re talking about a formula that conceals pores, blends imperfections, and provides a dose of anti-aging benefits. The long-term results might convince ...
- Scientists to test anti-ageing pill on dogs in largest-ever study of canine longevityon November 14, 2019 at 4:15 pm
“Unfortunately, he ages much, much faster than I do.” But she is torn by the prospect of an anti-ageing pill because so many abandoned dogs go without care. “Just because we can, should we?” Compared ...
- Anti-ageing winners for early signs of fine lines and wrinkleson November 14, 2019 at 9:44 am
Anti-ageing skincare is something I've been using since I was in my early 20s... Call it a preventative measure. But now, it's essential. Here's what I still use... A well-rounded skincare routine ...
- Scientists are on the hunt for dogs to test an anti-ageing pill that could work for humanson November 14, 2019 at 9:12 am
Unfortunately, he ages much, much faster than I do.' But she's torn by the prospect of an anti-aging pill because so many abandoned dogs go without care. 'Just because we can, should we?' Compared to ...
- The gender beauty gap: Why are women’s anti-ageing creams more expensive than men’s?on November 13, 2019 at 11:00 pm
As the years go by, many of us turn to anti-ageing creams, desperate to turn back the hands (and face and neck) of time. Time shows no gender bias, either; fine lines, wrinkles, sagging and weakened ...
- This ‘Magic’ Anti-Aging Eye Cream Will Banish Wrinkles and Dark Circleson November 12, 2019 at 4:03 pm
You can still tackle the same issues—like puffiness, dark circles, and wrinkles—but keep your budget safely intact. While finding a drugstore-price eye cream that actually delivers on all of it’s anti ...
- Korea's 2019 Anti-Aging Expo in Changwon-si, Gyeongsangnam-doon November 10, 2019 at 5:00 pm
SEOUL, South Korea, Nov. 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2019 Anti-Aging Expo (AAGE2019), in relation to Gyeongsangnam-do's main business idea of 'The future 50 years of Gyeongnam' since 2014, will be ...
- The best anti-aging night creamon November 9, 2019 at 1:23 pm
That's because no one enjoys looking in the mirror and seeing more fine lines and wrinkles than they had on their previous birthday. If your skincare routine has the right anti-aging night cream, ...
- The 11 best anti-ageing skincare products that are also good for the environmenton November 6, 2019 at 11:00 pm
‘Age reversing’, ‘plumping’ and ‘perfecting’ are some of the key words in our quest for ageless skin, but what about this year’s biggest beauty buzzword - 'sustainable'? We know we should be making ...
- Experts reveal everything you need to know about anti-ageing skincareon November 6, 2019 at 4:12 pm
A skin specialist has shared her top anti-ageing skincare secrets - including the ingredients to use to ward off the signs of getting older and when your skin really starts to lose collagen. Lucy Shaw ...
via Bing News