China’s new stealthy unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), dubbed Sharp Sword by the domestic media, shows its eagerness to catch up in the field of drone technology.
It bears a striking similarity in its overall shape to the bat-winged RQ-170 Sentinel, built by the US company Lockheed Martin and operated by the Americans since around 2007.
China is thus well-behind the Americans but is fast developing an impressive UAV capability of its own.
Little is known about the precise specifications and capabilities of the Chinese drone.
What is clear from recent air shows and the Chinese technical press is that China has developed a variety of UAVs matching virtually every category deployed by the US.
They range from small tactical drones of limited endurance to much larger systems that look strikingly like US Reaper or Predator models, and just like their US counterparts some of these Chinese drones are equipped with hard-points on their wings to carry munitions.
The two leading players in the drone club – the US and Israel – have developed UAVs for a variety of purposes. These range from intelligence-gathering to strikes against targets on the ground.
Not surprisingly, China sees UAVs in exactly the same light.
UAVs are fast becoming an especially useful tool for Beijing in monitoring activity over contested areas of the South China and East China Seas.
They are also an easy way to demonstrate presence in a disputed zone. China is believed to have converted a number of out-of-date J-6 fighters into UAVs, which may well be being used to monitor the disputed Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands.
Japan hopes to deploy advanced US-built drones for similar surveillance purposes.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Are Armed Drone Swarms A Weapon Of Mass Destruction?on June 29, 2020 at 7:59 am
Armed fully autonomous drone swarms are an entirely possible end-goal from the conflux of a host of drone technologies, like cheap airframes, automated targeting, swarming, and explosive payloads, ...
- Qassem Soleimani: Iran issues arrest warrant for Donald Trump over drone strike killingon June 29, 2020 at 7:45 am
Iran has reportedly issued an arrest warrant for US President Donald Trump over the drone strike that killed a top Iranian general - and has asked Interpol to help detain him. Mr Trump and more than ...
- The Surge Nobody's Talking About: The U.S. War In Somaliaon June 29, 2020 at 6:56 am
All told, five Somali civilians—including two children—died that day in 2017, according to an investigation conducted by human rights organization Amnesty International, which in recent years has ...
- Pakistan army says Indian spy drone shot down in Kashmiron June 28, 2020 at 10:22 am
Pakistan’s military says it shot down a small Indian spy drone that flew hundreds of meters into the Pakistani-administered side of Kashmir ...
- See This Picture? Meet Israel’s New Starliner Drone.on June 26, 2020 at 1:03 pm
A new type of large drone, capable of doing surveillance or border security and other missions, may be flying over civilian airspace of countries in the near future. While large drones have generally ...
- Transformers War for Cybertron Weaponizer Pack Revealed by Hasbroon June 26, 2020 at 10:36 am
Hasbro wants you to stock your Transformers arsenal with the newest Pulse exclusive Centurion Drone Weaponizer Pack.
- Army announces first joint response to combating weaponized droneson June 26, 2020 at 7:17 am
The Army announced that some of the top candidates to counter a battlefield threat U.S. Central Command Gen. Frank McKenzie described as a “new component of warfare” could be bought at Costco and ...
- Trump Escalates Killer Drone War and No One Seems to Careon June 24, 2020 at 9:42 pm
America’s drone wars have become even more destructive at the same time they have become increasingly opaque. The Trump administration has significantly increased the tempo of drone strikes in a ...
- Syrian Air Defenses Intercept Drone Attack on Mediterranean Coast: Syrian TVon June 23, 2020 at 5:24 am
Syrian air defenses intercepted an unknown drone attack in the airspace of the Syrian city of Jableh on the Mediterranean coast, state media said on Monday. It gave no details. Previously, rebels have ...
- The Weird And Worrying Drone War In The Caucasuson June 22, 2020 at 7:49 am
Conflict between Azerbaijan and breakaway state Artsakh backed by Armenia is turning into a drone arms race with far-reaching implications.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drones carrying organic disinfectants launched in Kancheepuramon June 29, 2020 at 9:45 am
A project to spray organic disinfectant solutions using drones was launched by Kancheepuram district police on Monday in association with a Bengaluru-based firm. Deputy Inspector General of Police (D ...
- Game of Drones Returns: Welcome to HoverGames 2on June 29, 2020 at 9:31 am
NXP’s HoverGames is now in its second iteration. The developer kit in the competition centers around the RDDRONE-FMUK44FMU flight management unit (FMU) that contains a Kinetis K66 SoC based on a ...
- Global Consumer (Recreational) Drones Market Report (2020 to 2030) - COVID-19 Growth and Change - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 29, 2020 at 8:05 am
This report provides strategists, marketers and senior management with the critical information they need to assess the global consumer drones market. This report focuses on consumer drones market ...
- US Marines bring hi-tech RQ-21A Blackjack drones to Darwin for the first timeon June 29, 2020 at 7:30 am
A Blackjack surveillance drones to deploy in Australian airspace for the first time. Bridget Glynn, a spokeswoman for the Marines in Darwin, said this year’s rotation included a small Marine Unmanned ...
- Global Commercial Drones Market Assessment 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 29, 2020 at 5:15 am
Forecasts from 2020 to 2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global commercial drones market was valued at US$6.044 billion in 2019. Implementation of strict yet simple ...
- Can Pocket-Sized Radars Protect Us From Drones—and Drone Collisions?on June 29, 2020 at 4:32 am
Eben Frankenberg is proposing a unique solution to security challenges posed by drones: take the sophisticated phased-array radar technology used by military jet fighters and scale it down it to ...
- 'Thank You': Drones Light up Madrid Sky to Pay Tribute to Covid-19 Victimson June 29, 2020 at 1:40 am
Forty programmed drones with multi-coloured LED lights shone over Madrid creating different forms including a heart and two people, messages of 'hope' and 'thank you' and flags of other countries ...
- Baylor commit Kyron Drones eager for Elite 11 Finals competitionon June 28, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Kyron Drones has earned his spot among the most decorated quarterbacks in the 2021 class. The Alvin (Texas) Shadow Creek standout and Baylor pledge led his team to a 16-0 record and the Texas Class 5A ...
- Drones and CCTV: surveillance for safety on the sand in Spainon June 27, 2020 at 5:20 pm
Surveillance is the watchword at the seaside this summer, with Spanish beaches using drones, cameras and coloured tape to ensure safety for tourists holidaying in the shadow of the virus. Although the ...
- These drones drop PPE and COVID-19 test samples to medical facilities using tiny parachutes — here's how it workson June 27, 2020 at 5:34 am
The deliveries, using drones from Zipline, are the first long-range drone logistics flights approved by the FAA.